Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, was just gonna jump on that Golden split. I could go up to .5 if anyone wants to jump in. Go ahead and add it and us if anyone wants in. I'm on my phone until late tonight and am having trouble doing it.

I'll jump on a whole bag for myself if you and Jbsengineer want to take over that split 50/50. Currently he just wants 1/4.

Damn, was just gonna jump on that Golden split. I could go up to .5 if anyone wants to jump in. Go ahead and add it and us if anyone wants in. I'm on my phone until late tonight and am having trouble doing it.

I will give you my .5 split and take a full bag

If you need to close it, I would be willing to jump to .50. Just let me know. Maybe someone will help that flaked barley split, :)...

I am half thinking about snarfing up that other .25 or the honey split for a .5 share....

PENDING SPLITS
GB-HONY 0.75
BD-CHLT 0.50
GP-FLBLY 0.50
BZ-CRPL 0.33
GO-FLWHT 0.50

jbsengineer - I switched it already so I have a full bag for the GP (you can stay at .25 if you want and all bags are closed). Did you prefer to have .5 on the split?

+1 on the flaked barley... come on gents! :D

i say we go for 4 pallets!!!!!!!!! end this in march!

Haha!

I wouldn't mind doing that, only issue being... do we have enough interest? I am guessing that we only have interest for maybe 15-20 bags more at most (unless there are lurking brewers who are waiting to jump in on this). I think bierhaus was guessing 10 bags ish from the utica brew club and I know of two more guys who were asking me about the buy. Unless those two guys are crazy like some of us and plan on buying 10 bags to get through the spring/summer :D

If my intel told me otherwise and people were ok with holding the order until the end of Feb we could do that. I do think a lot of folks are chomping at the bit to get their grain though!

From my perspective I don't mind having to do several pallets less frequently. I would like to reduce the # of times I have to do it at my house because it was driving my wife crazy that we had to stick around the house all weekend, etc. waiting for people to pick up. I am hoping that we can get a couple folks to step up so we can rotate the delivery location. Or even better find a business delivery location and get discounted freight charges and ease of unloading. I don't mind going to the location and helping with the counts and distribution at all. As you guys said, 4 pallets would be a lot for my garage :)

Haha!

I wouldn't mind doing that, only issue being... do we have enough interest? I am guessing that we only have interest for maybe 15-20 bags more at most (unless there are lurking brewers who are waiting to jump in on this). I think bierhaus was guessing 10 bags ish from the utica brew club and I know of two more guys who were asking me about the buy. Unless those two guys are crazy like some of us and plan on buying 10 bags to get through the spring/summer :D

If my intel told me otherwise and people were ok with holding the order until the end of Feb we could do that. I do think a lot of folks are chomping at the bit to get their grain though!

From my perspective I don't mind having to do several pallets less frequently. I would like to reduce the # of times I have to do it at my house because it was driving my wife crazy that we had to stick around the house all weekend, etc. waiting for people to pick up. I am hoping that we can get a couple folks to step up so we can rotate the delivery location. Or even better find a business delivery location and get discounted freight charges and ease of unloading. I don't mind going to the location and helping with the counts and distribution at all. As you guys said, 4 pallets would be a lot for my garage :)

I think 3 pallets is going to be our sweet spot on this order. Plus the longer it goes on the more chance I buy more... which i really shouldn't. HaHa! I think it would be nice to get this grain in house. All these new types of grain have me thinking up some new ideas for recipes! But anything works for me.

I know a couple people who might be interested. I personally am
In no hurry so I don't mind waiting.

CidahMastah said:
Just received it - and thanks!

Will update the sheet on post 2 for deposits

FYI-

I have received about $600 in payments through amazon so far. I can only take $1000 per month without fees, so keep that in mind. If you are considering using amazon you have to make it before I hit $1000.

