Tempted to put hops right in my cup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of pushing beer through hops to the tap but was wondering if you could just submerge em in your cup
It didn't seem to change the beer much but i drank it quick
It wasn't bad
I added two nuggets of hallertauer to a cup of negra modelo style beer
the beers not fully carbonated yet but I'm sipping it a little hear and there Its actually pretty descent It's one of my first lagers and it's an ok departure from alot of IPAs i've been brewing just cause they're quick and guaranteed delicious. This beer was 2 weeks in the primary a month in secondary now on tap for 3 days so far
I'm Hoppy Poppy :) Was curious if this is a common thing hop growers/brewers do Or if it wouldnt do much cause of the short time of submersion in the cup
I like your play on words Golddiggie
Virginia Wolf

This is the first 5L mini keg I've tapped... It's got a honey kissed amber ale in it... I've had about two 12oz glasses so far, and got a little tipsy... I think it's a bit more than the 4.5% ABV that I counted on before carbonating. Getting ready to pull another glass of it...

Seriously tempted to get another tap for the other brew (got two mini's of the amber plus another two of a nice honey porter, about 7% ABV there)...

As soon as I can afford it (hopefully before I need to bottle next) I'll be looking to get some 2.5 gallon or 3 gallon corny kegs... I really like how much head I get from the tap (lots of really nice head, better than just from the bottles)...

I've had it in the kitchen closet, which has been running in the upper 40's to low 50's...

For hopping before drinking, there are plenty that add hops to the keg before pulling brews from it... From my understanding, you would want to do that not long before you start pulling from it. Or dry hop it about a week before you bottle/keg it...

Time to pull another glass... :mug: :drunk:

I let the hops sit in this cup now with half full of beer
Its bringing out some of the flavor It's not bad

Mini kegs seem cool are you buying those or brewing and then filling them yourself?

I just tied off a hop bag with 1.5 oz of Cascade and threw it in my keg of IPA thats already 1/2 gone, within less than a week of kegging it :D I didn't dry hop it, and after tasting the other half of the batch, which had 2.5oz on it, I just had to give my keg a little extra hop blast!!

If you really like it with the extra hops, why not just add it in the keg, in a hop bag? I remember on Brew Masters they ran the different beers through strainers filled with whatever ingredient they wanted to try. I'm sure the more time on the hops the better, though. Maybe some sort of tea bag?

Edit: How bout these bad boys? Comes with 200 for $8.

Here are some larger ones. Only come with 50 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool Yeah I've put hops in my secondarys but Wanted to try right in my cup
I like your teabag Idea If I put a teabag of Hops in like a 1 liter and let it sink down It might impart some deliciousness without having to do it to a whole batch
I could try some different varieties too HMNN Maybe pellets in the bottom
Curious Thanks for the reply Chapa
Virginia Wolf

I just tied off a hop bag with 1.5 oz of Cascade and threw it in my keg of IPA thats already 1/2 gone, within less than a week of kegging it :D I didn't dry hop it, and after tasting the other half of the batch, which had 2.5oz on it, I just had to give my keg a little extra hop blast!!

If you really like it with the extra hops, why not just add it in the keg, in a hop bag? I remember on Brew Masters they ran the different beers through strainers filled with whatever ingredient they wanted to try. I'm sure the more time on the hops the better, though. Maybe some sort of tea bag?

Edit: How bout these bad boys? Comes with 200 for $8.

Here are some larger ones. Only come with 50 though.

i should look into using those to add hops to my kettle, cut down on trudge,

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Let us know how it works if you do it. I'm kind of curious now myself :D

I let the hops sit in this cup now with half full of beer
Its bringing out some of the flavor It's not bad

Mini kegs seem cool are you buying those or brewing and then filling them yourself?

This is my own brew (bought the mini's empty at the LHBS)... I was looking for a way to not have to get so many bottles. They're not as good as corny kegs, by far, but not bad in a pinch.

I need to keep some around for a family gathering/party we're having Feb. 12th... Not sure what else I'll have to bring with me.

I do like the brew warmer than fridge temp... Seems to be more carbonation in the brews when a bit warmer. Still very smooth. This was my second extract brew. The honey porter was my first brew. Got two more in primary still (one going to secondary for aging over a bourbon soaked vanilla bean)...

i should look into using those to add hops to my kettle, cut down on trudge,

I used a nylon 'hop bag' in my last brew... Really cut down on the drek in the pot/kettle... Can't see not using that method moving forward for the hops... Less trudge in the pot, easier it will be to wash the yeast. :D :drunk:

I used a nylon 'hop bag' in my last brew... Really cut down on the drek in the pot/kettle... Can't see not using that method moving forward for the hops... Less trudge in the pot, easier it will be to wash the yeast. :D :drunk:

OT: I also used a nylon hop bag in my last brew, and recirculated the BK back into the hop bag throughout the entire boil. Needless to say I ended up with VEEERY minimal trub at the end of the boil!! I was actually able to use my ball valve to rack into the ferm. Usually because my pick-up tube is in the middle, and only MAYBE 1/8 inch off the bottom, it is usually buried in trub and won't drain. This time it was crystal clear and drained to the last drop :D

I'm using the nylon hop bag, since it can be used multiple times (use, rinse, dry, repeat)...

