Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped on and added 0.250 of the following splits BZ-SPLT, BD-CHLT, GB-HONY, BZ-SMOK, and GP-FLOAT....I might add a few others to the list here shortly man this is so going to get me into trouble!!!!

I do have a F350 long bed and a trailer available for the kegs if needed?

I recc. finding clever ways to hide your "overstock" from the wife's prying eyes haha.

Nice we are close to closing out all of those!

Damn... we went from "I'd like a bag of malt too" to "show me the money!" in like 8hrs. Ya'll are crazy people. ;)

Um, before I add more bags, a few things. Do we know where this is shipping to - Syracuse proper or somewhere else? Also, what is the tentative time line for this order going out? We talking another week or like a month? When do you need the money in? It will take me time to show my people the catalog, see what they want, and wrestle the checks from them.

This will be either at my house (address I sent for people writing checks) or a location near East Syracuse. i.e. we won't do canandaigua this time around. I will keep you posted.

Time line will be when we get to a combined 126 bags (bags plus chemicals). I was thinking we would let this run 4-6 weeks tops or until we hit pallet #3. All that said... I think we will close this in about 3 weeks. But am willing to play it by ear. By the looks of things we have had quite a wave so we are getting to the third pallet faster than I thought :D - I think you have plenty of time to show it to your guys and get in on the order (I would let them know the whole order of precedence bit as well).

ORDER OF PRECEDENCE
Please note that since the chemicals take up an odd space they may end up accounting for more than one bag in our orders. If that happens we will go by order of precedence for orders placed. i.e. if we have 6 chems and 120 bags and find out we can only have 6 chem and 116 bags, we will deduct the last 4 bags. Or, if the chemical addition was the most recent addition it will get dropped.

Right now we have about 110 bags including chemicals (~16 available bags)

I just added a split of:

GP-FLBLY: (Flaked barley)

I am willing to go up to 1/3 on the bag but put in .25 for now

I closed the SPLT - really looking forward to trying this one (upped my share to .5)

Payment sent via snail mail.

Looks like we might need to increase this order to four pallets! :drunk: Cidah, you'll have to build another garage just to accept all this grain!

Payment sent via snail mail.

Looks like we might need to increase this order to four pallets! :drunk: Cidah, you'll have to build another garage just to accept all this grain!

I know holy cow we are filling this one quick! 4 pallets would = over 8,000 lbs, and would bring us into the next price discount for the grain bags....

Just sayin' :D

112 bags + chem

I know holy cow we are filling this one quick! 4 pallets would = over 8,000 lbs, and would bring us into the next price discount for the grain bags....

Just sayin' :D

112 bags + chem

Where you getting 112? Im at 109.

Also I talked to some of the people that added in on my order, and they are getting a little worried about the buy drawing out too long if we try to go to 4 pallets. They originally jumped on the order under the assumption it was closing in the next few weeks. I don't want to cause issues, just want to voice their concerns.

Jeff

I know you are saying there is a bulk discount at 8000lbs, but we are not ordering 8000lbs of one specific malt. looking at the catalog it looks like the discount is on a specific malt hitting a weight, not the total weight of the order. I could be wrong since this is my first time thinking about participating, how do they actually do the price points?

it will help me figure out my budget....

Where you getting 112? Im at 109.

Also I talked to some of the people that added in on my order, and they are getting a little worried about the buy drawing out too long if we try to go to 4 pallets. They originally jumped on the order under the assumption it was closing in the next few weeks. I don't want to cause issues, just want to voice their concerns.

Jeff

Either way the order will close in the next few weeks (4-6 weeks maximum).

Don't mean to sound harsh but people need to understand that patience is required in these orders because we are using our collective interest to come together and ALL benefit.

If we were to go to 4 pallets we could still set a cut off number for a partial 4th pallet, and a time limit on the order to complete or revert back to 3 pallets.

At this point we aren't there yet.

I know you are saying there is a bulk discount at 8000lbs, but we are not ordering 8000lbs of one specific malt. looking at the catalog it looks like the discount is on a specific malt hitting a weight, not the total weight of the order. I could be wrong since this is my first time thinking about participating, how do they actually do the price points?

it will help me figure out my budget....

our pricing is determined by our gross weight of the grain order (not one type). For now you can rely on the sheet that is posted on post 2 for your estimate pricing. If we truly move up to 8k lbs jeff will adjust the pricing on the buy sheet.

FWIW, the discount is only a penny per lb stepping up into the 8K range. But that can add up.

However there are some shipping cost savings to be had, depending on how we ship. For example if it goes to a residence than we pay an extra 150-200 for call ahead service and a lift gate/ pallet jack on the truck. That cost gets split across the whole order, whether one or 100 pallets.

