Tapping out a kettle - what parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me start off the post by telling you that I am the least handy person in the world. Fortunately I have very tool-capable people that work for me. As a double bonus, my company sells valves for industrial/commercial systems so I'm sure I have all the parts available in my warehouse. I just don't know what I'd need.

I wanted to put a ball valve port onto the pot for easy draining, and a strainer/filter on it as well. How would I put the ball valve in place without soldering? There seem to be a lot of options as far as what is inside the kettle with siphon tubes and strainers. Is there a recommended way to do it?

I have the bimetal thermometers so I can tap out a port that as well. Is there a best position for the thermometer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3 common options for mounting in SS pots are weldless fittings, having fittings welded on or silver soldering fittings on. You usually attach a 1/2" fitting to the kettle, then the options such as valves or sight glasses or thermometers thread into these fittings.

I will probably skip on the sight glass. Looking down into the pot will be good enough and then I won't have to worry about breaking the sight glass. I'm not handy, and I am clumsy.

What are the options inside the kettle? Should I put a siphon toward the side? Bazooka screen? I haven't gotten the pot I'm going to use yet, so I don't know the diameter to try and get a false bottom.

Back