Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this has to be the best coordinated well run group buy in the country!

yes that's right folks...
We will even drink the beer you brew for you. All you have to do is give it to us and all that pesky beer will be gone and thoroughly enjoyed!

:D

that is a "across the board" cost?

I know in the past I have calculated hefe prices at like $18 for 11g including grain and hops (hops = $1 an oz for me). big IPAs at like $36 (call it 10 gallons for ease finished).

106 (12oz) brews in 2 kegs =

Hefe:
~.17 per 12oz

IPA:
~.34 per 12oz

Not bad for craft beer....

But who drinks beer 12 oz at a time we need to calculate the pint price 16oz!!!

Also to make pickup easier, I went through last night and made labels for each of the splits. So it was be easy to tell what is who's, and what types. Plus it will make it easier on us to measure out.

photo122.JPG

This is kick ass thanks guys!!!

CIDAH can you divide my $26 and some change by three and give it to yourself, Jeff and Twogunz for a thank you for making this happen for us!!! For all the work you have done and will continue to do. Its easier then me trying to figure out what email my PayPal is on thanks!!!

CIDAH can you divide my $26 and some change by three and give it to yourself, Jeff and Twogunz for a thank you for making this happen for us!!! For all the work you have done and will continue to do. Its easier then me trying to figure out what email my PayPal is on thanks!!!

Thanks!!

(12 vs 16oz) - just trying to inflate that number as much as possible :D

Wow, you guys don't have to but its definitely appreciated!

you remind me of myself :D

I also resemble that remark. I just got 8# from a recent sale ($6.99/#), also bought 1# centennial (whole, $18 or so), some Simcoe. Prior to that over $100 of various on sale varieties from farmhouse brewing (averaged about .80/ounce). Also some local Cascade, Centennial, couple other varieties that I got for free (a few pounds worth after drying). Plus some mystery hops from a friend who had them growing in the back yard (looks like Cascade). Plus some hops I bought from rebel brewer (again, around $0.80/ounce).

All told, I think I have over 25# (maybe closer to 30#) in the freezer (vacuum sealed). That's it. Whatever I brew, I better find something to use, otherwise it is substitution time!

Here's a picture of the hops I had gotten from Farmhouse Brewing (around the holidays). Each of those packages has 4 ounces:

hops.jpeg

Here's a couple of pictures from the local hops drying in my house. I had about 4+ buckets like this, and the house smelled awesome!

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

CBK - tried some of your wee heavy tonight - really tasty. I think the mo did really step it up. Interested to try it with the TF-GPromise too. It hasn't even aged all that much brewed jan 1. Needs a little aging but I really like where I think it is going!

Glad you like it. It is definitely one that gets better with time. I managed to hold on to the bulk of a previous batch for 8 months. Checked my bank account this morning and it shows the last check I sent to you has cleared. There is also a money order on it's way. You may get it today if not Monday. Going to do a rebrew of the celebration. Like everyone else here I have been stocking up on hops.
:mug:

So I take it you liked the celebration!

Lucckily I have a good pipeline so I wont be getting to the scotch ale for a bit. My buddy is bottling up his half of the brew sunday with a duvel clone and an oatmeal stoute

y. Going to do a rebrew of the celebration

So I take it you liked the celebration!

That SN Celebration recipe is awesome. It feels like I just kegged the batch and already the keg is starting to feel light. It was a hit at a super bowl party from those that drink craft beers. Also, I gave one to someone that works at the local co-op (who is familiar with the real thing) and the feedback it (my clone) was spot on but somehow "better".

I intend to re-brew it soon, but still want to do some sort of Nugget Nectar (Troeg's) first. Also I did my first starter last night with some lager yeast as I want to try a lager (some sort of pilsner, still trying to decide what) before it starts getting too warm in my cold basement.

If anyone has a credit from the buy; PM me and let me know your paypal account or how else you would like to handle the credit. Thanks!

I intend to re-brew it soon, but still want to do some sort of Nugget Nectar (Troeg's) first. Also I did my first starter last night with some lager yeast as I want to try a lager (some sort of pilsner, still trying to decide what) before it starts getting too warm in my cold basement.

