Temp problem with fermenting a basic extract Hefeweizaen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaRick

Reaction score
I have done some research and cannot figure this out. I am brewing my second batch of beer which is a much easier recipe than my first. I cooked everything right and when I cooled my wort I only got it down to like 87 degrees :( and then dropped the yeast in. I was planning to ferment it at 70 but the cabinet I put it in retained some heat so at about 18 hours into fermentation I put a fan on it and had it at about 70.

So here is my question. I just checked it after 8 days (Its a 10 day ferment process) and there is a lot of the sugar and carbonation still sitting on the 5 gallon batch. I tasted it and it tastes like a very light hef, but not bad at all. I want to know if due to the temp problems did the yeast not feed of enough of the malt and thus cause it to be light in body and flavor?

Thanks guys!!!!! :rockin:

Hi Rick. First, I always find it difficult to make judgments about the beer from tasting before it's finished.

Second, higher temps will encourage yeast activity, so from what you said, I wouldn't worry about the yeast being active and getting their work done.

Third, I would worry that the high temps would lead the yeast to throw off flavor compounds that are undesirable. For future batches, get your temps down to 65 ish before pitching and keep it there and you'll be pleased with the result.

Finally, ignore the instructions about a ten day fermentation. Especially with your high fermentation temps, I would leave it in your fermenter for a good three weeks to give the yeast sone time to clean up some of those compounds they threw off.

Generally, I usually bottle or keg anywhere between 10-30 days after brewing.

Hope this helps!

Are you saying you still see krausen on top? If so, that's not indicative of anything. Some strains are just lazy about collapsing the krausen back into the beer.

You don't mention what type of beer you brewed, yeast or gravity readings?

Based on your description and process I would suggest 3 weeks primary.

Some yeast are very slow to flocculate, drop out of suspension, and I'd so the additional time will prove very beneficial as well as the suggestion that this also gives the yeast time to help clean up any off flavors they may have produced during the higher temp fermentation.

Thanks Pappers! Apache: I didn't even know what Krausen was, but yes that is it. It is all just sitting on the top and not dropping.
Duboman: I used 6 pounds of WME, 1oz of Tettinger hops, and an American style Hef yeast. 60 min boil. I royally screwed the yeast addition temp, but has now been corrected.

So for my next question! Is it okay to keg it to a corny at 10 days and let it sit an additional 2 weeks before I indulge? I am going on leave and I want to cook another batch before I go! :mug:

Its probably ok to keg it at 10 days. You can keg and/or bottle after the fermentation is complete - the yeast are done eating up any of the available sugars. For many beers, 10 days will be enough, but for others, it won't be. You can use your hydrometer to check the gravity - when it stops going down from day-to-day, the beer is done.

Pappers_ said:
Its probably ok to keg it at 10 days. You can keg and/or bottle after the fermentation is complete - the yeast are done eating up any of the available sugars. For many beers, 10 days will be enough, but for others, it won't be. You can use your hydrometer to check the gravity - when it stops going down from day-to-day, the beer is done.

+1 on checking the gravity, you need to be sure it is done fermenting before you move it to the keg

Coming back to this many years later, and about 40-45 different recipes later, thanks for all the help back then. I was overseas and had to stop for a while, but over the last year I have been doing some good brews.

Brew session for the weekend

Friday
-Jalapeño blonde
-Mosaic Amarillo IPA

Yesterday
-Ekuanot Amarillo, touch of mosaic, mango, roasted sarano pepper IPA
-chocolate coffee strong stout

Nice. Tonight, my brew partner and I are doing a bigger Saison for a barrel project and an IPA for a cask for a festival. We'll throw some hops in the cask for extra freshness.

Back