Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
995 lbs of grain loaded up.....

I'm about 180, my daughter is about 30..... we're right up against the 1200 lb cargo limit for my car. I'm thinking I'll take it slow down the thruway.

Thanks all for your efforts - I'm sure some tasty beer will come of it.

-Weston

Guys any other people picking up in groups that twogunz should be aware of?

Coordinated pick up

Car 1 (Westco) - picking up bish07, Snooky and abrew2u.

Car 2 (CBK) - Drocu, Smashing

Car 3 (JBSengineer) - oh wait... that pallet of grain is only for him :D

:D I will getting a workout on Monday afternoon it looks like! Buckets, labels, and gamma seals are ready!

The missing bag of flaked barley got delivered lickity split today. I have to apologize though, there was a bit of a miscommunication with the shipping guys. I told them not to worry about the bag that I had to "split it up." Being helpful they split it up by however many order pickups we had separated and plopped a little bag on each order.

I think some of you guys might have ended up with a fortuitous bag. I did a quick estimation and weighed the bags with my tiny scale and made each of the orders who actually had the flaked barley roughly accurate but I'm sure it's not 100% correct.

So my apologies in advance if you get shorted a bit. Same goes for any of the splits that may be a little off-- we were weighing and dumping like mad the other night.

TwoGunz said:
The missing bag of flaked barley got delivered lickity split today. I have to apologize though, there was a bit of a miscommunication with the shipping guys. I told them not to worry about the bag that I had to "split it up." Being helpful they split it up by however many order pickups we had separated and plopped a little bag on each order.

I think some of you guys might have ended up with a fortuitous bag. I did a quick estimation and weighed the bags with my tiny scale and made each of the orders who actually had the flaked barley roughly accurate but I'm sure it's not 100% correct.

So my apologies in advance if you get shorted a bit. Same goes for any of the splits that may be a little off-- we were weighing and dumping like mad the other night.

Twogunz,

Yeah I know when I was there they gave me something extra, not sure what it was it's still in the car, sons swim meet started later than we thought so I had time to run over and get it. Met your mom, and some of the people up front, all very nice. Your mom asked what school my son went too and new right were it was, said she lived in the next town over back in the day. A great big thanks again to you and your family and employees for helping us out to receive the order and help us all out. Started snowing like mad on my way back to the pool. Thanks again the everyone. All the best.

So does this mean that Jeff, rust and I didn't get any of the rest of our splits since we already picked up?

Not to be a jerk, I know this isn't that much money, but if you guys get something outside your order don't take it. I would say this even if I was not involved in this situation. Check your order, and take only what is yours.

Waorgany - this isn't pointed at you just a future reference for all the guys picking up.

I was confused about that. They had me take a small bag of the flaked barley for each of the people I was picking up for - said it was extra that came in. So I apologize about that, didn't mean to short anyone, I just assumed that it was at the direction of those in charge. Had I known, I certainly would have refused.

Also - I would recommend that those still picking up splits bring an extra garbage bag or two - I had one open up on me in the car. I was able to bag it quickly but it could have made a mess.

Thanks for everything - see you in round 7.

CidahMastah said:
So does this mean that Jeff, rust and I didn't get any of the rest of our splits since we already picked up?

I took the rest of the flaked barley for you guys and I think it's close but a little light. It sucks, but it's only a small goof and I can't fault the employees for "helping"

I just measured the remainder and it's 17.5lbs

I took the rest of the flaked barley for you guys and I think it's close but a little light. It sucks, but it's only a small goof and I can't fault the employees for "helping"

I just measured the remainder and it's 17.5lbs

Not ragging, just curious. I ordered a 1/2 a sack. How much do you think I can expect? Thanks.

