Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strecker - good to have you along.

I would say the flavor is negligible. Sometimes NCM is out of GW2row so we have to substitute with CM 2row.

Truthfully the only reason I now alwys buy CM2row is that it comes in a 55lb bag and I have had really good results with it.

If you have more questions let us know

awesome thank you, you guys are tempting me with this 3rd pallet now i might have to stock up even further. I have had good luck simply storing unmilled grain in rubbermaid containers, is this what most people do? How long have you guys been able to store the stuff? (keeping it cool and dry in a basement, of course)

Haha indeed! I would say that after this one closes up it will be 2-3 months before we do another buy. So if you plan on brewing a lot you may want to grab a bag or two ;);)

2-3 months? I bet it will be more like 2-3 WEEKS! Some of you guys are out of control ! :drunk:

CidahMastah said:
THIRD PALLET

I am thinking we should shoot for a third pallet. when we get to two pallets we should:
1. take a snap shot of the amounts and who has them.
2. keep the buy moving forward and we can continue on with the buy until it a. fizzles out, or until a set date.

Last time I think I calculated that just over half a pallet made sense with shipping. That would mean we would shoot for a minimum of 109 out of 126 bags to close 3 pallets. Truthfully it looks like we are getting widespread interest that could push us to fill 3 pallets, which would probably lead to our cheapest shipping rate since I started up these buys!! :D

I can play with the numbers and let people know what I think makes sense (filling half a pallet etc.)

Sounds good?

I mean if bierhaus thinks he can get 10 and we get another couple waves of buys I think that we can not only step up into the cheaper prices for the grain, but get a really good deal on shipping.

In short, the more we get coming at us the better the price shipping per bag will be, and the price per lb for the grain.

KEEP THE GRAIN COMING GUYS

smashing throw those splits up if you want - let's go for the long haul on this one.

A 3rd pallet will give me a little more time to convince SWMBO that I really do need this grain.

Strecker25 said:
awesome thank you, you guys are tempting me with this 3rd pallet now i might have to stock up even further. I have had good luck simply storing unmilled grain in rubbermaid containers, is this what most people do? How long have you guys been able to store the stuff? (keeping it cool and dry in a basement, of course)

I keep mine in a rubbermaid tote in my basement too. I started brewing AG about a year and a half ago. Then I lost my brewing space. Now that I bought a house, I'm doing AG again and I'm getting great flavor and 75%+ efficiency from that first grain I bought long ago.

Sorry to those who were just editing the sheet. I added more cols to handle more buyers if we have to. Should be good to go, let me know if you see anything weird with anything you add.

Jeff

While I've ordered 5+ sacks, I'm in no immediate hurry to "get delivery". It's not the money, but rather driving my butt out to Syracuse (or wherever) and back. (Now, when I use up the last 30 or so pounds of 2-row I have, my attitude might change! Note to self: brew mostly using Munich, Vienna, Pilsen, MO, wheat.) Now I certainly understand that others may be more anxious, so whatever happens happens.

I would also like to propose some "donation" splits. The idea would be to create some entries in the order that we could sign up for but that would be destined to the folks having to manage the order, take delivery of the grains (and physically move all the sacks to count and verify them), and who did the awesome google docs spreadsheet. For example, let's say there is one for CM-2ROW or TF-MOPA or whatever, I could sign up for .25 sack (for example), which would be charged to me but would go to the folks mentioned above. I realize that this is one of many ways this could be handled, I just don't want this to be lost in the shuffle.

Note that I am in no way trying to pressure anyone to participate in this (other than myself).

Wow! This thread has been really moving along lately! Glad your pushing for three pallets. I need to order some stuff do I'll get it figured out and post later!

As far as the kegs go I haven't talked to the owner yet. He has been out of state but I will get some solid answers ASAP! As I said before if he's not willing to be halfway decent and work with us on price I'm gonna kill it. Did anyone else find any other sources?

hey guys I want to add another bag of rye to the split so I added a line in the split section but when I put in the quantity my price doesn't update. I'm not sure where the total bag price / split calculation is done?