Thanks all

I'm all done with my order. Do you have room left under your amazon limit for me to pay in full?

i would also love to get the grain in, so I dont have to keep wasting money at the lhbs and small online orders. I am a newcomer though so i pull no weight, whatever works for everyone else is fine.

side note...are the kegs on the keg request sheet ball or pin lock?

i would also love to get the grain in, so I dont have to keep wasting money at the lhbs and small online orders. I am a newcomer though so i pull no weight, whatever works for everyone else is fine.

side note...are the kegs on the keg request sheet ball or pin lock?

IIRC, (and I hope I do..otherwise the pricing needs to be adjusted)..they are ball lock. Pin lock wouldn't be as useful (for me anyway).

Added 2 new splits Split 31 and 32. I think we can close these right out.

westo - you should be good to go for AMAZON.

that puts me up around $900 so unless a small amount amazon is out

i received two payment 1 from zeno ane one for 191.78... now to match that with the hbt handle :D

CBK was the check for 191 you?

Added 2 new splits Split 31 and 32. I think we can close these right out.

You didn't have to do that for me. Cidah is the one that deserves it!

But I really do appreciate it :mug:

I also changed the options for these two splits as well. 0.05, 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, or 0.25.

Jeff =)

Yeah I tried .200 but would not work Will change thank you . This will leave room for more people.

Yeah I tried .200 but would not work Will change thank you . This will leave room for more people.

Thanks for that CBK! Much appreciated

Maybe what we can do is as the amount of shares goes to whatever, just apply that against one of my full bags. Either way I really appreciate it (so will my back when I do a 3 pallet order check ha!) As justin knows from the last buy - you gotta lift all the bags once to check the order! :D

Jeff - your spread sheet saved me a lot of grief - so that is worth something!

Thanks for that CBK! Much appreciated

Maybe what we can do is as the amount of shares goes to whatever, just apply that against one of my full bags.

Jeff - your spread sheet saved me a lot of grief - so that is worth something!

No problem! Happy I could make it easier for you. The only way with this many people would have been a NIGHTMARE!

Also I updated the sheet. You guys are welcome to donate on splits 31 and 32. These 2 lines don't affect the bag total regardless of the total (even if it goes over 1). These lines are your way to say thanks to Cidah. These lines assume the price of a sack of CM-2ROW to give you an idea of the donation amount in $s, plus its the cheapest item =).

We can apply the donation to my 2row. For me I will just use 2row because it is the cheapest item, and the thought from you gents is more important than putting up my most expensive bag of base malt. Why should you guys have to pay for me being fancy! :D

We can apply the donation to my 2row. For me I will just use 2row because it is the cheapest item, and the thought from you gents is more important than putting up my most expensive bag of base malt. Why should you guys have to pay for me being fancy! :D

Agree. The sheet is now updated to handle the donations automatically for those two lines in the splits section. So if you want to donate, enter an amount under your col and it will be applied to your order total cost estimate. Available entries are 0.05, 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, and 0.25 so you can donate just a little if you want or more. Simple and easy :ban:

i received two payment 1 from zeno ane one for 191.78... now to match that with the hbt handle :D

Cidah

Sent you my payment of $250, I bit more than I owe put please use it as needed for what ever! Thanks for making this happen.

Paul

That was me. Sorry forgot to include my username

So, do we have the biggest group buy in this forum's history? There a limit that NCM lets us order or they don't care? Just wondering.

That was me. Sorry forgot to include my username

Ha- remembering your real name is pretty big - I am terrible at names;)

got you down.

jeff NCM delivers to companies for the most part... the sky is the limit :)

I think some groups have done 6 pallets actually... we can dream

OK guys looks like we are at 120 bags so only 6 to go.

Bierhaus (and others) - Here is my line of thought:
1. I think the sweet spot for making another pallet (partially filled) make sense is about 25 bags.
2. People want the grain order to close relatively sooner than later.