Not ragging, just curious. I ordered a 1/2 a sack. How much do you think I can expect? Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, I didn't have all of the info with me to do the exact calculations but I didn't pull anything from your split yesterday and added about 9lbs more. So I think that puts you pretty close to your order around 20lbs

I think it's Cidah and Jeff who probably got punked the most. Cidah and Jeff -- you guys can take whatever donation was apportioned to me for that.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, I didn't have all of the info with me to do the exact calculations but I didn't pull anything from your split yesterday and added about 9lbs more. So I think that puts you pretty close to your order around 20lbs

I think it's Cidah and Jeff who probably got punked the most. Cidah and Jeff -- you guys can take whatever donation was apportioned to me for that.

the weights were supposed to be distributed were:

# 13.75 (Jbsengineer) - total = #27.5
#13.75 (cidahmastah) - total = #27.5
# 9 (rustbucket) - total = #9
# 9 (Jeff) - total = #9
# 9 (Drocu) - total = #9

So the losses are:
Jbsengineer (~5lbs short)
cidahmastah (~13.75lbs short)
Rustbucket (~9lbs short)
Drocu (~??lbs short) Not sure what drocu ended up getting - how much did you add to his. he had 9lbs originally.

with 17.5lbs left undistributed.

We could have folks pay through paypal for the splits they took so twogunz does lose his $ for his efforts.

I don't remember where drocu started but I think I dropped a ~4# bag on his pile, possibly 2 if my notes indicated he was short 9-10# but I don't remember.

I'm not worried about evening up on this one in terms of $ from my side. We saved so much with this buy and getting the commercial shipment I can live with it.

Next time around though, I do think we should build in some extra benefit for those involved (particularly Cidah) given the amount of time and effort this consumes. I'm glad I could pitch in this time around but it is a decent commitment. I also think we need to potentially tighten the rules down a bit to limit the number of splits and small orders. If we can make this smooth, then we can potentially use the facility again.

CidahMastah said:
I was able to charm our rep into sending us the bag for free.

However since we already portioned it out as a half of people's split we will have to do that again when the other bags comes in (probably early next week).

Is everyone from syracuse? If you are we don't have any issues. However if you are not we will have to play some bag swapping games.

0.5 - Cidahmasta (Syracuse)
0.5 - JBSEngineer (Syracuse)
0.333 - JeffB (Syracuse)
0.333 - Drocu (Rochester?)
0.333 - Rustbucket (Syracuse)

If Drocu is from rochester maybe we could give him a full portion from one of the splits from a local guy. Problem is that all but Jbsenginner is the only split that is still at busch products.

JBSengineer, would you be ok with cutting taking from your current split to give drocu a full portion? When the bag comes in next week we can divide up to get you totally up to .5. So in other words, drocu gets a full split and the rest of us are made whole when the bag comes in next week.

This would mean twogunz would tap into your current bag and remove 9.1 lbs leaving us with:

0.25 (13.75 #) - Cidahmastah
0.085 (4.65 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB
.33 (18.2#) - Drocu
0.1665 (9.1#) - Rustbucket

When the bag comes in we would then portion as follows:

0.25 (13.75 #) - Cidahmastah
.415 (22.85 #) - JBSEngineer
0.1665 (9.1#) - JeffB
0.1665 (9.1#) - Rustbucket

So... I'm pretty confused about whats going on with the flaked barley. Originally I was supposed to get 18#, then it became 9# because of the missing bag, but now a second bag has shown up but some of it has been mistakenly given out to others. So should I expect closer to 18# or is it back down to 9#?

Honestly, I don't really care all that much and am not even sure if my final tab was for 9# or 18#. Plus CBK is likely on his way to pick up my portion now.

Not to be a jerk, I know this isn't that much money, but if you guys get something outside your order don't take it. I would say this even if I was not involved in this situation. Check your order, and take only what is yours.

Yeah I was also confused as to why these guys were giving me something that I didn't order, don't think that you need to blame me. I will gladly return this bag of what ever it is the next time I come down to SYR. I am at the airport almost every week. Next week MON depart and SAT return, gladly return this bag if someone wants to coordinate a link up.

I was confused about that. They had me take a small bag of the flaked barley for each of the people I was picking up for - said it was extra that came in. So I apologize about that, didn't mean to short anyone, I just assumed that it was at the direction of those in charge. Had I known, I certainly would have refused.