Jeff, quick question on the kegs...are they ball or pin lock?

thanks again guys, cant wait to get all this grain

Cidah, I probably missed it, and can't find it. But what is your recipient info for an Amazon payment? I'm ready to send payment, :)

our pricing is determined by our gross weight of the grain order (not one type). For now you can rely on the sheet that is posted on post 2 for your estimate pricing. If we truly move up to 8k lbs jeff will adjust the pricing on the buy sheet.

FWIW, the discount is only a penny per lb stepping up into the 8K range. But that can add up.

However there are some shipping cost savings to be had, depending on how we ship. For example if it goes to a residence than we pay an extra 150-200 for call ahead service and a lift gate/ pallet jack on the truck. That cost gets split across the whole order, whether one or 100 pallets.

thanks for the info! wasn't sure how they worked...

Cidah, I probably missed it, and can't find it. But what is your recipient info for an Amazon payment? I'm ready to send payment, :)

[email protected]

nvr2low - no sweat and good to have you along. Let us know if you have any additional questions. First look at the buy sheet is a bit daunting but I am sure you will be used to it in no time at all.

Payment sent. Since I used my Chase Freedom I wonder if this will show up as a Amazon.com purchase. If so, that means 5% cash back, :rockin:!

Just received it - and thanks!

Will update the sheet on post 2 for deposits

FYI-

I have received about $600 in payments through amazon so far. I can only take $1000 per month without fees, so keep that in mind. If you are considering using amazon you have to make it before I hit $1000.

Thanks all

No need she is good with everything I do! I have a great wife who fully supports my brewing habits, and spending needs! I am very lucky!

I am fortunate in this way too. Last weekend I actually got into an argument with my wife. I was like what is this about. She told me it wasn't fair that I hadn't let her do a brew on her own from start to finish yet. haha

I mean she never even asked, but I guess this is the part where I am supposed to be a mind reader :D She picked a brew (belgian specialty ale) and we have it on the calendar. My buddies wife loves the brew but doesn't like giving him up for the time to brew it. I would say I have it pretty good.

holy crap.. all i have to say...................................... at this rate, might be looking at 4 pallets.... we just started feb..... and we are on 3 in two months.

grabbed another bag of 2row

Total im seeing is 111 total bags

Cidah, this will be it for me. Any way I could square up for my remaining total via Amazon? According to the current sheet I'll owe 53.13 additional and if possible I'd like to keep it electronic for payment, so that's why I ask. If not, no problem.

Thanks
Ryan

copyright1997 said:
Thanks! I guess I can't start the "semi, semi, semi" chant? But could try the "8000, 8000, 8000" one as we are closing in on 6k pounds. :)

Also, I noticed you just did a SNPA. Have you ever tried Mirror Pond?

Cidah, I will be sending a check by snail mail to give your Amazon account a rest.

I haven't updated my sig in quite awhile. I used SNPA as a base for my house ale. It's changed quite a bit since.
Haven't done the mirror pond yet. Got a batch of lake walk pale getting kegged tonight.

Cidah, this will be it for me. Any way I could square up for my remaining total via Amazon? According to the current sheet I'll owe 53.13 additional and if possible I'd like to keep it electronic for payment, so that's why I ask. If not, no problem.

Thanks
Ryan

Since the estimate on the sheet could change, and will slightly, due to final charges for shipping (gas surcharge and etc). You are prob better off waiting til the order goes in before sending another payment. Otherwise you'll be doing it 3 times instead of 2. But its upto cidah how he wants to handle it.

Thanks
Ryan

Sure no problem - so now my amazon will be ~650. I have no problem going up to $1000 with the amazon, just want people to keep in mind I can only take $1000 there per mo and the rest will have to be checks.

It is OK to send because I would prefer to have more $$ upfront and less money changing hands at the end of the order. For example if you owe $50-100 at the end of the order, I will probably ask you to write a check. If you owe 5-20$, I will ask you to paypal me because they won't be concerned over such a small amount.

for back story - paypal gets pissy when we do the buys because they don't get a cut out of the large $$ transferring between us. Even though we aren't violating their terms and conditions.

I show 113 + 4 chem. Nice! Looks like we need 9 bags

ah got it. Gotta love paypal.

ill send my 53.13 remaining balance(157.18 -104.05) in a little bit.

Thanks
Ryan

Sent the rest of you guys the address info.

BTW: Jeff changed how he did his sheet on me! Ha Looks like we are at:

113 Bags total with chem included. (13 bags to go!)

Back