Texas Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan_PA said:
What are the plans to bring the rig down for harvest?

Untie the stakes and tip it over. Then I'm going to redo it with 4 legs and I'll install a pulley in the top and run some eye bolts down one leg for the polypropylene rope. That way I can pull up Christmas lights and make a massive Christmas Hop Tree and next year, the harvest will be easier.

In any event, I'm happy with the progress so far.

wow, so you can plant and harvest all in one year....I was under the impression it took a few years to establish themselves. Interesting!

98EXL said:
wow, so you can plant and harvest all in one year....I was under the impression it took a few years to establish themselves. Interesting!

I don't know, but I harvested hops back in Utah the first year. Not much, but I had them. I imagine my jumbo Cascade rhizomes will produces something.

98EXL said:
I was under the impression it took a few years to establish themselves.

I think the 3 year rule is more a guideline for optimal harvest. Your plants will still try to reproduce (flower) the first year I would assume, it just won't be as bountiful as it could be.

Wow, I've been gone a week out at Summer camp with my son's Boy Scout Troop and it's amazing at what a week can do.

The jumbo Cascades are doing well and flowering.

4569-Hops22.jpg

My first Cascade Hop Cone! Sweet!

4569-hops23.jpg

homebrewer_99 said:
What size rope are you using?

I only went with 70 lbs considering it's the first year.

That's hop twine I that I got from Fresh Hops when I got my hops. It's pretty thick stuff and the vines climb easily on it.

Nice Ed,
I'd heard so many people say that hops just don't grow well in Central Texas so I haven't even given it a second thought but your success has inspired me to try next season. We've had a very wet and mild summer to date and I'm now foot stomping mad that I didn't give it a go this year. Post more pics as more cones are formed.

Thanks. We have had loads of rain this year so I have not had to water yet. All three of the Jumbo Cascade Rhizomes are producing cones. The Centennials are way behind. I need to get in there and trim again as it's getting pretty bushy. Notice how they've found the conduit pole and are climbing them as well.

Hop-b1.JPG

Hop-b2.JPG

Ed - Your hops are looking good. I would water your centenials with Miracle Grow for several days.

In fact you should water your hops everyday if they are flowering to boost the yield. :fro:

Here pics of mine today. I have them wanting to grow on the pole too, but upside down!!!

3761-HopsJuly72007002.jpg

Here cascades with hop cones.

3761-HopsJuly72007004.jpg

:mug:

No I've haven't seen the news lately... You've had flooding right?

I have an aunt in Dallas/Ft Worth....

I was saying that the centenials need nutrients to boost growth. My hop garding book says to water daily because the flower production uses lots of water. You can also increase the rate of production by keeping them feed well and not just with water.

I'm battling some wilt issues. Yellowing leaves. So I'm dose 'em up with miracle grow.

We've been getting loads of rain. Lake Travis is full at 681 ft. Here's a pic from last Sunday at 699. The Marina where I keep my boat is inaccessible as the road is flooded. The level now is 701 feet, so add another two feet of water to this pic for today's level.

WestBeach.jpg

Most of mine are at the top (14') and looking for somewhere else to climb. Not too many side arms yet, but it has been relatively cool until this week.

One minor plus, I can drive 30 miles inland and see how the pros are doing.

There's some old, old hops nearby. I'll probably make some Ditch Digger's D-Lite for my neighbor with them.

EdWort said:
We've been getting loads of rain. Lake Travis is full at 681 ft. Here's a pic from last Sunday at 699. The Marina where I keep my boat is inaccessible as the road is flooded. The level now is 701 feet, so add another two feet of water to this pic for today's level.

WestBeach.jpg

Lake runneth over!!! 701' is pretty damn deep!

How's the boat?

Just started reading this and I'm impressed by the growth you guys have gotten out of your plants! If I had any idea where I'd be living next year I'd plant some too. *grumble*.

Hey Edwort, you do the Scoutmaster thing? Sounds like fun; I got my Eagle Scout 5-6 yrs ago, right before I had to move. It's a great experience for all involved, it's great that you're doing it!

Schlenkerla said:
Lake runneth over!!! 701' is pretty damn deep!

How's the boat?

That's the level above sea level. The lake is normally anywhere from 1 inch to 180 feet from what my depth finder says. The boat is floating I assume. Can't get to it, can't see it. It's a floating dock, so it should be OK.

