Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks westo2 for getting all the grain for the buffalo guys we all appreciate your time and effort

I was hoping to have my brew rig done this weekend but instead been stuck in bed or on the sofa. Came down with a nasty nasty head cold. So just heads up to cidah and two guns since we spent some time together wed. Hope you guys don't come down with it too.

Nice! I cut out all the front panel and next is the receptacles and all the tapping and hopefully paint during the week!

nvr2low - are you mocking up a stand like the ebrewery one>

post some picks guys! I plan on posting a few to my link, but want to get ahead on the build first . enjoy :D

here is the frame stained black cherry, have to figure out the surfaces and put them on probably tomorrow.

409154_3284989521282_1163967654_33366187_194192797_n.jpg

Looking to brew the celebration clone, but Farmhouse is out of Centennial. Any suggestions on a sub, or should i just seek it out at the LHBS?

Looking to brew the celebration clone, but Farmhouse is out of Centennial. Any suggestions on a sub, or should i just seek it out at the LHBS?

Wish I would have known yesterday when I came to Syracuse, as I have a pound+ and would have left you some.

Some things to consider:
1) The Centennial is used for the dry hop, so you don't have to have it until you are done with your fermentation/primary. This is a bit unusual given Centennial has a high alpha and is pretty darn good as a bittering hop.
2) Since a 11 gallon batch only takes 1 oz Centennial, I would buy at the LHBS if needed.
3) According to BeerSmith, substitutes are: Substitutes: Galena, Eroica, Nugget, Bullion. But, I dunno, I might just use cascade * 2 as a sub for the aroma if needed.

Wish I would have known yesterday when I came to Syracuse, as I have a pound+ and would have left you some.

Some things to consider:
1) The Centennial is used for the dry hop, so you don't have to have it until you are done with your fermentation/primary. This is a bit unusual given Centennial has a high alpha and is pretty darn good as a bittering hop.
2) Since a 11 gallon batch only takes 1 oz Centennial, I would buy at the LHBS if needed.
3) According to BeerSmith, substitutes are: Substitutes: Galena, Eroica, Nugget, Bullion. But, I dunno, I might just use cascade * 2 as a sub for the aroma if needed.

According to Cidah's recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/s...oup-grain-buy-279676/index16.html#post3508134) he uses about 2.5 oz for a 5 gal batch.

I'll prob just hit up Sunset for it, most of their hops are around $1.50 an oz, so it wont be too bad. Reading up sounds like you really dont want to sub it for this type of recipe.

I would say sub cascade, but they are already in there. I would hit the store. There are centenial in that recipe throughout (15 and 0 minute addition). Jeff that is the one you tried at teh grain party :D

22.27 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
44.55 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
24.85 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 40.4 IBU
21.36 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
42.72 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
22.27 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
44.55 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I find it interesting that so many of us are converting to electric and or upgrading.

I took this coming week off so I can make some serious progress on my basement ebrewery. I have a lot to do!

I had my original electric set up for about a year then I wanted to upgrade my control panel. I have made it no secret I love ebrewing (sure the guys on this thread are sick of it!) ha

Enjoy the week, I am sure you are going to crank and get a ton done. Half the fun is the project itself with the ebuilds.

Check a couple shots out I took on my ebuild thread as well. Made a lot of progress this weekend. My control panel is ready for paint!!!

According to Cidah's recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/s...oup-grain-buy-279676/index16.html#post3508134) he uses about 2.5 oz for a 5 gal batch.

I'll prob just hit up Sunset for it, most of their hops are around $1.50 an oz, so it wont be too bad. Reading up sounds like you really dont want to sub it for this type of recipe.

Well then, be that way. :)
Here's the SN Celebration that I made: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sn-celebration-ale-clone-recipe-96551/#post1049493

Cidah should be in possession of one of mine, along with a bottle of the real thing (from Sierra Nevada) to compare.

From a payment perspective I am only waiting on hoptthepot and rustbucket. Will update the front end later .

