The 72 bottle Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangiant

Reaction score
Just in the planning stages now. I just sold off all my darkroom equipment so the funds are there, I just have to take my time :)

I have a 7cf freezer I think... some old "hotpoint" thing. Will fit 3 kegs comfortably, possibly a co2 bottle, not sure yet. It doesn't need a collar.

Anyway, I also have a pretty extensive beer bottle collection, so I had this idea. I want to put some dealextreme ribbon LED strips on the front bottom edge of each shelf aimed down at the bottles. I'll also put a sheet of lexan/etc in front of the bottles.

Behind the bottles is freezer wall - I plan on painting the freezer a darker color to match the darker tile. This isn't set in stone, I'd like suggestions/opinions on this one. It should allow the freezer a bit of breathing room to efficiently cool.

I'm also planning on using a 15" rinser tray. I have a water/drainage hookup behind each of the walls where this thing may go in my basement.

I'm thinking of gutting the lid and building a reinforcing frame in there - this would also allow me to run the water/drainage lines inside the lid.

I'm also thinking of tee-ing off the water supply and adding a small cold water tap thing:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/replacement-faucet/923094#

My solidworks model is to scale, but mainly for looks - I'll probably wing it a bit when I actually build it.

Comments/suggestions please!

Assem1.jpg

Possible idea...bottles filled with water and re-capped may provide an additional thermal barrier for the keezer due to thermal mass. Hopefully this would reduced the amount of cooling needed in the keezer. Just an idea.

Possible idea...bottles filled with water and re-capped may provide an additional thermal barrier for the keezer due to thermal mass. Hopefully this would reduced the amount of cooling needed in the keezer. Just an idea.

Looks nice but you don't want to insulate the outside of a chest freezer...that's where it radiates the heat energy removed from the interior. If you build an enclosure, you'll want an air gap and fan to move the air between the freezer and shell to keep it cool... others here have done similar.

Cheers

It should work... but even with the gaps between bottles and whatever lexan you put in front of the bottles there is gonna be heat trapped between the freezer wall thus making the freezer work harder. Add you're still gonna have the wood paneling around the borders / edges of it. I would allow a 3" gap between the freezer and any frame, then you can just put thin plywood painted drak behind the bottles. It would increase the footprint of it 3" front to back and 6" side to side though.

Neat idea! Can't wait to see the finished product

Or put that wire fencing over it ,like that guy did with the stones on that bar build I saw here

Back