Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 hours and all bags are counted, split, and separated per person.

Bad news, they shorted us a bag of GP-FLBLY. We ordered 2 and only got 1. Both bags were for splits. So we divided it up the following way so everyone still got some flaked barley.

Original Splits:
0.5 - Cidahmasta
0.5 - JBSEngineer
0.333 - JeffB
0.333 - Drocu
0.333 - Rustbucket

New splits (since we only had one bag, we just multiplied everyone's split by 0.5):
0.25 (13.75 #) - Cidahmastah
0.25 (13.75 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB
0.1665 (9.1#) - Drocu
0.1665 (9.1#) - Rustbucket

Cidah said that they wont replace any missing bags since the shipping would be really high for them. He will update everyone on the finical side of this mistake. Sorry everyone didnt get the whole split they wanted, but we figured this was the most fair way to proceed.

I will be putting together order lists for each person and PMing them and placing a matching sheet on each organized bundle. Please bring the sheet with you (and anybody's you're picking up) when you pick up your grain. Im hoping to do the final labeling tonight and then you'll be able to pick up your orders.

Just wanted to post that for saturday if you are picking up the hours are 10am-2pm I believe. So be sure you are aware that you have to pick up in that time frame.

twoguz can correct me if I am wrong.

Twogunz, the people with red pricing can't pick up their stuff yet.

To that affect I received some more payments:
mparsons - good for pick up
and of course I grabbed your check last night

PAID.jpg

We can hopefully start pick ups Friday but once again I'll post a final word when I get the orders labeled.

Bad news, they shorted us a bag of GP-FLBLY. We ordered 2 and only got 1. Both bags were for splits. So we divided it up the following way so everyone still got some flaked barley.

Original Splits:
0.5 - Cidahmastah
0.5 - JBSEngineer
0.333 - JeffB
0.333 - Drocu
0.333 - Rustbucket

New splits (since we only had one bag, we just multiplied everyone's split by 0.5):
0.25 (13.75 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB
0.1665 (9.1#) - Drocu

Cidah said that they wont replace any missing bags since the shipping would be really high for them. He will update everyone on the finical side of this mistake. Sorry everyone didnt get the whole split they wanted, but we figured this was the most fair way to proceed.

I was able to charm our rep into sending us the bag for free.

However since we already portioned it out as a half of people's split we will have to do that again when the other bags comes in (probably early next week).

Is everyone from syracuse? If you are we don't have any issues. However if you are not we will have to play some bag swapping games.

0.5 - Cidahmasta (Syracuse)
0.5 - JBSEngineer (Syracuse)
0.333 - JeffB (Syracuse)
0.333 - Drocu (Rochester?)
0.333 - Rustbucket (Syracuse)

If Drocu is from rochester maybe we could give him a full portion from one of the splits from a local guy. Problem is that all but Jbsenginner is the only split that is still at busch products.

JBSengineer, would you be ok with cutting taking from your current split to give drocu a full portion? When the bag comes in next week we can divide up to get you totally up to .5. So in other words, drocu gets a full split and the rest of us are made whole when the bag comes in next week.

This would mean twogunz would tap into your current bag and remove 9.1 lbs leaving us with:

0.085 (4.65 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB
.33 (18.2#) - Drocu

When the bag comes in we would then portion as follows:

.415 (22.85 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB

Keep the extra from my tab. Thanks for the hard work.

More likely than not, CBK will be picking up my order along with his.

drocu is from Rochester. I am planning to pick up my order and his Saturday morning.

Thanks. And to clarify, I don't really care who the person is who is picking up your order, I just need to know if a different HBT name is going to pick up more than 1 order so I can make the appropriate pick-up sheets. In the end, I'll probably send out individual ones anyways since that is the way we organized them and you can just bring multiple ones for all of the HBT names you're collecting for.

So I came to another conclusion... I need to brew!

