Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im just about ready for this grain shipment. Keezer will be assembled tomorrow, now I just have to get some more corny's

I hear ya. I smell a triple brew day for my co brewer and I. Need some roggen, maybe a hefe and a witbier!

Looks like the entire order went through guys. It should be arriving Wednesday. I will be double checking my numbers, but here is where we are at as far as I can tell:

So columns are Name/Actual/Paid

CidahMastah $450.17 474.84
JeffB418 $380.82 401
Racin_NY $173.75 189
Westo2 $312.01 317
Copyright1997 $643.14 688
Bellinmi88 $322.69 339
mparsons327 $191.34 195
t-booneyay $173.03 185
Strecker25 $184.11 197
Smashing $94.63 95
CBK $194.65 235 (owes me $20 and I owe electronics)
Cgondoli1 $189.69 204
erikrocks $235.06 247
Dbush20 $332.34 347
gcdowd $170.31 135
dannschuler $270.06 325
wheadman66 $162.65 175
bryanj $259.59 277
jdowling $342.31 365
twogunz $50.30 40
bierhaus15 $467.95 495
rustbucket $93.23 92
drmark50 $444.96 456
brian4508 $169.22 176

Please PM me and let me know how you want to handle credits.

1. if you want your back via paypal provide your email address
2. If you want to donate to the coordinators for organization and split grunt work please indicate.
3. I will not hold money in my account until the next buy.

Just like payment, I need to hear from you all on how you want to handle it, no matter how big or how small.

Enjoy your weekend!! :D

Thanks a lot all - I will split up between the coordinators, pennies or dollars :D

This article doesn't really say much. Does anyone actually have some of the details? I was able to find this:
http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-craft-beer-tax-break-falls-flat-1.3713627 which implies that it is actually a tax break that is ending, that the (ending) tax break was not having to pay the state 14 cents/gallon beer tax on the first 200,000 gallons produced in NYS.

I don't know the real details, but it is (or should be) a violation of the interstate commerce clause (part of the constitution) to only provide a tax break on NYS produced beer. Of course, they could solve the issue by eliminating that tax on all producers first 200,000 gallons of production, but that would mean more revenue loss for NYS (and of course they can't have that).

Oh, the 14 cents per gallon = .0011 per ounce, or 1.75 cents per pint. Hard to see how that should result in what the YNN article claims: "could increase the cost of a pint or a six pack by one dollar".

So, I'm a pretty anti-tax kinda guy, but somebody's facts someplace are wrong. What's the real truth here?

I've also heard there is a Fee now that's $200 a year for each type of beer sold. So if your a small brewery and sell lets say 8 different types over a years period. You owe the state $1600 annually. What sucks is that if a small nano brewery wants to sell one batch of something special. They still have to pay the $200 reg fee for the beer. Out of state beers already pay this. It's a label registration fee from what I've heard. My buddy works at six point down in NYC and says its gonna hit hard down there.

I've also heard there is a Fee now that's $200 a year for each type of beer sold. So if your a small brewery and sell lets say 8 different types over a years period. You owe the state $1600 annually. What sucks is that if a small nano brewery wants to sell one batch of something special. They still have to pay the $200 reg fee for the beer. Out of state beers already pay this. It's a label registration fee from what I've heard. My buddy works at six point down in NYC and says its gonna hit hard down there.

NYS at its finest. I think I found the NYS bulletin on it: http://www.sla.ny.gov/system/files/2012-2-blr-adv.pdf

The issue isn't that the BMC's of the world would fight the exemption. Why not, and it is a pretty clear violation of the constitution.

The issue really is the silly $200 fee for each type of beer sold. But that would require NYS to eliminate the registration fee for all, not just NYS craft brewers. (For instance, why should PA Craft brewers pay the fee if NYS craft brewers aren't.) Having a overall beer tax (the 14 cents per gallon or whatever) that applies to all would likely be OK as all the producers would be treated equally (those in state and out of state) yet would not cause an onerous fee when someone produces one (or a few) barrels in a specialty run. It just shows how "the state" doesn't get business. (Or the fact that the beer tax in itself is ludicrous.)

