Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think the SCBC would be offended by a new club forming?

It seems kind of rude. Not that I am against that sort of thing.

I think if they were offended it would be pretty lame on their part. It isn't like it would be a competition with them, just a group with a different focus and interest.

As for me the idea is interesting, but with all the brew related stuff I do right now I would probably only be able to show for quarterly at best. I just have too many things going on (brewing and nonbrewing related). Trying to simplify, but that is just part of who I am I suppose.

I think longer span would be better anyhow, allows for more brewing in between and better chance of trying different beers from everyone involved.

Well, it wouldn't be a 'club' but more of a 'group'. No fees, meeting places could rotate between different peoples homes. Depending on the type of gathering, People attending could bring food to cookout during a brew session, etc.

There are multiple motorcycle groups in the area, many golf and bowling leagues, etc. so why not brewing groups?

Offended? If so then they don't truly support the homebrew craft movement as it 'expands'. Besides, it may lead to a little brew off. Lol

If we are counting hands for sake of interest, I would be in for it.

I am more interested in doing brewing related things like group brew days and brewery trips than just meetings.

Meetings would be alright, but we all meet here on the forums everyday, so they wouldn't be all that exciting for me.

It could also be as simple as a Facebook page that we join and a simple 'hey I'm brewing this weekend, anyone want to join me?'. Or I'm looking for 'x' yeast or 'y' hops but the store is out etc. group brews/picnics every so often

(As the new guy causes an uproar...)

+1 to dan's comments

I am more interested in tasting. We will inevitably talk about brewing and ask questions when we taste something. It happens naturally. Having a topic of discussion seems like too much work, and a bit contrived.

Let's drink beer and talk about what we like and don't like. Everything else (BBQ etc) is icing on the cake :D

The facebook idea isn't bad, I just am really bad at checking my account

I always thought it would be cool to have a brewing consortium either stand alone or as part of a club that standardized on a half dozen classic beer styles, perfected the recipes, process, yeast strains and branded it as a for profit venture. Imagine a statewide or nationwide brand that was able to retain a true craft beer quality.

Is there a section here for club pages? I think it would be easier to organize a get together with a page right here on homebrewtalk. I personally check this everyday, Facebook maybe once a week. It would still be nice to have a club/group facebook to connect with each other on a more personal level. I would be all for fieldtrips to some local breweries as well! My place isnt really big enough to have a full blown meeting but I could def organize a tour of breweries local to me(Horseheads, upstate brewing co., market street brewing, roosterfish, then end at ithaca.).

I have participated in Winery tours where you fill up a tour bus with people, everyone brings a covered dish, home brews in our case, bag chairs, portable tables, growlers, etc...

Hop(s) from brewery to brewery, picnic at one of them, swap brews, share the brews you filled your growlers with from the various brewery stops.

Tables everywhere filled with covered dishes, fruit, cheeses and snacks, music (live or otherwise).

Great time!

I have participated in Winery tours where you fill up a tour bus with people, everyone brings a covered dish, home brews in our case, bag chairs, portable tables, growlers, etc...

Hop(s) from brewery to brewery, picnic at one of them, swap brews, share the brews you filled your growlers with from the various brewery stops.

Tables everywhere filled with covered dishes, fruit, cheeses and snacks, music (live or otherwise).

Great time!

You def have my attention with this! My g/f and I do wine tours every couple months but I have never thought of doing that with breweries. How many breweries/brewpubs would we be able to do in the syracuse area? It wouldnt be worth it to charter a bus for anything less than 6 or so.

I also wanted to let you guys know that I'm headed to Burlington Vt. for a family get together that we do every year. I normally stop at The Alchemist on the way home. So if anyone hasn't had Heady Topper and would like some LMK.
Matt

You def have my attention with this! My g/f and I do wine tours every couple months but I have never thought of doing that with breweries. How many breweries/brewpubs would we be able to do in the syracuse area? It wouldnt be worth it to charter a bus for anything less than 6 or so.

There is a string of breweries starting in Rochester and working their way back to Syracuse I have been wanting to hit. Me an SWMBO have been planning to make the trip for over a year now and just never did it.

Rorhrbach, Custom Brewcrafters, Naked Dove, War Horse

Starting in Elmira and coming back through Ithaca/Cortland would b a good trip too. Especially after Ithaca finishes their new facility.