I closed a couple splits, and added another couple bags. Found a great deal on gamma lids and buckets so they need to be filled, :).

82 BAGS!

hey guys I want to add another bag of rye to the split so I added a line in the split section but when I put in the quantity my price doesn't update. I'm not sure where the total bag price / split calculation is done?

I have to manually add the price for new splits. So add the split then later I will update the pricing. I get email updates when anything changes so I'll see when you add it.

THIRD PALLET

I am thinking we should shoot for a third pallet. when we get to two pallets we should:
1. take a snap shot of the amounts and who has them.
2. keep the buy moving forward and we can continue on with the buy until it a. fizzles out, or until a set date.

Last time I think I calculated that just over half a pallet made sense with shipping. That would mean we would shoot for a minimum of 109 out of 126 bags to close 3 pallets. Truthfully it looks like we are getting widespread interest that could push us to fill 3 pallets, which would probably lead to our cheapest shipping rate since I started up these buys!! :D

I can play with the numbers and let people know what I think makes sense (filling half a pallet etc.)

Sounds good?

I mean if bierhaus thinks he can get 10 and we get another couple waves of buys I think that we can not only step up into the cheaper prices for the grain, but get a really good deal on shipping.

In short, the more we get coming at us the better the price shipping per bag will be, and the price per lb for the grain.

KEEP THE GRAIN COMING GUYS

smashing throw those splits up if you want - let's go for the long haul on this one.

A locked copy of the order sheet has been made at 82 bags.

A non-editable copy is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvGGgq4iC1v4dE1CUmtWQnc3czF1Ym8xVEQyVkFxclE

Continue to add to the original sheet listed on the first page, but if we fail to make it to the 3 pallet limit this page will be our fall back. If we have to fall back to this, we will also make it editable at that time.

Jeff B

I would also like to propose some "donation" splits. The idea would be to create some entries in the order that we could sign up for but that would be destined to the folks having to manage the order, take delivery of the grains (and physically move all the sacks to count and verify them), and who did the awesome google docs spreadsheet. For example, let's say there is one for CM-2ROW or TF-MOPA or whatever, I could sign up for .25 sack (for example), which would be charged to me but would go to the folks mentioned above. I realize that this is one of many ways this could be handled, I just don't want this to be lost in the shuffle.

I'm all for this. I appreciate the efforts from the organziers, :)!

I have stored grain for over a year with no ill affects. I do know I brew a heck of a lot more having a good cache in reserve! Be tempted... be VERY tempted! ha

i just ordered 4 bags of 2 row so excited lets fill this order up and start brewing

2-3 months? I bet it will be more like 2-3 WEEKS! Some of you guys are out of control ! :drunk:

you are probably right!

Copyright - meant to say - I really like BD-MOPA and tried TF-MOPA and was waiting to try my guinness clone to see if I noticed a difference. I will probably get either two bags of BD or two bags of TF if I like one better than the other.

Note that I am in no way trying to pressure anyone to participate in this (other than myself).

Ha - you will NEVER get an argument from me on this one! And thanks for the thought all the same.

A locked copy of the order sheet has been made at 82 bags.

A non-editable copy is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvGGgq4iC1v4dE1CUmtWQnc3czF1Ym8xVEQyVkFxclE

Continue to add to the original sheet listed on the first page, but if we fail to make it to the 3 pallet limit this page will be our fall back. If we have to fall back to this, we will also make it editable at that time.

Jeff B

The way things are rolling I think we will be able to really crank out at least to 109 bags, if not an entire 3rd pallet. Thanks for saving that off at 82.

You guys are rocking with the additions!!!! Keep em' coming New guys feel free to utilize the splits. I know the first thing that just about every new buyer says when they get the first order of grain is "I should have gotten in on the specialty splits".

