• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

California BAY AREA - Free Hops to a Good Home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skram

Reaction score
I'm hanging up the hobby for the time being - not selling my brewing equipment just yet. But I have a surplus of HOPS!

Lots of Cascade - I primarily used to brew SNPA, Pliny clones, other IPAS, some Belgians, stouts, etc,

The Mason Jars are vacuum sealed, a lot of the ziplocks are never opened. Mostly pellet hops, some loose leaf.

These are all sitting on top of a 65 quart cooler. The large Mason Jars are 64oz jars. This is a sizable amount of hops - I would be welcome a small donation of something tasty.

Also - I have a small Yeast Bank with vials of US-05, and a Belgian strain I need to look up.

Everything has been properly stored in freezer.

I'm in Downtown Menlo Park.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hmmm, I am in South City and have been thinking of toying with the idea of banking some yeast. Also, I have used Cascade a lot and have really liked the results. I am wondering how long the hops will keep in a freezer, as I have just kegged a 5 gallon batch and am sitting on about a half a batch of bottles. I would be more than happy to provide you with a few bottles of my latest home brew. A buddy of mine just had a few and he said it was very good. PM me if you can, I might have to take a ride to Palo Alto to Morebeer to pick up some tubing for a blow off setup I need to make. Rock On!!!!!!!!

I thought I read that frozen they only last maybe 6 months to a year? If they last longer than that, I have to get some hops in the darn freezer stat. LOL.
I am still using T90 pellet hops from 2012, (11 years old) always kept frozen, with no apparent loss of flavor or bittering power. They're either factory vacuum packed or N2 flushed, or at home CO2 purged and/or vacuum packed after each usage.
No cheesiness either, and I know what Parmesan cheesy hops smell like. ;)

Now, most of my IPA hops are much fresher, although some leftovers are from 2019/2020 and I have not found any problems with them either. All T90 pellets, though.

So, if I am understanding you right, frozen or vacuum sealed, pellet hops can last for over a year? This is great news if that is the case, cause I got hop pellets coming out of my ears now. LOL. I am going to break out my wife's InkBird Vacuum sealer today and start sealing all the ones that are not in jars. At the very least, they will be the ones I start with as the jars he gave me are all vacuum sealed and I don't want to break that seal if I don't have to. LOL. So, am I right to assume based on the info that the pellets, when vacuume sealed will last more than a year?

So, if I am understanding you right, frozen or vacuum sealed, pellet hops can last for over a year?
Not "frozen or vacuum sealed." Vacuum sealed, then frozen!
Stored like that they can last for many years, well past 3 years and possibly as long as 10 years, still counting, from my experience.
Make sure to label them after vacuum sealing.

For larger bags of hops you won't use up in a single brew, you could leave a longer flap and seal the very top. After cutting a corner off to dispense, they can be re-vacuum sealed without rebagging.

the jars he gave me are all vacuum sealed and I don't want to break that seal if I don't have to.
Exactly!

Back