Tart Of Darkness by The Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
How many of you have had this beer? It was my first sour beer, and I'm not impressed. @ $20 for one bottle I was a little upset.

The first taste was like wow this is sour. A new beer, let it mellow a little and give your tastebuds a chance. So the first glass is done, second glass its not getting better. With an aftertaste of wet mildewed hay. I really cannot see what the big deal is with sour beers. I will try another just to make sure I really don't like sour beers but I am stumped as to why anyone would want to make 5 or 10 gallons of this beer.

Same reason people prefer bmc over craft. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was bad. I liked it. It was overpriced and I wouldnt buy It again for that reason but its an excellent sour.

I suppose it's an acquired taste, but Tart of Darkness is a great beer. You might need to train your palette for sours. Maybe start with a fruit lambic, which balances the sour with the sweet.

I had it on tap at my local brewery. It was a very good sour, but I wouldn't pay $20 for a bottle. Sours are very much an acquired taste and a lot of people never acquire the taste for them. If that's the case, count yourself lucky because they tend to be pretty damn expensive.

IMO their Sour in the Rye would be a tad more inviting to a new sour drinker than Tart of Darkness. Both are excellent beers and both are $19.99, but I give Sour in the Rye the nod. Also, if you are going to get into sours be prepared to spend a lot of money. They are almost always on the expensive side. I just bought two 375ml bottles of Russian River Consecration for $26.00 before tax and CRV. That is the same volume of beer that you get with Tart of Darkness but for more more $. I should say that it's totally worth it for this beer though. On the other hand, The Bruery's Hottenroth is about $7.99 IIRC and is a decent Berliner Wiess. It's like 3% ABV though so the $ to ABV ratio is still steep.

You could also try a Flanders Red or an Oud Bruin. They should be in the imported beer section at the beer stores. Both are excellent sours for newcomers to the style and they are on the cheaper side.

Sours are an aquired taste but at the same time, some people never like that flavor profile. I love them, Allagash FV 13 is so lights out its not even funny

Tart of Darkness is tastey, so is Sour on the Rye. Keep searching man. you will find one that changes your mind, then you'll be hooked. I recommend Cuvee De Jacobins Rouge (a flanders)....its like drinking a fist to the face. haha

Back