Now that this is going for the long-"er" haul.... I will add back on my spelt split

Whew - I feel the surge from you guys!

So I added in a new split: BZ‐SPLT

I have never tried this but it sounds really interesting and would like to make a dynamite saison using it as well as spruce up my hefe/dunkel etc. brews. It is a new product in the BZ lineup.

86+2 chem

You guys are tearing it up! Most of the splits have been taken up - feel free to post more

Ha - you will NEVER get an argument from me on this one! And thanks for the thought all the same.

I'll take some time tonight to figure out a way to integrate something like this into the sheet.

Also updated pricing on your split you added Cidah, also added back my split of Flaked Oats. I pulled it off last night since we were close to the limit of 2 pallets. But now since we are still going, its back.

Jeff B

Whew - I feel the surge from you guys!

So I added in a new split: BZ‐SPLT

I have never tried this but it sounds really interesting and would like to make a dynamite saison using it as well as spruce up my hefe/dunkel etc. brews. It is a new product in the BZ lineup.

I jumped on this as well. I've used Spelt in bread making, time to try it in a brew. (It is "expensive" (compared to other base grains), but worth while trying.)

I jumped on this as well. I've used Spelt in bread making, time to try it in a brew. (It is "expensive" (compared to other base grains), but worth while trying.)

Yeah probably because it is new and they don't know if it is a winner or not :D

I just added a split for BZ-SMOK. Here's what the catalog says:
Best Smoked Malt. This malt that has been smoked over Beech wood, Best Smoked Malt will deliver the typical “Bamberg” smoked beer flavor made famous by breweries Schlenkerla and Spezial.

Here's a wikipedia writeup on smoked beers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_beer

I signed up for a quarter split...any other takers out there?

I just added a split for BZ-SMOK. Here's what the catalog says:

Here's a wikipedia writeup on smoked beers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_beer

I signed up for a quarter split...any other takers out there?

Pricing updated for new split.

Also I am going to add more spaces for additional splits tonight. It takes a bit to get the formulas updated so I'll need a little bit of time. So prob during that time I'll lock the sheet to any editing. So if we fill up the available spots today, just wait until tomorrow.

Jeff B

holy poo poo, i dont pay attention to this for a few days, and it goes crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i might have to jump on more stuff soon!

Cidah,

This a good time to request deposits? Could use the locked down 2-pallet sheet as a good reference point. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...E1CUmtWQnc3czF1Ym8xVEQyVkFxclE&hl=en_US#gid=0). I also updated the formulas on this locked sheet to only include closed splits into the estimated cost per person.

Gonna be alot of cash to move.

Jeff

I was thinking the same thing. I don't anticipate adding anything else to my order, so I'd be happy to send a check for the full amount immediately. Or whatever works for you.

Cidah,

This a good time to request deposits? Could use the locked down 2-pallet sheet as a good reference point. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...E1CUmtWQnc3czF1Ym8xVEQyVkFxclE&hl=en_US#gid=0). I also updated the formulas on this locked sheet to only include closed splits into the estimated cost per person.

Gonna be alot of cash to move.

Jeff

How do people feel about this?

If we go by this strategy my thought would be to cut a check for the full amount per person as listed on the 2 pallet order estimates instead of 80% since people will likely add a bag or a split as we wait to close out the third pallet.

**I will deposit checks and hold until we get to the 3rd pallet shored up**

1. If the amount is over in $$ (more than the estimated cost) when we get actual pricing I will hit people with paypal for the nominal difference.

2. If the amount is under in pricing (estimated cost is too low) people can hit me with paypal for the difference since the dollar amount will likely be small.

3. If you add to your order after the fact it will just mean you cut a second check for the price of your items when we get actual pricing (closure of 3rd pallet).

Does that work for people?

BTW: I think I have about 15-20 or so bags that will be coming in based on what Bierhaus was saying and PMs from some other people. Not sure when they will come in, but I think we will be well on our way to that third pallet.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't anticipate adding anything else to my order, so I'd be happy to send a check for the full amount immediately. Or whatever works for you.

