Tell me a Cherry Bock isn't a bad idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryakirk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my first beer kit, I want to make a German Bock partial grain extract kit and flavor it with fresh cherries or tart cherry juice. I think I'll use wyeast bohemian 2124

I don't have a big glass carboy and will make it in plastic buckets and can lager it in a chest freezer in my garage.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/rich-german-bock-kit.html

Sam adams had a cherry chocolate bock a few years ago, so I guess the flavor combination works. I'd go with the juice for flavor, you can use the whole cherries, but you'll have to let the beer and cherries sit together for a while and keep taking taste samples to see what flavor you've got.

If this is your first beer kit, I would strongly, strongly recommend getting a dry ale yeast like US-05 or Nottingham. Lager yeasts require a huge volume of yeast (way more than there is in one package) and more TLC than ale yeasts.

I brewed a chocolate cherry Bock a year ago, and the flavor definitely works well! I used 4oz of cherry extract and I beleive 4oz chocolate nibs.

Back