Temperature Controller upgrade and DIY question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsernst

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just got my Danby Kegerator and I have heard that they controller in them stinks. I wanted to get a controller with an LCD display that would be fairly easy to install and configure.

Anyone have any easy options that I could use to make this happen? I have seen the Love Controllers, but they do seem like they require a good bit of work.

Cheers,

Sean

STC-1000 from Ebay, just ensure you get one that's 110v and not 240v.

They come from China, they're $20 shipped (takes 3 weeks though) and work great for this! This is the 'ebay temp controller' or 'aquarium controller' that everyone talks about here. The rumors are true: it's great and cheap!

Seconded. It doesn't require "a good bit of work", just stripping and twisting a couple wires. It'll only take a few minutes and is a great DIY.

I just put one together last night . Took about an hour. I found mine on Amazon and had it in 4 days. $25 shipped. There's a youtube video with step by step instructions.

*Edit: This is the video I used...

Last edited by a moderator:
They do display Celsius only, that's the only downside. For a kegerator, where you won't be changing the temp much (or at all), it's no big deal. Mine keeps my keezer at 4.4 degrees C.

I also use the stc1000. Took about an hour to put it in a nice box with receptacles for heating and cooling. It works great in my ferm chamber no matter what the temps are around it.

The Celcius thing is an annoyance for sure, and this coming from a Canadian! But I'm so used to everything beer related being in Fahrenheit. I printed out a conversion chart and taped it beside my controller, it does the job :)

I also use the stc1000. Took about an hour to put it in a nice box with receptacles for heating and cooling. It works great in my ferm chamber no matter what the temps are around it.

So i guess I am a little confused about the multiple outlets for heating/cooling. Is it just that you wire it if you want to use the heating outlet?

The Celcius thing is an annoyance for sure, and this coming from a Canadian! But I'm so used to everything beer related being in Fahrenheit. I printed out a conversion chart and taped it beside my controller, it does the job :)

I am sure that I would get used to it. Have a Good/Bad/Ugly conversion chart :)

The STC-1000 is a dual stage controller, so it control both heating and cooling. This is awesome for a fermentation chamber, where depending on what you're fermenting and the ambient temperature you'll either need to heat or cool the fermenter to maintain your set point.

For a kegerator, you can probably just wire the cooling part. That's what I did for mine.

If you're ordering one on e-bay, you should probably just order two. Once you see how awesome it is you'll want to get a dedicated fermentation fridge.

:mug:

zachattack said:
The STC-1000 is a dual stage controller, so it control both heating and cooling. This is awesome for a fermentation chamber, where depending on what you're fermenting and the ambient temperature you'll either need to heat or cool the fermenter to maintain your set point.

For a kegerator, you can probably just wire the cooling part. That's what I did for mine.

If you're ordering one on e-bay, you should probably just order two. Once you see how awesome it is you'll want to get a dedicated fermentation fridge.

:mug:

Yeah, what he said. Works great for ferm chamber temp control.

Nice, I'll have to check these out too. I've been looking for a good temp controller but didn't feel like spending 100+ bucks on one. Can this be spliced into a short extension cord from the fridge to the wall? That way I wouldn't have to mess with the factory wire?

It absolutely can. Most people build it into a little project box and mount an outlet on the box, then you plug the fridge right in.

Check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

Or the master thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

I built mine inside a 2-gang box like the OP in that first thread, then mounted it through the collar of my keezer. Sealed everything up real well on the back with silicone caulk so I don't have to worry about condensation.

I just got mine in. I ordered the Fahrenheit version, but it's only single stage. Where I live winter is winter and summer is summer, so I'll just use either the heater or cooler.

I'll be mounting mine into the door of my upcoming fermentation chamber. If I decide I need to have heat and cold simultaneously I'll just order another to control the heat.

I just got mine in. I ordered the Fahrenheit version, but it's only single stage. Where I live winter is winter and summer is summer, so I'll just use either the heater or cooler.

I'll be mounting mine into the door of my upcoming fermentation chamber. If I decide I need to have heat and cold simultaneously I'll just order another to control the heat.

Fellow Californian...where did you get the Fahrenheit version of this?

itsernst said:
Fellow Californian...where did you get the Fahrenheit version of this?

From the Magical Land known as... Hong Kong. The seller is nonstopwin. I'd put up a link but I'm on my phone at the moment.

I just got my insulation so it'll be a week or so enforce I get the chamber built and wire it up. I'm electrically challenged so I'll probably burn my house down in the process.

Start-up load on a fridge or freezer may exceed 5 amps.

I've seen several links that say that the STC-1000 is rated at 15 amps, but
this Fahrenheit version may not be the same unit.

If you get a chance, will you look inside and let us know?

Here's what's in the STC-1000:
wp_0000101-55781.jpg

I thought mind was a 10amp at 120v or so, but I might be wrong. It definitely works, no heat issues, and when my compressor fires up I also fire up a fan and a dc converter which powers two other fans in the body of my fermentation chamber.

The compressor I'm using for cooling is older, like maybe 10+ years old now, so it's maybe no energy star or anything, probably uses 1.5-2amps to run but takes probably 7-8 to fire up.

Latest posts

Back