Temp control - Fermonster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintabone

Reaction score
First time fermenting in a mini-fridge I converted. I have a strip thermometer on the front of a Fermonster as well as an Inkbird temp probe taped to the side. I have a small watt space heater to heat the chamber as needed and the minifridge will cycle on to cool.

The issue I have is when I took a gravity reading yesterday, pouring out of the spigot attached to the Fermonster, the temperature of my digital thermometer read 76 degrees. The temperature strip read 66 and the inkbird controller also read 66. This is a week after pitching the yeast and the gravity reading over a 3 day span is 1.014.

Any idea what's going on here? Is it possible that a week later that the beer could actually be 10 degrees warmer than what the temperature strip and probe both read? I understand they're both outside of the vessel and not measuring the actual temp of the beer but active fermentation has ended a few days ago at least. Or I suppose my new digital thermometer could be off...

Strange, I also ferment in a fermonster in a mini fridge with nearly the same setup. I've never taken a reading internally to compare what my inkbird is showing on the outside... Kind of concerning! You wouldn't think the temperature difference between the two would be that dramatic. Logic would tell me that if you have two sources reading the same and a third source that is off it may be in error? I've got a cream ale at about the same place you're at and will grab a temp reading tonight with my ChefAlarm from Thermoworks, I know that is spot on.

Strange, I also ferment in a fermonster in a mini fridge with nearly the same setup. I've never taken a reading internally to compare what my inkbird is showing on the outside... Kind of concerning! You wouldn't think the temperature difference between the two would be that dramatic. Logic would tell me that if you have two sources reading the same and a third source that is off it may be in error? I've got a cream ale at about the same place you're at and will grab a temp reading tonight with my ChefAlarm from Thermoworks, I know that is spot on.

Let me know what you find. I'm hoping it hasn't been hanging around at 76 degrees for the last week but when tasting the sample I pulled I didn't notice any harsh flavors. Planning on dry hopping tonight and kegging Sunday so we'll see soon enough how it tastes.

What mini fridge will fit the Fermonster (7 gallon) with minimal modification to the fridge? Thanks!

Your thermometer is off, way off. After that amount of time, fermentation finished, the beer, fermenter, and fridge are all going to the the same temp.

Back