WLP940 temperature mistake (dammit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain

Reaction score
I started an International Amber Lager yesterday using the slurry of WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast from a previous batch.

I was planning on fermenting at 66 degrees for a warm fermented lager attempt. Not my best idea.

I woke up this morning, and the wort was bubbling and churning like you'd hope, then I looked at the temp control and realized I hadn't set the temperature correctly. Bottom line is, my wort was at an alarming 76 degrees. I dropped the temp back down to 66 degrees, but that's after 15 hours of presumably being at 76 degrees.

I'm going to ride this out and hope the yeast can handle that temperature extreme, but was hoping to hear some opinions on whether this is going to be okay, or a monumental failure. Any thoughts from those with warm fermentation experience? ?

RDWHAHB . I was going to post a link to a Brulosphy xbeeriment that fermented this yeast warm (66 degrees) yours was quite a bit warmer than his ... sooo... you're just going to have to wait and see . But don't worry ,that will for sure screw up the beer .
It may surprise you and be a happy accident , good luck.

I started an International Amber Lager yesterday using the slurry of WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast from a previous batch.

I was planning on fermenting at 66 degrees for a warm fermented lager attempt. Not my best idea.

I woke up this morning, and the wort was bubbling and churning like you'd hope, then I looked at the temp control and realized I hadn't set the temperature correctly. Bottom line is, my wort was at an alarming 76 degrees. I dropped the temp back down to 66 degrees, but that's after 15 hours of presumably being at 76 degrees.

I'm going to ride this out and hope the yeast can handle that temperature extreme, but was hoping to hear some opinions on whether this is going to be okay, or a monumental failure. Any thoughts from those with warm fermentation experience? ?
Your beer is ruined. Package and send to me for proper disposal :D That's what people used to say back in the day.

Start dropping the temp a few degrees every few hours if you can until you get to the mid 60s. It might not be the greatest beer you ever brewed...

Back