Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup sometimes the best call is just to roll with it! :D!

I was nervous with my roggenbier thinking that with all that rye it would be a super spicy mess. I was amazed at the body addition of the rye (well suited for a PA, IPA or HEFE). Was even more surprised at how much rye I used and the spicy note was still a nuance, and didn't overtake the beer at all. I think the rye for that recipe was in the neighborhood of 45-50%?

I have a feeling that you will start buying bags of rye once you start tasting some of the rye beers you can make. I mean seriously, the roggenbier blew the socks off of any hefe I have had to date. I did serve it lower carbed on nitro, so maybe that did something to it, but still... I almost grabbed two bags of rye this past grain buy, but wanted to let other people get the good deals since I have quite a lot of stock!

I know i have said this 1 thousand times but... have you brewed denny's rye IPA? If not, do it. I bet you will like it more than ruthless. I liked ruthless, but it doesn't stand up to Denny's Wry Smile IMO.

Have fun man!

I did a little playing and think I'm going to go with this....

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.1 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 17.0 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.4 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 22.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -

If it doesn't come out - I blame you! LOL! :D

BTW: Please post that Jamil recipe - I don't have his book.

yes pilsen = 90 mins

uh oh the pressure is on smashing haha!

I willpost the recipe this weekend - gotta run

Regarding 90 min boil and pilsner, from my research it's not 100% necessary but is recommended to drive of DMS and DMS precursors. Other things that impact DMS are how vigorous the boil is and how fast you cool the wort as there is temperature range that let's DMS form. So if you want to shorten the boil, make sure it's rolling and that you cool fast. Likewise, DMS is one of the main reasons youre not supposed to cover your pot as the DMS will collect on the lid and drip back in.

With all of that said, the first time I used pilsner I did a 60 min boil and the beer came out fine for my palette

I pm'd cidah the other day asking what to do so i can pick up grain for others. I haven't heard back from him so ill just ask anyone. What do i do?

Does anyone know if any lhbs in syracuse sells any cherry puree or any suggestions on where to find it? I completely forgot to order some when i just made an order from northern brewer.

Does anyone know if any lhbs in syracuse sells any cherry puree or any suggestions on where to find it? I completely forgot to order some when i just made an order from northern brewer.

Not sure about what they have in stock but I have seen puree's at Sunset Hydroponic on Erie Blvd in Syracuse

I pm'd cidah the other day asking what to do so i can pick up grain for others. I haven't heard back from him so ill just ask anyone. What do i do?

Sorry I missed you this weekend, was busy for most of it!

Check with people via PMs and on the thread to arrange pick ups.

Based on what you pmed me I updated the group sheet.

Check out your pick up designation and make sure that it is correct and that it has been communicated to all the folks involved.

CLICK HERE

Well hope all your brew sessions went well. I had to side step my brew plans due to lack of space and fall back on another IPA. But I am happy with that just the same. I plan on doing a witbier and hefe or roggenbier next brew session so I can take over my fermentation chamber with two low fermenting brews. Also gotta get a lager going!

They have it in stock, as I was just looking at it the other day. $11 something a can I think.

Thanks, does anyone have experience using the cherry puree? I'm not sure how much to use to get a good cherry flavor for a american wheat beer, I've read anywhere from 2 to 8 pounds of puree.

Thanks, does anyone have experience using the cherry puree? I'm not sure how much to use to get a good cherry flavor for a american wheat beer, I've read anywhere from 2 to 8 pounds of puree.

is that for 5 gallons?

I would think for 5 gallons you would want to keep it under 2 lbs just because it is fructose. So the aging time would be very long to get rid of the flavors you get from massive sucrose additions. I don't have personal experience with this However with cider, the more sugar you add the more wild the flavor and aging IS required before you can enjoy it. With a wheat I would assume that you are looking for a quick turn.

I've used a whole can of the cherry puree from sunset in a Nightfrost Porter recipe. A single can was enough to give it a hint of cherry behind the chocolate and vanilla beans. The head brewer from Rohrbach actually gave me the recipe.

I made up this simple Vienna Cherry Wheat recipe:
5# Vienna Malt
4# Wheat Malt (White)
1# Flaked Wheat
1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 PKG S-33 (Yeast)
3# Cherry Puree (Secondary)

Mashed at 151. After primary fermentation is complete, rack to secondary and add Cherry Puree. Let it sit another week as Cherry Puree will cause a bit of additional fermentation.

I had this as one of the beers for a party on Saturday....non-craft beer drinkers really liked it and the Vienna gives it a better (imho) flavor profile.

One of the 3# cans was enough for a decent but not overpowering cherry flavor and some color.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ:

Just a friendly note to you all. It looks like we are on schedule so far for the pickup as we laid out on June 2, 2012. A couple notes.

1. We will be submitting the order request on 5/23 or 5/24.
2. NCM can take several days to get back to us with out of stock or in stock items, and to collect payment.
3. Once I pay them the order ships.

Highlights:
a. in the past we have had out of stock items. This can occur with hops and/or grain.
b. in the event of of a shortage I will try to juggle the products for you with close substitution, or I will come back and ask you directly what you want to do.

PLEASE MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO CHECK HBT AND YOUR EMAIL DAILY IN ANTICIPATION OF SUBSTITUTION FEEDBACK YOU MAY NEED TO PROVIDE TO ME

Thanks all, stand poised, I hope to hear back about our order from NCM this week with any luck.

and the order is straightened out I will let everone know the order is in and substitutes it will be delivered mid week.

If there is a substitution, would that substituted item not be available for pick up on June 2nd?

How will the hops come packaged? Do we need to bring bags?

If there is a substitution, would that substituted item not be available for pick up on June 2nd?