I picked up a package of 10 Whirlfloc tablets before my last brew-day... Very easy to use, just drop one in during the last 15 minutes of the boil and you're good to go. I didn't see any trace of it in the wort. The real test will be when I go to bottle that brew...

For hops, you could use one of the metal tea bags (to hold the hops) and let it rest before you start drinking (give it a few minutes or figure out how long to get what you like from the hops)...

What hops do you grow??

Invent the 'Hop Widget' and bottle hop!

I can see use and novelty here. Maybe some kind of capsule--nylon 'Chinese finger sock' or stainless steel wire wrap around a whole cone.

Get some safety wire and wrap a cone, it will sink in the bottle.

Invent the 'Hop Widget' and bottle hop!

I can see use and novelty here. Maybe some kind of capsule--nylon 'Chinese finger sock' or stainless steel wire wrap around a whole cone.

Get some safety wire and wrap a cone, it will sink in the bottle.

I think what the OP wants is a fresher hop flavor in the brew... Putting it into the bottles means it will be in there at least 2-3 weeks (while carbonating/bottle conditioning) if not longer. For fresh hop flavors, tea-bagging the mug/glass/keg, would be a better idea (to get what I think he wants). Or dry hop the batch before bottling for a week, then rack off the hops to bottle.

I wish I had access to enough land to grow my own hops too... Alas, I'm still in an apartment, and doubt that I'll be able to take over enough ground to grow hops any time soon...

virginia8888

Hex, I like your idea When I wanted to put hops in the cup
I was thinking along your lines I like everyones responses
Thanks for all of them very fun
These are like 3rd year hops I think pics are old It's actually alot of work
to manage em and dry em and last year I got a bit of insects which I have a fix for for next season But They're quite lovely and really make nice tasting contributions into recipes Shout out to Freshops for the Rhizomes
Here in PA the cascades chinook and magnum seem to produce the best for me

virginiawolf, how tall is your hop support system?

I'm still going to try and convince my sister to let me grow them in her yard/garden, if I can find a spot that gets enough sun. My only real concern is that they won't be watered enough during the week. They're about an hour drive from where I live, so it really isn't viable for me to drive there every day.

Mines about eight feet up Then I have wire running between the posts
Then I use that to connect Hop twine or like similar rope in different directions
I bent nails at the edges of the raised boxes and loop the rope over the top of the wire
then run it horizontal between the posts
Wherever you do it I hope it would be a permanent spot cause It will be awesome
But after the first year the roots get real durable like 3rd year youll have huge roots you can cut peices off and then start new plants in other places I over watered or under watered a couple the first year but Had a real good success rate If you can baby em the first year keep em from drying up or something They'll be tough sh.. after that You'll have sprouts like crazy Thats part of the work Your supposed to eliminate all the little weak shoots and only leave like 4 main vines going up Mine now get like 100 where there was 2 in the beginning because the root is much larger now
Go for it In theory you could have a strand coming out of a large pot You have to cut it back at the end of the year anyway My small boxes are like 3x3 and 3 feet deep You could start it like that then take cuttings off it etc run ropes off the pots just drill 4holes in the lip of the pot and run 4 strings It will work lots of sun reasonable amount of water like you'd imagine

I think it's going to come down to where I start working next. If I'm going to stay living where I am now, then I'll talk with my LL about taking some of the yard, or a spot to grow hops. I'll also see if I can find a planter large enough to do hops up right. Although with how he is, I doubt I'd be able to get enough land to plant hops in a way that will let them do well.

I do see growing my own at some point. When comes down to where I move to next.

What kind of bugs munched on your hops?

Little spiders and little aphids and such there was like little world you couldn't notice without getting right up in through it The first couple years were fine
Last year I went away for a week came back and the leaves were munched
I did a little research cause I didnt want to spray anything on em and have it end up in the beer I lightly sprayed a vegetable safe soapscide stuff
Early In the next season I'm going to mix up some jalapenos and Ivory soap chips and spray it all over the leaves before they get close to producing hop cones apparently it will keep the bugs off and be totally safe Found it on you tube and confirmed with some other people Freshops where I got the hop rhizomes from is real helpful on questions I talked with Dave there and he was real helpful He knew right away I had bugs etc I know you have space limitation but I hope you grow some this coming summer. I wish you luck on the hops either way. If you had a big pot even a medium one It would work I hope you do it. I really didn't know much and I pulled it off.

:) Thanks Hex! I will. This is a great website. Very fun, Informative, Inspiring, etc.
It's the first I posted any pics of my garden on the internet. I finally know how to use photobucket.
I remember when I broke ground on the hop garden. I drew it up bought the stuff. Then it was like field of dreams or something. I was out there with a level and bags of concrete and a post hole digger and I got the last post in in moonlight. It was a mind over matter deal. :) It worked though. I remember I stood there with one eye closed making sure all the posts were lined up with eachother. They were all good except one that was real warped. Plus I remember trying to find the pincher tool for crimping the wire etc etc. I'm Glad its done. I dremeled the names of the varieties in the wood cause the sharpie kept fading off. My friend and his son helped me fill the beds with soil from a construction job. I have been bringing them liters of beer regularly. People often ask, " how are the hops?" :) Virginia Wolf

Back