Funny you said that - see my post. :D

Why don't we say that people start sending me checks for your estimated order amount. If you need my address, etc. please let me know and I will PM it to you.

if you want tofeel free to send your full estimated amount. I am very confident we will hit at least 2.5 pallets. No matter how we work it out I will ensure money ends of this will be worked out.

Thanks!

So in short:

1. You owe:
a. via check to me the amount in red
b. you may send the full estimated amount, which includes the pending pallet 3, (the price in black lettering).

2. Please let me know if you need my address and I will PM it to you.

3. Please make every effort to send me a check within the next 1-2 weeks.

4. Green name = paid - man cidahmastah is a super fast payer!

Red lettering = amount for 2 Pallet order only
Black lettering = Assumed 3 Pallet order (or at least 109 bags)
Green lettering = PAID

CidahMastah| $393.76---- $368.30
mparsons327| $85.52---- $85.52
JeffB418| $828.75---- $785.86
Smashing| $134.71---- $122.76
Rustbucket| $119.29---- $108.66
copyright1997| $257.74---- $217.85
zeno27| $208.73---- $208.73
CBK| $191.78---- $179.83
FL_Brewer| $84.86---- $84.86
drocu| $90.21---- $78.26
hopthepot| $101.10---- $101.10
brewscampbell| $278.55---- $278.55
TravisC| $112.50---- $112.50
Jbsengineer| $349.95---- $273.32
Scallywag| $218.20---- $219.20
snooky| $135.05---- $135.05
bierhaus| $96.70---- $96.70
strecker25| $104.05---- $104.05
abrew2u| $138.40---- $-

87 + 2 Chem = 89 bags Total

Funny you said that - see my post. :D

Why don't we say that people start sending me checks for your estimated order amount. If you need my address, etc. please let me know and I will PM it to you.

if you want tofeel free to send your full estimated amount. I am very confident we will hit at least 2.5 pallets. No matter how we work it out I will ensure money ends of this will be worked out.

Thanks!

Sounds good to me! The estimates on my sheet 'should' be correct, but they could be off. Wouldn't hurt to double check it before sending your payment to cidah, but if its off it will be fixed when the final order comes in. All bags/chems estimate a $6 shipping fee, so use that in your estimates to compare.

Locked 2 pallet sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...E1CUmtWQnc3czF1Ym8xVEQyVkFxclE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Jeff B

So in short:

1. You owe:
b. you may send the full estimated amount, which includes the pending pallet 3, (the price in black lettering).

Green lettering = PAID

CBK| $191.78---- $179.83
drocu| $90.21---- $78.26
abrew2u| $138.40---- $-

Could you double check my amount? I believe I had "locked" in before the 3rd pallet was added.

So in short:

1. You owe:

Green lettering = PAID

CBK| $191.78---- $179.83
drocu| $90.21---- $78.26
abrew2u| $138.40---- $-

Check for $828.75 sent.

Jeff B

HEADS UP GUYS

I posted that Deposit Request listing under post 2. I will keep it updated there so it is easy to find.

Jbs, where's the deal. I love those gamma seal lids.

Sorry, it cannot be had any longer. Found a LOT of 30 used buckets and lids down in NJ (I travel often) on craigslist. All for $120! All in excellent shape!

However, in my research before I found the Craigslist deal I found $7 shipped via this site: BePrepared

Good luck. If anyone has a better link or deal on buckets I have a couple friends interested. I'm all ears!

jbsengineer; sounds like you need to order some more grain to fill all those buckets up :D

Cidah, still accepting payments through amazon ? If so, let me know your email address and ill get it over.

thanks!

Cidah, still accepting payments through amazon ? If so, let me know your email address and ill get it over.

thanks!

The last time I used this was a while ago - let me get back to you with the how to, because I forget how this works.

Latest posts

Back