Temp of the fermentation space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I have read that the heat caused by fermentation raises the wort/beer fermentation to about 5F higher than the space that the fermenter is in. Is this true?

And in that case, if I have a beer I want to ferment at 65F, should I put the carboy in a space that is 60F, assuming that it will be 65 inside the carboy?

Yup, those wee yeastie beasties do make quite a bit of heat.

I don't have a fermentation chamber, just a cool basement and swamp cooler. I definitely see the temps rise a few degrees once fermentation kicks off.

I have read that the heat caused by fermentation raises the wort/beer fermentation to about 5F higher than the space that the fermenter is in. Is this true?

And in that case, if I have a beer I want to ferment at 65F, should I put the carboy in a space that is 60F, assuming that it will be 65 inside the carboy?
The number of degrees the temperature will rise also depends upon the vigor of yeast, how much yeast is pitched, and the OG of the wort. A very vigorous yeast pitched into a high gravity wort will have a lot of sugars to eat and will produce higher temperatures.

What everyone has said here is very true... The volume will also have a play in the game as well... A 6 gallon ferment will have higher temps than say a 2 gallon ferment..

Cheers
Jay

All true. I currently have an amber ale fermenting. The fermonator strip says 58, the thermometer for ambient air says 60 and my temp control unit with the probe taped to side of Carboy says 64.
So I guess the yeasties are making heat !
Slainte

lower temps (mid 40sF) with a lager yeast may only have a 2 or 3 degree difference but the vigorous ale yeasts can ramp up the temp 5 or 6 degrees at peak temperature.

I feel for ya dude! I have the same question and noted yours put in a "yes or no" format and yet...

I'll keep search'n as well. :)

It is a bit misleading when you read "ferment at 65 degrees." That really means ferment at 60 degrees and let the yeast bring it up to 65. I think this fact should be better advertised because people will be getting far more estery beer than they bargained for otherwise.

I recently fermented a hefe with WB-06 at 58F ambient down to 1.020 then raised it to 70F and finished at 1.012. Turned out a nice German Hefe.

Back