TastyBrew.com Bottle Priming Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadingzero

Reaction score
Hi,

I've searched around and people have discussed the strange calculations the priming calculator spits out on TastyBrew.com. Most of the concerns I've read discussed the under priming.

My question is in regards to the high amount of priming sugar that the calculator suggests. For example, I'm bottling a Hefe this weekend and the calculator recommends that I use 8.6 oz of dextrose. That seems really high and my brewery is in my closet and the closet is right next to my fiance's side of the bed and don't want shards of glass flying at her head.

Does that amount of dextrose sound correct? Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

-leadingzero

What Vol of Co2 are you going for? 4.0?

That is a lot, but I think the calculations are correct. I've never done more than about 3.2 (5 oz corn sugar into 4 gallons).

My question is, can a bottle hold 4.0 Vol CO2. That, I don't know.

I usually carb in a big rubbermaid tub with lots of "beer towels" over and around the bottles (that are in beer case boxes). I've never had a bomb, but if I did, I think all the towles and rubbermaid bins would stop the shards...I hope....

What Vol of Co2 are you going for? 4.0?

That is a lot, but I think the calculations are correct. I've never done more than about 3.2 (5 oz corn sugar into 4 gallons).

My question is, can a bottle hold 4.0 Vol CO2. That, I don't know.

I usually carb in a big rubbermaid tub with lots of "beer towels" over and around the bottles (that are in beer case boxes). I've never had a bomb, but if I did, I think all the towles and rubbermaid bins would stop the shards...I hope....

I was just going with the default 4.04. Good question about the amount of CO2 a beer bottle can hold. I'll have to see if I can find any information. I recently bottled a koelsch and used the calculator but dialed the numbers back because they seemed high. Have a couple of boxes of bottles that are conditioning surround the koelsch boxes with some blankets over it. No bombs yet. I like the rubbermaid idea. Thanks!

The calculator is correct for 12 oz bottles with about an inch of head space. More head space will give you lower volumes of CO2. Bigger bottles will have less head space so slightly higher volumes. A keg would need much less because it has very little head space compared to 54 bottles.

I have used 8 oz cane sugar for a Hefeweizen before in regular bottles. It worked fine. DME might be a better option because that much sugar starts to have a noticeable effect on body (and even ABV.)

The calculator is correct for 12 oz bottles with about an inch of head space. More head space will give you lower volumes of CO2. Bigger bottles will have less head space so slightly higher volumes. A keg would need much less because it has very little head space compared to 54 bottles.

I have used 8 oz cane sugar for a Hefeweizen before in regular bottles. It worked fine. DME might be a better option because that much sugar starts to have a noticeable effect on body (and even ABV.)

Wheat DME? Correct? What would be a good middle ground for amount of dextrose? How does it effect ABV? Does it increase? I'm going to bottle in 22oz bottles. Thanks!

To update the thread to anyone that views it. I found that the amounts the priming calculator suggested to be a bit high. I usually use the calculator and then take away about .5 oz and in some cases 1 oz from the recommended amount.

Back