The adventures of a complete noob and a brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fyi: this pump head is mounted upside down.

63735d1338830665-adventures-complete-noob-brew-rig-image-2176498336.jpg

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
fyi: this pump head is mounted upside down.

Cheers!

Thank you! It still confuses me a bit as to why the port needs to be on the bottom, but I understand that it does.

Why do you say this? I've seen guys on welding forums saying what a great bang for the buck they are.

I suppose you also have to look at which kind you a buying. I am talking about the Auto-Dark helmets. The cheapies don't switch fast enough to prevent some of the arc flash. So you get eyestrain w/o even knowing it. That's why they suck. If you just have a 'manual' hood, that is always on/dark it's not such an issue.

And I've talked to Union Welders who do it for a living say they will blind you. I have a buddy who got one becuase his old one broke and he NEEDED to weld the next day. His eyes were so sore after one day of welding that he threw it out and was able to get a real helmet before his next major weld day.

FransReichert said:
Thanks for the writ up, just what another noob need!!

You are welcome ! Everything I did I saw on this very forum. Building has been as much fun as brewing!

image-234698428.jpg

Stopping work for a quick cigar city Jai Lai IPA break

image-184741196.jpg

Here is my first burner test. First I checked all my fittings with soapy water for leaks and yes I had some because I didn't adequately tighten beforehand. The burner test fire appeared to be a success. Tonight I will through my keggles up there to see how it goes with the kegs over the flame. I am predicting a need for burner shrouds which I have not made any plans for as of yet. I'll probably need some advice.

FransReichert said:
Please do a write up with photo's of your next brew in this rig. I do not understand the working of the rig yet.

I would be happy to. I will actually post it right to this thread. It will be a while though since I still have to pony up some cash for all the tubing and quick disconnects.... I'm sure there are a few other things too

check the settings on those burners, they look WAY orange, usually there is only a tip of orange with the flames mostly blue

Rivenin said:
check the settings on those burners, they look WAY orange, usually there is only a tip of orange with the flames mostly blue

Do I do that by adjusting the airflow vents? Am I looking for more or less air?

Nice work! Did you get your metal local? If so, do you mind saying who you got it from? I live in Tampa too and need to get some for a project.

hansonian said:
Nice work! Did you get your metal local? If so, do you mind saying who you got it from? I live in Tampa too and need to get some for a project.

Thank you! I went to Tampa steel. The local outlet is located right off orient rd near the prison just north of Adamo. Hope this helps. Do you attend any local brewing clubs? I'm still pretty new so I haven't done anything like that yet.

PunkinDrublic said:
One of my favorite IPA's! Have you tried the Guava Grove? Great thread btw, the rig is looking great. I'm scribed.

Cigar city Is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewery's. I don't think I've had the Guava Grove though, I'll check that out on my next tour. Thank you for the compliment, it's been a fun build thus far.

Thank you! I went to Tampa steel. The local outlet is located right off orient rd near the prison just north of Adamo. Hope this helps. Do you attend any local brewing clubs? I'm still pretty new so I haven't done anything like that yet.

I haven't met up with any of the local clubs yet. Right now I brew my stuff at home and I have a buddy who does the same thing and then we compare beers afterward. I'd actually like to get out and watch someone else brew just so I can compare their process to mine and see if there's anything I could do more efficiently.

If you ever need a hand on brew day I'd be happy to volunteer just to see your rig in action.

Here's a question for the pros. Since I am using keggles, what is the consensus on the potential of trapped air in the bottom part of a keggle where the metal has been rolled? Anyone ever have a concern with this? I am thinking it would be darn near impossible to drill a hole in that space. This a concern for anyone?

Here's a question for the pros. Since I am using keggles, what is the consensus on the potential of trapped air in the bottom part of a keggle where the metal has been rolled? Anyone ever have a concern with this? I am thinking it would be darn near impossible to drill a hole in that space. This a concern for anyone?

It's a big concern. Definitely drill those holes.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=44238

If there are no holes in the rolled rim, then there is a potential if water leaks in there and it is then heated. There's a sticky in this forum you should review.

Drilling a hole in the rim though is not very hard. Use a center punch to dimple the metal, then use a small bit - something less than 1/8 inch. Use even pressure and lubricate the bit with some light machine oil. About 1/2 power on the drill.

EDIT: The sticky is over in the equipment/sanitation forum. Here's the link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/warning-keggle-owners-please-read-41422/

I went ahead and picked up a dremel do I can continue with some loose end projects.

image-107401837.jpg

$40

image-129912106.jpg

This will be my pump switch strategy. Probably thr most basic boring minimally involved approach yet. But I'm pretty sure there will be no death by electrocution either.

This will be my pump switch strategy. Probably thr most basic boring minimally involved approach yet. But I'm pretty sure there will be no death by electrocution either.

I would want to have ground plugs on everything.

BTW great build thread. I had a welding shop put my plans together but now I need to make some big changes and you are giving me confidence to take on the metal work.

Tomtanner said:

Looks to me like you are cutting out the ground to use those switches. Death by electrocution could still be a factor.

Tomtanner said:
I went ahead and picked up a dremel do I can continue with some loose end projects.

$40

That will come in handy just about everywhere

image-2416522232.jpg

The dremel Definitely made cutting of the security box easy. Also uses it to cut slots in the bottom of my hlt so that no air gets trapped.

1. Your documentation is really fantastic. It is quite a learning process.

2. I know almost nothing about AG. Just seeing these steps are helping me get my head around it.

thanks

H-Balm said:
1. Your documentation is really fantastic. It is quite a learning process.

2. I know almost nothing about AG. Just seeing these steps are helping me get my head around it.

thanks

To be honest...... I haven't even brewed my first batch of a.g. Yet!

Awesome Thread, great work on the brewstand. However it confirms my suspicions that it would be cheaper to buy a prefabbed one.

But the experience of building your own is invaluable.

Latest posts

Back