After hauling all that grain down I realized I filled my big 55G overstock barrels and have three bags out in general population. Well some problems are good problems to have :D

So I came to another conclusion... I need to brew!

After hauling all that grain down I realized I filled my big 55G overstock barrels and have three bags out in general population. Well some problems are good problems to have :D

the fact that you filled 55G barrels with over stock, is quite amazing... "i think you might have a problem as your wife would say..." thats a good problem to have if you have to brew so you dont have spoilage of grain!

Any sage advice on roller mills? My buddy is interested in upgrading our mill (and Ia m not going to stand in his way).

At a glance:
1. Monster mills are $$ if you go stainless on the rollers ()
2. Barley crushers don't have stainless rollers and I have heard they will slip over time, not sure what the replacement cost would be. Otherwise seem reasonably priced
3. rebel brewer has a mill, but they don't list specs. It seems like a good in between, but not sure.

the fact that you filled 55G barrels with over stock, is quite amazing... "i think you might have a problem as your wife would say..." thats a good problem to have if you have to brew so you dont have spoilage of grain!

Well I didn't empty the bags into my "overstock", however I did throw 4 sealed sacks of grain them, so 8 bags of overstock ha!

i personally would go with one that SS, A. wont rust. B. much harder (so wont wear down over time), C. Can whip down with wet cloth and not have to worry.

I think rebel is best for what you get... looking at it.

i personally would go with one that SS, A. wont rust. B. much harder (so wont wear down over time), C. Can whip down with wet cloth and not have to worry.

I think rebel is best for what you get... looking at it.

that was my thought - stainless would be longer wearing (we tend to brew a lot so necessary). And my basement is moist, so better corrosion resistance.

in doing that, you have to pay more for the monster mill for essentially the same thing as the rebal (saying its 2" rollers). and you don't get a hopper or a mount.

the biggest problem i see with those, is the bushing wearing out. and needing to be replaced. i hope they are oil impregnated, i would call rebel up and ask them about that. becuase if they are not your going to have to lube the shaft somehow, to keep from wearing

I have the mm2 with ss rollers. Been using it for almost 2 years with no issues. Have to say though that the new rebel mill looks like a beast and comes standard with many of the extra options compared to the mm2. (SS rollers and a hopper.)

I will be looking for one too now that I have some grain stocked. I am thinking a little extra money spent up front will keep me from having to replace something down the road...

I own a monster mill and love it. I didnt upgrade to the stainless, but haven't had issues with it. I've owned it over a year now, and keep it in my garage. I bought the 2 inch rollers, but wish I upgraded to the 2" rollers instead. Ive used the barely crusher at Sunset and absolutely hated it. One wheel was sticking and it shredded the grain instead of crushing it. Also it was a super PITA to adjust the mill spacing. The MM i have is easy to adjust and holds spacing great over time without re-adjusting.

I have a 3 roller CrankandStien. It has my highest recommendation. A professional brewer friend recommended it and I have had zero problems. I just blast it with air when I'm done and thats it.

I have a 3 roller CrankandStien. It has my highest recommendation. A professional brewer friend recommended it and I have had zero problems. I just blast it with air when I'm done and thats it.

That's the one I really wanted. Until I put it in the cart:

Stainless 2'' 3 roller - $364
Base/Hopper - $40
Extension Hopper - $25

$429

Yeeeouch!

update: oh I forgot to mention.. shipping at $31.90

So 460.90 for that mill.

Am I the only one who thinks that price is absolutely insane?

Bierhaus - received your and Karen roths's payments today.

Payment Status update:

PAID.jpg

My wife bought it here. A homebrewer would be hard pressed to mill enough grain were SS would be worth it. Shipping is a flat $6.99.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102169/crankandstein-3d

That's the one I really wanted. Until I put it in the cart:

Stainless 2'' 3 roller - $364
Base/Hopper - $40
Extension Hopper - $25

$429

Yeeeouch!

update: oh I forgot to mention.. shipping at $31.90

So 460.90 for that mill.