I really liked (still liking as I did a double batch of this) the SN celebration clone too.

Tried my lager last night (1 month lagering) -really liked it! Want to start another before the summer too. I am going to try to keep out of that lager for at least another 2-4 weeks. I really want to do like 2 more lagers, but I just don't have the lagering capacity right now...

Nugget nector would be a cool one to try - want to burn up a bunch of vien.

Post# 2 has been updated with the latest payments and credits.

FYI: I just received another amazon payment: Only $287.90

If your name is on this sheet you either owe money (red) or I owe you Money (green). Please PM me if I owe you money and let me know how you want to handle it - your paypal, etc.

If you sent money but are listed as "owe" don't sweat responding; I am just trying to keep on top of this so all the $$ are accounted for up to the minute.

If you sent me a personal check, it must clear before you can pick up grain.
Twogunz will be checking in with me to see if you are "cleared for pick up".

Thanks all

CidahMastah said:
I really liked (still liking as I did a double batch of this) the SN celebration clone too.

Tried my lager last night (1 month lagering) -really liked it! Want to start another before the summer too. I am going to try to keep out of that lager for at least another 6-8 weeks. I really want to do like 2 more lagers, but I just don't have the lagering capacity right now...

Nugget nector would be a cool one to try - want to burn up a bunch of vien.

Is your lager recipe easy to do? I want to start with one as simple as possible.

Is your lager recipe easy to do? I want to start with one as simple as possible.

I did the BYO pilsner urquell clone. The recipe is pretty simple but I decided to do a single mash out decoction. So basically you do a single infusion mash, then about half way through the mash or so you pull a decoction volume and boil it for 20 minutes. Then you add that back to the mash and it brings your mash up to 170F for your mash out. Batch sparge as usual and then your lagering technique.

For lagering I cooled it to 45F and pitched, then brough up to 55F I think or 50F over the next day. I fermented until I was at around 1.020 and then did a d-rest rest to F.G. at 65F. Lagered at 32F since then. Check this out for some more details and what I actually ended up doing:

If you want to go simple you can skip the decoction and do a single infusion. But the lagering process itself is where it gets finicky (you have to watch it). If nothing else that thread will likely answer a lot of questions you have about decoctions, and lagering techniques.

Cidah, I sent a money order out you should receive it soon.

I should have a definite answer about the kegs sometime next week. I will keep everyone updated!

Anybody have a knock out ESB recipe? Wanted to compare a few because we are brewing tomorrow.

Now that I tried that lager I am really wishing I had bought another bag of BZ-PILS... !

Here's the last one I made, I've really enjoyed it towards the middle/end of the keg. You need to like Fuggles, I enjoy them and find them different in a juicy sort of way...

Boil Size: 6.25 Gal
IBU's: 34.27
Color: 11.7 SRM
ABV: 5.9

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 86.96 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Amber Malt 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.66 Palisade 60 mins 8.00
0.50 ozs 4.00 Fuggles 15 mins 4.50
0.50 ozs 1.61 Fuggles 5 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast White Labs 0039

Just received some check in the mail:
CBK $45
JBS engineer 415
Bishop - 160
Abrew2U - 138.40

updated on post 2

Here's the last one I made, I've really enjoyed it towards the middle/end of the keg. You need to like Fuggles, I enjoy them and find them different in a juicy sort of way...

Boil Size: 6.25 Gal
IBU's: 34.27
Color: 11.7 SRM
ABV: 5.9

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 86.96 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 4.35 % Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 60 mins 1.033
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
0.25 lbs 2.17 % Amber Malt 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 28.66 Palisade 60 mins 8.00
0.50 ozs 4.00 Fuggles 15 mins 4.50
0.50 ozs 1.61 Fuggles 5 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Nottingham Ale Yeast White Labs 0039

what is the mash temp?

Scallywag
abrew2u

Thanks so much guys - you rock!! :D

I feel like we are getting major props this time around, really appreciate it!

twoguns i saw a recipe w a 157f mash and thought wtf? that is why I asked I was thinking g151

Back