I have been to war horse. I wasn't really impressed with their beer. It is a really good time because of the 3 wineries that are on site as well.

There is a string of breweries starting in Rochester and working their way back to Syracuse I have been wanting to hit. Me an SWMBO have been planning to make the trip for over a year now and just never did it.

Starting in Elmira and coming back through Ithaca/Cortland would b a good trip too. Especially after Ithaca finishes their new facility.

My cobrewer and I (with wives in tow) have wanted to do a NY brew tour as well. We haven't put any effort into figuring out the details of course, but cetainly would be interested if such a trip was planned by hiring a ride or otherwise.

I have been building a Google Earth places list with all breweries/brewpubs/brewshops/etc that I can find in NY and surrounding areas to help plan trips like that.

I can zip and share with anyone if they want.

It isn't a perfect list, but it is nice to see them on the map.

War horse contracts out all of their brewing to Custom Brewcrafters, FYI. And like Mparson's says, they don't really have much thats good.

Meetings was a general term. More like gatherings or group outings as mentioned in previous post. I don't mind setting up a group page on Facebook. If it flies, then great! If no interest is shown, then it gets deleted

Thoughts?

Group page name options...(suggest at will!)

Unofficial cny homebrewers
Cny homebrewers
Homebrewers for homebrew (Syracuse edition)

Throw some at me...

You've also got Roc Brewing right in downtown Rochester - relatively new, just celebrating their 1st anniversary with a party on the 9th of June. Good beer and nice folks. Got to meet Jon, the founder and brewer when I volunteered at Beerology here in Buffalo.

http://rocbrewingco.com/

Meetings was a general term. More like gatherings or group outings as mentioned in previous post. I don't mind setting up a group page on Facebook. If it flies, then great! If no interest is shown, then it gets deleted

Thoughts?

Cny homebrewers

Throw some at me...

Syracuse Grain Hogs? I've never seen people go through so much malt!

Thoughts?

Cny homebrewers

Throw some at me...

I Love Brew York!

You've also got Roc Brewing right in downtown Rochester - relatively new, just celebrating their 1st anniversary with a party on the 9th of June. Good beer and nice folks. Got to meet Jon, the founder and brewer when I volunteered at Beerology here in Buffalo.

http://rocbrewingco.com/

These are great guys and friends of mine. I've brewed with Jon and help out when I can. I hope to be there Saturday and I WILL be there for the anniversary blast.

all you Syracuse guys should come in for Rochester Real Beer expo, they shut down a street by tap and mallet (good beer bar) and bring all kinds of local BBQ, pizzas, cigars, etc. Good time.

http://rochesterrealbeer.com/

This is a great event and I'm working it. Not sure what I'll be doing, but I'll be there!!!

Just got home from picking my stuff up from cidah. That must have been the nicest smelling ride in a vehicle ever! 15lbs of hops and dino leftovers! Thanks to everyone involved!

So far I have for the Facebook page...

Syracuse Grain Hogs

Empire State Brewers (ESB)

S.M.A.S.H (Syracuse's Malt And Serious Hops) Society (or group)

Thoughts?

brian4508 said:
So far I have for the Facebook page...

Syracuse Grain Hogs

Empire State Brewers (ESB)

S.M.A.S.H (Syracuse's Malt And Serious Hops) Society (or group)

Thoughts?

I like it.

copyright1997 said:
Did you see my 11 pound bag of Cascade when you were at Cidah's house? :ban:

No I didn't.... There was a bunch of stuff there. All the hops were in boxes as well. Make sure to post pictures! Haha

I vote for cidahs for our first get together! His property is gorgeous and in the middle of nowhere! Sorry to throw you under the bus Keith!

No I didn't.... There was a bunch of stuff there. All the hops were in boxes as well. Make sure to post pictures! Haha

I vote for cidahs for our first get together! His property is gorgeous and in the middle of nowhere! Sorry to throw you under the bus Keith!

Haha! Why you little! :D

Thanks though, we have certainly worked hard on our property, so I will be sure to let my wife know you liked it!

We used to have a Friday night happy hour group called ICBLC (ice cold beer lifting club)

this is funny ha!

Latest posts

Back