Temp probe types explained?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
It sounds like the Ssbrewtech eKettle / controller use a RTD type sensor. The brew boss kettle / controller uses a ds18b20. I'm guessing those two are incompatible. Can I make them compatible? Obviously my question should go to show the level of experience that I have in understanding controllers. Meaning, I'm not willing to do brain surgery in it, but will buy a new adapter if that's all I need.

Seeing as how the Ssbrewtech probe is integrated into the heating element, can anybody think of any way to use this kettle on a brew boss controller, without drilling a hole in the side and using brew bosses weldless temp probe.

An RTD is a resistor that changes resistivity with temperature, it takes a given voltage and runs it through the resistor and the output voltage (analog) is proportional to the temperature. The ds18b20 looks like a digital output in which a microcontroller reads and converts the 0's and 1's to a temperature. While it is possible to make the conversion it would involve a digital to analog chip or microprocessor to do so. The cost and effort would be more than its worth in most cases.

Personally, I'd go with the weldless temp probe.

Back