Thanks all!

Cidah should be in possession of one of mine, along with a bottle of the real thing (from Sierra Nevada) to compare.

Thanks a lot for this (just grabbed from twogunz today!). You are very kind and I always appreciate trying a little home brew!

Not for nothing but if it was me I would get those buckets and gamma seal lids you have into action and do something with those sacks if you plan to store that pallet of grain in your garage.

Finished up the new brew rig today and ran my first batch through it. Worked out well. Dedicated plumbing makes it super easy and saves time, no more lugging 6 gal buckets from the basement for water. Also the concrete board worked well to keep the heat confined.

photo_12_.JPG
photo_11_.JPG
photo_10_.JPG

Finished up the new brew rig today and ran my first batch through it. Worked out well. Dedicated plumbing makes it super easy and saves time, no more lugging 6 gal buckets from the basement for water. Also the concrete board worked well to keep the heat confined.

photo_12_.JPG
photo_11_.JPG
photo_10_.JPG

came out well, going to have to stop over and see it in action when I get back from Yuma!

Jeffb418 - I know you said it is safe and you tested it and the cement board was disbursing heat correctly. But by god please sit with it when you are brewing. I don't want to read your name in the paper. That is unless it is about the awesome brew rig you set up ;)

Like the idea of permanent plumbing - looks good. I plan on doing something similar once I wrap up the 100 other projects I have started simultaneously :cross:

Any steam venting issue during your boil?

copyright - that is quite a selection that you passed over. Thanks so much! I didn't try any yet but I will be sure to do a tasting with yours vs. commercial celebration, and in general enjoy all the brews thoroughly. Do any of them need age? Or are they good to go?

CBK said:
Not for nothing but if it was me I would get those buckets and gamma seal lids you have into action and do something with those sacks if you plan to store that pallet of grain in your garage.

On it! Everything will be in buckets, vacuum sealed (splits), labelled, and moved to the basement by the end of the day!

On it! Everything will be in buckets, vacuum sealed (splits), labelled, and moved to the basement by the end of the day!

:)

No rig progress shots yet? I thought for sure you would have that thing done by day 2 (kidding)

I just primed (last night) and painted (this a.m.) my control box. It is looking pretty sharp! Trying to decide if two coats are necessary.

copyright - that is quite a selection that you passed over. Thanks so much! I didn't try any yet but I will be sure to do a tasting with yours vs. commercial celebration, and in general enjoy all the brews thoroughly. Do any of them need age? Or are they good to go?

They are all from kegs, good to go. I'm curious as to your feedback on them, especially comparing the SN Celebration recipe's (the one you used, the one I used, the commercial). I can't quite remember what I left for you and I have the bad habit of sometimes forgetting to even mark the tops with what is in there. I think it was:
SN C - Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
ESB - Redhook ESB clone
VS - A Vienna SMaSH
... can't remember the rest...if you tell me what was on the cap I will likely remember. :)

I only have a little of the SN Celebration left (clone), it has gone fast (most into my belly). I just started carbonating a Bell's Two Hearted and a Vienna Cherry Wheat (made up the recipe on that one). I have a Mirror Pond (rebrew) in the primary and also a Pilsner Lager (fermentation probably done, but it will need to age for a month or so). So, I've done 5 batches already this year, trying to use that grain!

They are all from kegs, good to go. I'm curious as to your feedback on them, especially comparing the SN Celebration recipe's (the one you used, the one I used, the commercial). I can't quite remember what I left for you and I have the bad habit of sometimes forgetting to even mark the tops with what is in there. I think it was:
SN C - Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
ESB - Redhook ESB clone
VS - A Vienna SMaSH
... can't remember the rest...if you tell me what was on the cap I will likely remember. :)

I only have a little of the SN Celebration left (clone), it has gone fast (most into my belly). I just started carbonating a Bell's Two Hearted and a Vienna Cherry Wheat (made up the recipe on that one). I have a Mirror Pond (rebrew) in the primary and also a Pilsner Lager (fermentation probably done, but it will need to age for a month or so). So, I've done 5 batches already this year, trying to use that grain!

you also gave a real celebration (commercial), one marked (BM) - looks hazy so I am guessing a blue moon clone? There was one other, but I am not recalling. I will check and get back with you on that one before I drink it.

