Testing element in BK tripping GFI. Need Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tator2k

Reaction score
First round of testing my element in my kettle.

I currently have 10 awg wire ran to L6-30 receptacles. I have don't have my control box finished yet. So I was using a pigtail to allow me to use a 110 GFI outlet for testing.

I verified that I have the proper wiring throughout the system. When I flip the test switch w/o the element I may able to get a good 120v reading at the receptacle. When I plug in the element GFI trips. I also verified I have a the plug end wired correctly including the ground.

What else should I look at here?

Thank you.

Are you dry firing an element? And if so is it an element that can indeed be dry-fired?

Wrong gauge wire won't trip the GFI. You have current leaving the circuit and getting to earth.

Dry-firing an element won't trip it (although it will likely burn up the element)

Check the connections at the element. Make sure neither of them are connected to ground (i.e., the keg).

Disconnect the ground from the keg and test again. (Don't get near the keg during this test!) If it does not trip, then you must have a short to the keg somewhere. Reconnect the ground (now; don't continue to use it without the ground, please).

Not dry firing it. I have 6 gallons of water in the kettle after leak checking everything.

Trips w/o the ground attached. Only two wires touching anything are touching posts of element.

I'm guessing it's the element is bad. I removed the wires from the posts and measured the proper voltage inside the housing w/o tripping anything.

I'm guessing it's the element is bad. I removed the wires from the posts and measured the proper voltage inside the housing w/o tripping anything.

If you can, place a light bulb in the circuit so that you have a load present. I think you will see it trip again.

My thinking is that you have the neutral and ground swapped somewhere. The voltages would all measure correctly without a load.

Thanks I'll try that next. I can follow the ground throughout the system. It seems right as it's green wire to green screw.

Currently it's plugged in directly,not through controllers. I have one of those yellow line checkers that I'll fine and check each step with.

Ok tested all poles from the GFI to the kettle. Everything passed, including a fan connected to a pigtail on the end of the cord from the element.

Put everything back together and now no problems, and running a test boil right now.

Back