"Thank a Veteran Week"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutsbrew

Reaction score
Independence Day, which is NOT "fireworks day" or "day off day" or "picnic day", should be a very special time for all of us. Many of us realize that living in a free country is a gift. That gift was brought to us via great men and women who risked their lives and by many who gave it all.

Those currently wearing a military uniform and those who have worn it in the past should be front and center in our minds and hearts this week.

:hs:I'd like to offer an idea for this week and ask that if you agree with the above, and can afford it of course, that we each say "thank you" to a vet on this forum by gifting them a premium membership during this week.:hs:

For every man and woman here who served you are very appreciated.

I am supportive of veterans, but this seems a bit much. We have Memorial Day, to remember our war dead, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. We have Veterans Day, to give thanks to those who served. Independence Day is supposed to commemorate the founding of our country.

And I don't see what this has to do with beer...

I am supportive of veterans, but this seems a bit much. We have Memorial Day, to remember our war dead, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. We have Veterans Day, to give thanks to those who served. Independence Day is supposed to commemorate the founding of our country.

I see your point about being non-beer related. Can moderator move this to appropriate area?

Without veterans (patriots a better term perhaps for those fighting for independence in the late 1700's tho I still refer to them as our original veterans) nobody would have stood up to England and this free country would not exist. BTW, without our service people we could not have defended this country in WWII. We would not have a free country without our WWII and other veterans, or even a country to speak of at all without our original veterans. Therefore, we would not have an Independence Day that celebrates the founding of this country if not for our veterans. Thus, Independence day is all about our vets.

Feel free to disagree! As for me, I see the direct connection and am happy to say as much. No reason to announce it anywhere if you do provide an upgraded membership, but you might feel pretty good after doing it!

Agree or disagree, smile or roll your eyes, like the idea or poo-poo it, do it or don't. Either way is fine and it is not wrong or right. I just wanted to offer up an idea about what might be a solid way to show gratitude to those who made it possible to put out an American flag on the 4th, or ANY day.

Cheers!

I have to agree.

I am grateful of the sacrifices made by those you have served and are currently serving to allow me to live in a free country.

However it feels like every other day I am getting some "let's thank the military for something".

What about a thank the teachers week? Nurses? Paramedics? Firefighter? Police? They all make sacrafices as well to make life better for the rest of us. Some of them are out there fighting a war on our local streets with drug cartels, running into walls of fire to save your house and trying to save your life when you get hurt blowing your face up with fireworks this coming weekend.

Thanks to those that have served in the military and first responders. Also to the nurses that will sponge bathe you and the teachers for giving me the ability to type this.

Have a great Independence Day weekend and don't forget what this holiday is actually about: celebrating the overthrowing the British government that did not recognize the natural rights it's citizens.

I have to agree.

I am grateful of the sacrifices made by those you have served and are currently serving to allow me to live in a free country.

However it feels like every other day I am getting some "let's thank the military for something".

What about a thank the teachers week? Nurses? Paramedics? Firefighter? Police? They all make sacrafices as well to make life better for the rest of us. Some of them are out there fighting a war on our local streets with drug cartels, running into walls of fire to save your house and trying to save your life when you get hurt blowing your face up with fireworks this coming weekend.

Thanks to those that have served in the military and first responders. Also to the nurses that will sponge bathe you and the teachers for giving me the ability to type this.

Have a great Independence Day weekend and don't forget what this holiday is actually about: celebrating the overthrowing the British government that did not recognize the natural rights it's citizens.

That's your right. Here's to those vets who overthrew the British government!

Cheers!

He's offering this up as an idea. If you don't want to do it or disagree with it, you don't have to be a part of it. To me...one homebrewer offering to gift a membership to another homebrewer on a homebrewing forum has everything to do with beer.

My bad, I missed that part. I thought he was advocating for an official week. Not just on HBT. Sorry OP.

How about I just send my FIL a bunch of beer to enjoy this weekend after he retired from the air force.

My bad, I missed that part. I thought he was advocating for an official week. Not just on HBT. Sorry OP.

How about I just send my FIL a bunch of beer to enjoy this weekend after he retired from the air force.

No worries. I'll keep my thread start postings much shorter in the future.

Have a great day!

a very kind gesture, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

as a veteran, I appreciate being appreciated. :mug:

if you or anyone else would like to do this, I'm all for it. browse thru the "Veterans! Sound Off!" thread, pick any non-member and gift away.

As a veteran it is nice to see we are appreciated. I do agree our country needs to thank teachers, doctors, and especially nurses more often though.

It's a really kind, thoughtful, and patriotic idea. Very much in the homebrew spirit. As a peacetime veteran and retired cop, let me suggest that if people decide to gift veterans, they should consider giving preference to combat veterans.
In any case, Happy Independence Day to everyone!

My dog ate some berries at the weekend and got really sick but he's recovering now so I'm gonna thank a veterinarian instead.

I see your point about being non-beer related. Can moderator move this to appropriate area?

done

fyi: any time anyone needs a mod to do anything, hit the report button
report.gif
. We don't mind and, in fact, we spend most of our day in the HBT offices sitting around playing pinnacle and waiting for the reports.

Back