Taste question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I have the day off today so I decided to bottle a brown ale that has been in primary for 3-1/2 weeks. It was an OG of 1.052 and FG of 1.010. I tasted sone of it while bottling and it has a harsh alcohol taste. It almost covers up the taste of the beer. I am sure this has happened before, but my question is will it mellow out with bottle time? Or is this brew just gonna be rough to drink? Oh and fermentation temps were right around 70.

Which yeast did you use? Were fermentation temps around 70 or ambient temps?

I had fusels in my first beer from high temps and they never went away, even after 5-6 months. YMMV

Harsh alcohol taste, as long as that's what it really is, pretty much always goes away. The first time I made a beer with a OG of 1.070 I thought it went "bad" when I tasted it after a couple weeks in the fermenter, what I was really tasting was fusel alcohols. It aged for another 3 weeks in the bottle, and it ended up being a great beer. Don't sweat it.

That's only a 5.6% alcohol. In order for there to be a strong alcohol burn at 5.6%, you'd have to have a pretty light body, which would most likely happen if you missed your mash (AG/PM) or steeping (Extract) temps on the low side. Do you remember your mash/steeping temp? For a brown, it probably should have been around 153-158, and you really wouldn't have had too light of a body to cover a 5.6% ABV unless you mashed/steeped at like 140ish.

Anyway, if that was not the case, then you probably have an off flavor that resembles an alcohol taste, but isn't really the alcohol, like maybe an ester or fusel alcohol or something like that, which will mellow out given sufficient conditioning time (like 4-6 weeks conditioning at 70F).

I pitched a pack of notty. And I was guessing when I said 70 because my tape on my bucket was at like 63-65.

I was spot on with my steeping temp held at 155 and steeped for aprox. 25 min.

I am guessing it must be some fusal or ester. Hope with sone bottle time it will mellow out.

I got that on my 1st brew,& gave it another week to clean up. It cleaned up most of it,so I bottled it. 3 weeks later,it was gone.

Back