Alternatively, I wonder what would happen if I as a craft brewery just produced "A good beer" (2012 Spring vintage). And then produced "A good beer" (same name, but 2012 Summer Vintage, and so on). (I guess I would have to research the actual registration form to see how far one could push this.)

I think I found the actual form that one has to fill out when registering (and you get the honor of enclosing the $150 fee):
http://www.sla.ny.gov/system/files/LiquorBeerStandard-040612.pdf

Happy Memorial Day fellas! I just kicked the flames out on an Amarillo/Glacier Blonde Ale (love that combo) and Extra Special Stout. I'm laying low this holiday and figured I'd get some brews in when I had the chance.

Cidah and Copy, I just cracked a bottle from on of you... I think it was Cidah's SN Celebration clone but I'm not positive. Since I keg everything I always forget to check my fridge and I still have some homebrews I was gifted in there. Well whatever beer this is, it tastes fantastic right now. I know it's probably past prime, but I love when a fairly hoppy beer starts to age the bitterness out. Mmmm mmmm good. Thanks!

TwoGunz said:
Happy Memorial Day fellas! I just kicked the flames out on an Amarillo/Glacier Blonde Ale (love that combo) and Extra Special Stout. I'm laying low this holiday and figured I'd get some brews in when I had the chance.

Cidah and Copy, I just cracked a bottle from on of you... I think it was Cidah's SN Celebration clone but I'm not positive. Since I keg everything I always forget to check my fridge and I still have some homebrews I was gifted in there. Well whatever beer this is, it tastes fantastic right now. I know it's probably past prime, but I love when a fairly hoppy beer starts to age the bitterness out. Mmmm mmmm good. Thanks!

If it tastes fantastic I will take credit! :)

Funny you say that about the celebration. I gave my dad a growler of the stuff some time ago and he never opened it, but left it in the fridge. Had it this weekend and it was tasty! (that is IF that was my brew haha)

So columns are Name/Actual/Paid/[OWED AMOUNT]

*I have heard (or lost track of) how you wanted your refund handled if your name appears on the list above the red bold type. Please clarify how you would like your refund handled. The rest of you should be all set.

Cgondoli1 $189.69 204
jdowling $342.31 365

*if you are red then you owe so please gift me the cost via paypal before pick up.

Red bold owes

rustbucket $93.23 92 [$1.23]

Also - very deepest thanks to those of you who donated so generously. I know I speak for the rest of the coordinators when I say it is greatly appreciated, and you help keep our brewing habit going strong! :D Happy tuesday
Thanks!

Ok gcdowd just helped me to find out I misallocated a bag of BD-MOPA. As a result his value was high and Dannschuler's value was low (he was missing a charge for a BD mopa bag). All bags are accounted for on the order (none are missing).

Short version is please see post # 984, it has been updated with the actual cost owed and credits that have yet to be spoken for.

gcdowd's total is $128.74 and not 170.31
dannschuler's total is $311.63 and not $270.06. Dan you know owe $13.37 for grain cost.

Ok gcdowd just helped me to find out I misallocated a bag of BD-MOPA. As a result his value was high and Dannschuler's value was low (he was missing a charge for a BD mopa bag). All bags are accounted for on the order (none are missing).

Short version is please see post # 984, it has been updated with the actual cost owed and credits that have yet to be spoken for.

gcdowd's total is $128.74 and not 170.31
dannschuler's total is $311.63 and not $270.06. Dan you know owe $13.37 for grain cost.

This is an outrage!

But so is most everything that happens to me so I guess it was to be expected.

I sent over a payment along with a little sumptin' sumptin' for the coordinators.

Thanks again for all the work you guys put in on this.

This is an outrage!

But so is most everything that happens to me so I guess it was to be expected.

I sent over a payment along with a little sumptin' sumptin' for the coordinators.

Thanks again for all the work you guys put in on this.

Well it finally happened... I never thought it would, but man it sure feels weird... I made a mistake :D hahah Don't worry it will happen again. Thanks for understanding Dan.

updated the payment status in the aforementioned post

aye karaumba. I checked that sheet like a thousand times too....

Yes, thanks to all the coordinators. Making a small error like that with all you've had to deal with is pretty darn impressive. Thanks again!