I agree, also not trying to point fingers, but I think that there was some confusion with the guys instructions, and their actions. Like I said early I do appreciate the efforts of all involved. That is one of the reasons that I donated my remaining $27 credit to Cidah, Jeff, and TwoGunz...and you see that started a trend from everyone after me when I did that.

I took the rest of the flaked barley for you guys and I think it's close but a little light. It sucks, but it's only a small goof and I can't fault the employees for "helping" I just measured the remainder and it's 17.5lbs

Like I said I will gladly return the bag they gave me, just not sure where, or when, or to who. Your parents business is a distance from the airport, and my truck on a good day gets 12 MPG!!!! Just let me know and I will get this back to who ever, so no one is mad and pointing fingers, thanks.

dates at airport next month or so:

Depart Return
20 FEB 25 FEB
6 MAR 8 MAR
12 MAR? 16 MAR?
24 MAR 1 APR
10 APR 20 APR

So I am sure at some point in time during those dates I can return this grain so all is happy, the least I can do. Please advise, thanks and sorry.

Drocu, I think you'll end up close to your order but we're all as equally confused as you. ****e happens!

I'll let you guys coordinate any kind of evening up as necessary as I'm not in that split. If I were though, I would just go with it. You know, RDWHAHB sort of thing. In the end we saved more than the cost of a bag.

waorgany - I sent you a pm before I originally posted to try to state that this wasn't blaming or pointing fingers at you. Apparently that didn't work. So let me be clear - I am not pointing fingers, or blaming you or anyone least of all you :)

Point is, I was saying going forward all buyers take only what is yours. This is my way of saying - even the buy coordinators are human and we mess up. So yes twogunz is correct, we all need to RDWHAHB (or two) :D

Mistakes happen and this was a mistake. Now we need to find a resolution. That is all there isn't any bad blood. I am not incredibly concerned about my split, but I want all parties to be happy with what they got vs. what they paid for.

No one is asking anyone to return the grain, as that is inconvenient and in some cases at a great expense. RIght now we have a couple options on the table and we can sort this out. I hate to see twogunz lose his donation on this one, but if he wants to use that to we can go that route.

Waorgany, you were incredibly generous with your donation, as were others. Maybe the donations will just go towards paying for things like this. Or maybe we will build in a fee of say 10% that gets used for mistakes or split up in some way. I will think on this going forward for the next buy.

Sounds like we need to consider how to handle things like this going forward or risk participants being upset and the buy not being successful.

I'm fine with the original 9# that I received, dont worry about including me in the second bag. Take the amount set aside for me and split it to the others that are included in the split to get them closer to what they are supposed to get.

Also Cidah, don't worry about refunding me, its like $5 and I'm not worried at all about that. Its all in the noise at this point. 9# of flaked barley is more than enough for me.

Originally I wasn't expecting to get any more flaked barely when we found out we got shorted a bag, and we saved so much money in the grand scheme of things that it really didn't bother me that $5 worth of grain wasn't there.

Guys,

Like I stated in my previous post, just let me know who this grain needs to go to and I will coordinate a time and location to drop it off, I hate to see anyone get shorted, and feel very bad that this happened, just sure wish I wasn't one of the people that got caught in the cross fire, (been there and done that in real life, and never is very fun, good think most people can't shoot straight). I am not sure how much is in the bag I have I am guessing @7-9 lbs I will try to weigh and advise. Just let me know who needs it and I will find a way to get it back to its home. Thanks again for all that you guys do for us. All the best.

Paul

:mug:

Guys,

Like I stated in my previous post, just let me know who this grain needs to go to and I will coordinate a time and location to drop it off, I hate to see anyone get shorted, and feel very bad that this happened, just sure wish I wasn't one of the people that got caught in the cross fire, (been there and done that in real life, and never is very fun, good think most people can't shoot straight). I am not sure how much is in the bag I have I am guessing @7-9 lbs I will try to weigh and advise. Just let me know who needs it and I will find a way to get it back to its home. Thanks again for all that you guys do for us. All the best.