Am I the only one who thinks that price is absolutely insane?

Correct, normal business hours are:
8-5 mon-fri
10-2 Saturdays

We can hopefully start pick ups Friday but once again I'll post a final word when I get the orders labeled.

If I could pick up on Friday - that would be awesome - I'd be looking at around 4 pm. If not I can wait until Saturday.

Cidah, Jeff and TwoGunz - keep my over payment, thanks for all the effort you put in.

Also - Cidah - I think you've got a misprint in your totals - mine should be ~$250 with ~$265 paid - so unless I've got some grain coming to me that I don't know about, the $319 total is off.

ill be there right at 10 on saturday to put all 200lbs into my jetta. maybe ill just sit one up front and strap it in for good measure.

Pickup Update
Pickup is ready for those who are paid up. We'll need to do a bit of coordination though so as not to disturb business as usual in the office and shop.

I'd like to get as many pickups done this Saturday from 10-12pm as I'll be in the building at that time and rather not have to burn my whole Saturday waiting around. Saturday is pretty busy in the showroom though so I'd like to stagger pickup times to avoid one big rush. Please send me a private message if you'd like to pick up on Saturday and when you'd be able to come from 10-12pm.

If you cannot make Saturday, then you can pickup before 4:00pm on weekdays or possibly next Saturday from 10-12pm. The shipping and receiving department punches out earlier than the general showroom hours so disregard my previous post or the website.

Lastly, if these times just won't work, then PM me and we'll figure something else out.

Regardless of when you pick up though, go in the main entrance in the front and indicate you're picking up beer grain.

Is there any possible chance someone in the Syracuse area could pick my grain up when they grab theirs. Then I could grab it from their house. I have to drop the girlfriend off in cortland for a certification exam at 12:30. Then I was going to rush to Syracuse to be at the pickup destination when I thought it would be from 10 - 2. If not that's perfectly fine I will just make other arrangements with twogunz.

Any sage advice on roller mills? My buddy is interested in upgrading our mill (and Ia m not going to stand in his way).

At a glance:
1. Monster mills are $$ if you go stainless on the rollers ()
2. Barley crushers don't have stainless rollers and I have heard they will slip over time, not sure what the replacement cost would be. Otherwise seem reasonably priced
3. rebel brewer has a mill, but they don't list specs. It seems like a good in between, but not sure.

I just bought this mill...Cereal Killer....http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html I haven't tried it yet but for $90 you can't go wrong!!!

Just get a pallet jack, your stuff easily filled a whole pallet! Bahahah. You and Cidah def had the most.

i think they could load it with the forklift, it mill make life easy getting it on the truck, off is a whole different story...

Luckily I have a truck for my 950+ pounds, :D

Good thing! You can probably get them to drop your pallet load on your truck!

I seem to recall your car a bit packed to the brim jeff :D what was that 22 bags? ha

I did notice my truck was sticking ot the road pretty good due to the weight when i drive home though... not to be outdone!

CidahMastah said:
Good thing! You can probably get them to drop your pallet load on your truck!

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. They've pushed everything to the side a bit do if we can just get it and lift the stuff it's probably less of a process. We'll figure it out when you pickup though.

Guys any other people picking up in groups that twogunz should be aware of?

Coordinated pick up

Car 1 (Westco) - picking up bish07, Snooky and abrew2u.

Car 2 (CBK) - Drocu, Smashing

Car 3 (JBSengineer) - oh wait... that pallet of grain is only for him :D

Twogunz, is there any way I could pick my grain up a little later than 1? Could you also pm me the form I need to pick my stuff up?

I did notice my truck was sticking ot the road pretty good due to the weight when i drive home though... not to be outdone!

i felt like i had a walmart shopper or two in my car as well! it was a little doggy but it stuck to the corners well!

Latest posts

Back