Tempted to put hops right in my cup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had these hops on top of the kegerator I never shrink wrapped em or anything. I thought they were Hallertauer but I just realized they're Magnums. I just put some in a coffee filter like 5 cones and mashed em into like a hop pouch. When I put it in my mug it foamed up like you were saying. Not sure if it was the filter material or the hops doing that or both but anyway. It was too much. It was bitter and overwhelmed the beer. I put in some Brasal bock off tap. 8% I've since taken the pouch out and added more beer. I will have to try it with less hops and an aroma or flavor hop instead of a bittering hop. Which hops have you tried in your bottles so far?
magnumsinpitcher.jpg
[/IMG]

I haven't tried any in bottles, I just did a lot of forum, youtube and google searches for bottle hopping. Microscopic texture and carbonation equal gusher.

I read that many have dropped a cone on top of a glass of beer. Do you have any whole cones, or just petals? Some have even grounded hops to a fine powder and sprinkled a light dusting on top of a glassful.

I made a second hop drop that actually closes itself tight when the hops are used up, no micro texture, hopefully no gusher, but haven't finished the experiment (6 lbs whole hops on the way from Hops Direct).

Stay tooned!

If you only want to try it for one or two glasses, I would use a french press (normally for coffee) and steep the hops that way. No leaves.

tv187u Thanks for your insight Interesting stuff I looked at a french press on lnternet
I guess steep the hops in water to extract the essence than pour it in your cup? I've never used a french press but it looks familiar.

Hex, Yeah those are hop cones that were just kind of picked late and sat out for months and dried up like that if you look in previous pics in the cardboard box you can see a box of hop cones that I picked at more appropriate time. You don't use the leaves of hops plant they're like grape leaves. Sounds cool you researched the hops in cup so thoroughly. The sprinkle hop powder sounds neat. Hmnn Plenty of options.
You ordered 6 pounds of hops Wow thats alot What varieties did you order?

Latest posts

Back