Temperature after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadnoob

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a batch of IPA and the temp was relatively stable throughout the fermentation process. I did the 2nd dry hop a few days ago and it's fermented out at my desired FG, but the temp outside spiked to well over 100 degrees yesterday. The carboy is in a dark closet but I have no AC and the inside temperature was probably almost 90 near windows, doors etc. So I have beer that's about ready to keg, and will have undergone higher temps after fermentation for roughly 2 days. Will this give me issues or since it's done fermenting, less of a problem? I'm waiting for my keg that fits in the fridge and it arrives on Monday. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
I’d bet a beer that you’re just fine, unless you had an infection in which case those bugs probably appreciated the warm temps.

Thanks (huge relief), and I'm sorry for not searching the archives thoroughly, I'm sure it's been asked before. 1st beer homebrew in years, with a new kettle and burner and I've been really worried with the heat. I'll post a report on this thread after kegging and CO2 and tasting.

White and Zainasheff's book Yeast has some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that temps above 95F will stop fermentation. You might have been hoping to drop a couple more gravity points, which now probably won't happen (probably not really an issue for you). The good news is that they recommend raising the temp after active fermentation is mostly over, although only 4 - 10 degrees F. (Since only 4 - 10 degrees is called for, this might also be bad news.)

Your beer will be fine. It takes a relatively long time for an ambient temperature to affect the temperature of a five gallon batch. Some say the temperature has to maintain for several days before your five gallons of beer starts to climb enough to matter.

Latest posts

Back