How will the hops come packaged? Do we need to bring bags?

Substitutions only happen if they don't have something in stock. We will replace it with a similar type or a different bag of grain. If you want out of that bag of grain, someone has to take up your bag from you, or you are still on the hook for a bag (sure the former wouldn't be an issue if needed).

Any substitutions will come with the order, available for pickup June 2. In fact if we don't hear back about a substitute from the participants, it holds up the order. It will not ship. That is why I am asking people to check email and HBT in the event of a substitution.

We are packaging all of the hops in ziplock type bags (this was a choice most people preferred because everyone has their own method of packaging and storing their hops - so we went for cheap).

No bags required, you will be charged the cost for the bags we buy (nominal fee). Grain split bags are also provided. ALL items are pre-split and ready for pick up by yours truly, twogunz and Jeffb418. Yes, your welcome :D

No bags required, you will be charged the cost for the bags we buy (nominal fee). Grain split bags are also provided. ALL items are pre-split and ready for pick up by yours truly, twogunz and Jeffb418. Yes, your welcome :D

I am sending someone in my place to pick up my order, if there is a charge for the bags can I find out ahead of time and pay it so my pick up guy does not have to pay?

I am sending someone in my place to pick up my order, if there is a charge for the bags can I find out ahead of time and pay it so my pick up guy does not have to pay?

the charge for bags will be factored into your final amount owed (this amount is nominal and I can let anyone know what it actually is). I believe it is something like .09-.10 cents per hop bag and slightly more than that per grain split.

That is once you get actuals from me you will know your cost and no money exchanges hands onsite for grain or hops (it is handled outside of the pickup portion of the buy).

You should have slightly overpaid with the estimate we provided. However if you end up owing we will work that out. My hope is that I am paying you back when the actual $$ values come in.

jbsengineer said:
Anyone have a lead on a local deal on carboys or kegs? With my new setup online I need more!

Nope. I got my last bunch of kegs from kegglebrewing.com though. One of the best prices I could find shipped and the kegs come clean with no stickers which is a nice plus for me. He used to sell polished ones for a little more and those ones were kick ass

I know a place that sells pepsi kegs for like 25 each. Only prob is that they are mostly the old type with the one handle. I use pin-locks so no good for me. If anyone knows where they sell pin-locks....

yeah I think many of us would like a 25$ keg! :D

jbsengineer - I assume you are looking at cornies only? I am looking into using sabco 15.5g kegs and the feasibility of that. Not sure this is an interest of yours if so let me know and I have a source to buy brand new legit kegs. They are a big bigger and when full you have to be a bigger gent to "wrassle" them haha. However for one shipped it is about $180. You just need to buy the coupler with the home brew connections from Keg Connection and the rest stays the same. I haven't worked out all the details on cleaning the spear yet but the rest seems feasible.

Also, I was speaking with Todd from Keg connection yesterday. He said he is having a direct manufacture of new kegs in the coming future (italian made corny style kegs in 2.5,3 and gallon). I asked him if he would consider a discounted bulk buy with us in mind. Yes they would be brand new shiny top of the line kegs. Yes they would cost a bit more. He wasn't sure what he would sell them for yet but my gut guess was maybe less than $100 or so depending on quantity. I am not sure when he is planning on making a production run, but would guess within 4-6 months or so.

Just something to keep in mind as the ball lock and pin lock kegs dry up.

Lastly - I think nighthawk said he could get them for $30 a piece, I tossed a PM out to him somewhat recently but haven't heard back. Please feel free to ask him the same and see if we could get a buy going for cuse. I don't think we will see cheap keg prices in a year from now.

bellinmi88 - do you have any pricing information? (even if partial or general)

yeah I think many of us would like a 25$ keg! :D

jbsengineer - I assume you are looking at cornies only? I am looking into using sabco 15.5g kegs and the feasibility of that. Not sure this is an interest of yours if so let me know and I have a source to buy brand new legit kegs. They are a big bigger and when full you have to be a bigger gent to "wrassle" them haha. However for one shipped it is about $180. You just need to buy the coupler with the home brew connections from Keg Connection and the rest stays the same. I haven't worked out all the details on cleaning the spear yet but the rest seems feasible.

I'd be interested in the 15.5g model. How difficult would the removal and re-installation of the ball be?

If I went down that route I would probably be interested in the 1/6 kegs as well. More portable and easier to handle!

I'd be interested in the 15.5g model. How difficult would the removal and re-installation of the ball be?

If I went down that route I would probably be interested in the 1/6 kegs as well. More portable and easier to handle!

it isn't that hard - I just bought a good condition used keg and I was able to install the spring pin with just my hands. Granted I have rock climber grip hands, but definitely doable, more so with a set of pliers.

I think Chi company is selling the 1/6 kegs "on sale" right now. However I think they were like 120 used vs. 180 new for the 15.5 sanke

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to post this for the sankey kegs.

THIS is the coupler you would need with the connections to your home brew setup (I just bought one of these yesterday actually).

You would of course, open yourself up to being able to purchase kegs to use on your home system as well. Odd that I have never done that since I installed a tap system, but it isn't a bad option to have if you have a get together and you don't want to lose all your home brew, or just for the BMC crowd.

I also just bought the snap and regular retainer clips with some orings for the sankey's at mcmaster. Let me know if you need the p/n's

As a side note, our order has been submitted and we are waiting to hear back from NCM. Will keep you guys all posted.

bierhaus15 said:
Sunset Carbonic in Utica. Might have changed prices since I last filled my C02 tank, but they were selling them for 25$ as is. I'll give them a call and find out.

They are still $25 I have a few from them and I'm getting 2 more tomorrow.

Back