Paul

:mug:

Listen all,

Want to be clear on this - I am trying to advocate for people in the split. That is all. There is no ill will and I want to do what is fair and reasonable.

Unreasonable = people to making extra efforts to return a few lbs of grain.

Let's all just take a breath.

I will chat with the people in the splits and we will go from there - no need for action by anybody! :)

-------------
You guys are keeping me from working on my control panel... stop it :D :mug:

I don't think I've heard anything from the following on when they can pickup:
Hoptopia
Scallywag
Hopthepot

If I have and lost the info, my apologies please just PM me again. My inbox was getting busy there for a bit.

Hoptopia
Scallywag
Hopthepot

If I have and lost the info, my apologies please just PM me again. My inbox was getting busy there for a bit.

i still need payment from hopthepot before pick up - just an FYI

Thanks for picking up so quick guys!

I don't remember where drocu started but I think I dropped a ~4# bag on his pile, possibly 2 if my notes indicated he was short 9-10# but I don't remember..

Just got back from picking up. Wanted to say thanks once again to Cidah, Jeff and TwoGunz. Just for the record there were 2 ~4#bags on his pile plus the original split 9.15#.

No ill will towards anyone here. Mistakes happen. I saved so much this round that it would take a lot to make me grumpy, :D! If needed we can take some barley from my split to help even out the missing splits.

Thanks again to all the coordinators and there effort.

Hoptopia
Scallywag
Hopthepot

My pick-up person went to Cancun for a vacation. I have to make alternate plans. Sorry. :confused:

looks like the only payments left are rustbucket and hoptthe pot.

THanks for getting your payments in guys

got a lot done on my control panel and tomorrow will be working on the brew stand with my buddy (fabrication day!). No brewing be cause we sold our tun and not are waiting on a 20G blichman!!

Hope you guys are plotting and planning with all that new grain like we are :)

My Brother-in-law will be picking my order up this week sometime during business hours.

Please let me know if this is not acceptable. Sorry for being a PITA.

I picked up my grain today and got exactly what I ordered. Three cheers for JeffB, twoGunz, and Cidah! You guys are awesome!

looks like the only payments left are rustbucket and hoptthe pot.

THanks for getting your payments in guys

got a lot done on my control panel and tomorrow will be working on the brew stand with my buddy (fabrication day!). No brewing be cause we sold our tun and not are waiting on a 20G blichman!!

Hope you guys are plotting and planning with all that new grain like we are :)

finished the frame to my brew stand today, have to seal up the wood with some poly then put on the top surface and shelves.

I worked some on my control box today as well...more tomorrow....

Nice! I cut out all the front panel and next is the receptacles and all the tapping and hopefully paint during the week!

nvr2low - are you mocking up a stand like the ebrewery one>

post some picks guys! I plan on posting a few to my link, but want to get ahead on the build first . enjoy :D

I find it interesting that so many of us are converting to electric and or upgrading.

I took this coming week off so I can make some serious progress on my basement ebrewery. I have a lot to do!

CidahMastah said:
Nice! I cut out all the front panel and next is the receptacles and all the tapping and hopefully paint during the week!

post some picks guys! I plan on posting a few to my link, but want to get ahead on the build first . enjoy :D

At the gf's brewing a Belgian pale, once I get home I will post a couple photos, or go in the DIY section, build thread is in there.

995 lbs hauled off to Buffalo safe and sound.

Are we settled then with the flaked barley? A quick measurement shows that I ended up with about 10 lbs or so for the Buffalo folks- I gave a bag to ABrew2U with his grain, and forgot to give a bag to Bish07. If need be, I will send a payment to whomever got shorted. Sorry about grabbing what wasn't mine - the shipping guys said an extra bag came in and that was why they were divvying it up.

Grain in Mazda.JPG

Grain in Mazda2.JPG

Grain in Mazda3.JPG

I have pics posted in my build thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/waorgany-brewing-e-herms-brewery-build-287643/

Will try to work on cutting out the holes for the outlets as well today...still debating on putting the heat sinks inside or on the exterior of the box?

I weighed my flake grain and I was given 4.5 lbs....

Latest posts

Back