That kind of flooding can be scarry. I went didy polin' for catfish the summer before last. My friend has a cabin on stilts next to the river. On his property he had a iron staircase leading down to the river. On that saturday it was ~ 12ft below the bank top.

It rained that might at 9PM for about 2hrs. We crashed all hammered at eleven or so. I go up to take a piss at 6 AM outside. I came running back in to the cabin saying time to go. The river rose about 10' overnight and was gonna crest soon.

Its amazing! There's no substituite for seeing it 1st hand.

BTW - it was easy getting the jon boat off the river this time.

i have a hop question for all you current gardeners out there i have 4 plants that started producing what looks like flowers but im not sure if they are male or female they have long pistils lookings fuzz balls. there is a really bad image of male spikes on the freshops page but i really cant tell if its the same as what i have growing. do females look like that in the beginning and then form cones? does anyone out there have any pictures i could see? should the place i bought the rhizomes from be selling male cuttings when we expect females? i gotta pay down my credit card so i can get the better membership on the forum and be able to post pictures any help is appreciated :mug: cheers

jnielsen said:
i have a hop question for all you current gardeners out there i have 4 plants that started producing what looks like flowers but im not sure if they are male or female they have long pistils lookings fuzz balls. there is a really bad image of male spikes on the freshops page but i really cant tell if its the same as what i have growing. do females look like that in the beginning and then form cones? does anyone out there have any pictures i could see? should the place i bought the rhizomes from be selling male cuttings when we expect females? i gotta pay down my credit card so i can get the better membership on the forum and be able to post pictures any help is appreciated :mug: cheers

Mine started out something like that. There were dozens of little green fuzz balls that eventually turned into cones. The fuzz eventually turned brown and fell off.

We have been inundated with rain and more rain. I have not had to water much at all. Here's what the crop looks like so far. Both Cascade Jumbos and the Centennial have hop cones.

4569-Hops33a.jpg

4569-Hops33b.jpg

They've even spread out and climbed up the tripod poles.

4569-Hops33c.jpg

4569-Hops33d.jpg

All in all, it's been a successful project and I'm looking forward to next year's crop.

Excellent setup Edwort!

This year is my first attempt at growing hops. So far so good but I'm not really sure how to tell when a hop is ready to be picked. If anyone could give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :mug:

Ed, did you ever get any photos of the hop garden just prior to harvest and/or during harvest?
How much did it yield in dried out hops?

LouT said:
Ed, did you ever get any photos of the hop garden just prior to harvest and/or during harvest?
How much did it yield in dried out hops?

wondering the same thing

Nope. No harvest this year. My travel schedule and the incredible amount of rain made it impossible. Looks like I'm set for next year. I'm going to add a 4th pole and a pulley and haul up Christmas lights this year and will be ready to go come spring next year.

This was just year 1, though, right? So I guess the yield wasn't expected to be much.

I can relate to the travel thing -- hoping my schedule doesn't get too sh!tty in the coming months, I have some brewing to do, among other things!

Yeah, it was the first year. They only got about 12 feet high this year. I'm going to have SWMBO keep an eye on it next year so they can be harvested on time before they go brown.

Timing the harvest can be a pain, mine went from too soon to brown in two days of 95F and wind!

Do you just cut the vine and reel it in, then pull the hops off when you get the vine down where you can deal with it? Just curious how it's done.

This is my humble Connecticut hop garden. Cascade in front. New Magnum and Saaz on the side. Nice harvest too.

hopplantso7.jpg

Hmm you guys have got me thinking. I'm not a gardener at all, but my house has vines all over the front that the previous owner planted with chicken wire for them to cling to. Maybe I should rip the vines down and plant hops?????

Nah, SWMBO would shoot me......:cross:

Might be a good idea to replace soil hops are to grow in, as anything very near house may contain lead from prior house paint scrapings (as in, house repaint)..?

EdWort:
Great looking plants. I am planning to plant hops next spring, I was going to build a wooden trellis, however the conduit looks pretty simple. How did it hold up to the weight of the plants?
Thanks.

FSR402 said:
How much sun do these need to grow?
I would like to grow some but I may have to hack down a big maple or two first.

If you go to http://www.freshops.com you can find one or two varieties that require part sun to shade for best growing conditions. I've got a spot in my yard that is a little shady that I'm going to give these a try.

I feel the need to revive this thread.

Ed: Are you continuing the hops this year?

Others in TX: Any updates on your hops?

I just planted 7 different varieties in my garden this year (also near Austin). Wondering if it's worthwhile or not.

Back