Well I decided to finally do little bottling experiment. I brewed a Belgian Dubbel and Golden a few weeks ago and decided to keg half and bottle the other half in champagne bottles.... What a PITA that was last night haha. Unfortunately I was running short on champagne bottles and only bottled the dubbel. But twisting all those wire baskets got old. Purpose of the experiment is to see if I prefer belgian bottle carbed vs. force carbed. will let you know in 6+ mos haha.

Looks like i need to search out another few cases of champagne bottles!

CidahMastah said:
Well I decided to finally do little bottling experiment. I brewed a Belgian Dubbel and Golden a few weeks ago and decided to keg half and bottle the other half in champagne bottles.... What a PITA that was last night haha. Unfortunately I was running short on champagne bottles and only bottled the dubbel. But twisting all those wire baskets got old. Purpose of the experiment is to see if I prefer belgian bottle carbed vs. force carbed. will let you know in 6+ mos haha.

Looks like i need to search out another few cases of champagne bottles!

I did a Belgian Dark Strong (brewed 2/15, bottled 5/1). It may be ready for Xmas (at least one bottle). I bought the plastic corks (and drank A LOT) of Belgians) for the bottles. So far the corks are working with the wire ties. Thought it would be a nice experiment as it was faster and easier

Now I'm in the middle of my 1st decoction for an Oktoberfest!! Mmmm

I did a Belgian Dark Strong (brewed 2/15, bottled 5/1). It may be ready for Xmas (at least one bottle). I bought the plastic corks (and drank A LOT) of Belgians) for the bottles. So far the corks are working with the wire ties. Thought it would be a nice experiment as it was faster and easier

Now I'm in the middle of my 1st decoction for an Oktoberfest!! Mmmm

Nice! I may jump on another lager this weekend as well. I think this will be a triple brew day if my buddy shows (Roggenbier, Witbier and a lager). Gotta convert some grain to make room for the new order!!

yeah my thumb and index finger were showing signs of wear from all those wire baskets!

I am trying to decide if I should hit up waterloo container, or just buy from sunset.

CidahMastah said:
Nice! I may jump on another lager this weekend as well.

yeah my thumb and index finger were showing signs of wear from all those wire baskets!

I am trying to decide if I should hit up waterloo container, or just buy from sunset.

Waterloo is a lot cheaper

Also, I use a small screwdriver to twist the ties. Works wonders!

Picture of finished product...

image-2789670413.jpg

Keg conditioning is always an option, If you're not force carbonating then it should be roughly equivalent to bottle conditioning.

Yeah but then I still have to counter pressure bottle if I keg condition (I don't want dubbel on tap or I would be loaded every night and it would last a week haha). I already have to counter pressure fill a ton of 22's I got from waterloo containerwith my belgian specialty ale once it finishes dry hopping... wahoo!

Good idea with the screw driver - I might go back and tighten them a bit more with one.

Waterloo container is super cheap, just not sure if I want to make the drive for 1-3 cases of bottles tops. Anybody from the buy live near there? Perhaps interested in swinging by and picking some bottles up for me if I prepay or pay you via paypal?

Looks like a nice bottling job :D

ah the heck with it. Just sent a request out for pricing on the champagne bottles and other stuff. Since I like belgians, it is worth the few extra bucks to class them up a bit. I still plan a rebrew of a belgian quad and plan to let many of these age 6 months. Maybe the extra work will make me think twice before I prematurely open and drink them! haha

All my champagne bottles I had before (about 100) I bought from waterloo a few years ago. I used about 15 to bottle a raspberry melomel, now I am about 13 shy of what I need! Doh! I bought some of the 7 volume ones for an apple champagne I like to make with cider and the 5 volume bottles are perfect for belgians.

Well that is 13 shy of what i need for bottling the golden. Then I will need another 25 or so for the quad

Brian - how was the pliny? I was planning a clone brew of that for when my brother rolls into town from Seattle this fall. Is it as good as I have heard?

The Pliney was very good. Earthy pine nose and taste, but not overwhelming. My BIL brought me a few bottles and they are gone...

Pliny is good but a bit over rated IMO. Every couple months a friend who lives out that way sends me beer mail. Next time I will have him send me a couple extra Pliny for you to try cidah. I do love Russian rivers funky and sour beers though.

Latest posts

Back