I will be sure to try your brews as the first beer (so I get the right tasting note for you)!

You can't go wrong on the SN brews for a happy clone. I really want to do a double triple or even 4 brewday once I get my new control panel into service (and of course the new 20G Blichmann MT arrives :ban:). I want to do like 3-4 rebrews, plus new stuff!!

Mainly, Denny wry smile, SN Torpode, my samual adams summer ale take and some new hefe's using that new spelter malt. Can't wait!

FWIW - I do the same thing when I bottle, that is why I revert to the keg instead :D

im doing 3 big brews when i get home... (maybe in one day) kate the great, Wee Heavy, and a barleywine maybe this upcoming weekend, or next week one day.

have to kill some grain

then my buddy wants to a brown, and a irish stout

im doing 3 big brews when i get home... (maybe in one day) kate the great, Wee Heavy, and a barleywine maybe this upcoming weekend, or next week one day.

have to kill some grain

then my buddy wants to a brown, and a irish stout

kate the great:
some guys just posted how much port they use in the brew. If you trust my math, you can use what I calculated! - check out the thread before/when you it brew though just in case.

I want to do a wee heavy with the golden promise soon. Man I have all these "to do" brews and no mash tun! haha

Ok, kinda went a little crazy on the grain this round. Planning an APA and hopefully a stout for this Friday. Next week I'd like to get in a wee heavy - anyone have their eye on a good recipe? Looking for a 9% or bigger beer.

Payment Status

FYI - received rust's payment yesterday - thanks!.

Payment due:
Hopthepot - $94.68

Pickup Status

1. Mparsons
2. scallywag
3. hopthepot (pending payment)

Please let me know if what i have show above is incorrect.

Thanks,

No rig progress shots yet? I thought for sure you would have that thing done by day 2 (kidding)

I just primed (last night) and painted (this a.m.) my control box. It is looking pretty sharp! Trying to decide if two coats are necessary.

Apparently I underestimated what time needs to be dedicated to a newborn, :D!

I did make some progress today and I'm going to update my thread. I was able to get the brew stand finished, and the vent hood about 75% complete. Once I have those pieces in place I think I can really start to make some progress!

By the way, you are smoking my on progress. I haven't even begin to look at doing my panel yet. I just updated my thread with a dozen or so photos. I also just subscribed to your thread to keep updated, :mug:!

Grain is moved to the basement, in buckets, inventoried, vacuum sealed, and labelled.

Looks like my basement. I haven't gotten as far along as you. I have the splits temporarily in food-grade buckets with gamma seal lids, and I bought two huge plastic bins, each is holding 3 whole sacks of grain. I also have 5 semi-transparent bins full with grain from the splits from the previous buy.

My plans are to process the splits using my vacuum sealer (similar to what you did), and to then use my buckets + gamma seal to hold most of what is currently in the full sacks. I will likely (over time as it takes forever) but some of the grain from the full sacks and make a bunch of 3-4 # sealed bags (for the grain that will be used later vs. sooner).

Looks like my basement. I haven't gotten as far along as you. I have the splits temporarily in food-grade buckets with gamma seal lids, and I bought two huge plastic bins, each is holding 3 whole sacks of grain. I also have 5 semi-transparent bins full with grain from the splits from the previous buy.

My plans are to process the splits using my vacuum sealer (similar to what you did), and to then use my buckets + gamma seal to hold most of what is currently in the full sacks. I will likely (over time as it takes forever) but some of the grain from the full sacks and make a bunch of 3-4 # sealed bags (for the grain that will be used later vs. sooner).

Ok, here's some pictures of my stash:

grain 4.jpg

grain2.jpg

grain7.jpg

grain 6.jpg

Back