Once we get to 126 bags let's put a 5-7 days beyond that where people can still add to the order in effort to reach 25 bags on the 4th pallet. If we get there, great we will do a partial, if not we close the order and people are de-obligated from the bags they ordered. If they want they can leave them on for the next buy (probably 2+ months or so).

Is that a fair compromise to everyone?

If these 6 bags linger on for 2 weeks than we can forgo the above. I just want to give a chance to the Utica club guys to put a big buy in like they have in the past. If Bierhaus is doing the leg work then I want to ensure it isn't for nothing. Bierhaus feel free to chime in on this - not sure if you have gotten feedback on what numbers you might be hauling in from the brew club.

Having a partial pallet might actually work out in our favor because I think last time they ended up making us drop 2 bags per star san and 1 per PBW (right now we are estimating those at a 1for 1 exchange). Either way having a partial pallet we would guarantee people would get what they actually ordered.

OK guys looks like we are at 120 bags so only 6 to go.

Bierhaus (and others) - Here is my line of thought:
1. I think the sweet spot for making another pallet (partially filled) make sense is about 25 bags.
2. People want the grain order to close relatively sooner than later.

Once we get to 126 bags let's put a 5-7 days beyond that where people can still add to the order in effort to reach 25 bags on the 4th pallet. If we get there, great we will do a partial, if not we close the order and people are de-obligated from the bags they ordered. If they want they can leave them on for the next buy (probably 2+ months or so).

Is that a fair compromise to everyone?

If these 6 bags linger on for 2 weeks than we can forgo the above. I just want to give a chance to the Utica club guys to put a big buy in like they have in the past. If Bierhaus is doing the leg work then I want to ensure it isn't for nothing. Bierhaus feel free to chime in on this - not sure if you have gotten feedback on what numbers you might be hauling in from the brew club.

That sounds good to me. I'll make a copy of the sheet when we get to 126 and do the same thing we did with this one.

worgany - just snatched up a nice big heat sink (10x7x2) for about 38 bucks on ebay!! I have almost all the hardware I need to actually commit to building the upgrade and cannibalizing my current rig :D

I will have to cut the heat sink to fit on the enclosure, but it is a steal price wise.

Order Wrap up attempt

Ok so I just chatted with bierhaus and he may have 15ish bags coming from the utica brew club. If any of you guys have friends who might be interested in the buy let them know ASAP so we can get the couple extra bags onto a 4th pallet to make it worth a partial.

My goal is to have the order closed is in no more than 2 weeks or three pallets + 24 bags (150 bags); whichever comes first. Let's shoot for 1 week and 150 bags!! Do your worst!

If we get 150bags we should be pushed into the 8000lbs pricing bracket (reduced per lb price of grain)

Added grain weight total in cell B4. This total accounts only closed splits and full bags of grain (no chemicals).

Also found an error with my weight calculations(was adding an extra pound to each bag in the splits section). Looks like we need at least another 26 55# bags to break 8000. So target is actually 152.

So order up! I'm stocking up on this buy myself. I figure the grain is pretty fresh coming out of the warehouse since they move so much. So you are good to sit on a bag for at-least a year. Also I store my grain in space-saver bags that I can use a shop vac to vacuum seal, so I figure I'm good upto 2 years if I really had to. So stock up, never know when the next buy might occur.

So stock up, never know when the next buy might occur.

To this point my hope is to not tackle another grain buy until mid to late summer. I have to take a day off work to receive these at my house so, no offense guys, but don't want to burn up several vacation days on grain buys like I did last year.

Thanks for giving us the weight update Jeff. Basically once we hit 8000 lbs the last pallet's shipping pays for itself with the reduction in price/lb in grain.

jbsengineer - I would be willing to go .5 on the flaked barley if you are interested. If you prefer to wait a bit we can do that too. I was thinking that if we need a bag, I would be willing to bump that one up.

Hopefully someone jumps on the buy otherwise and starts a surge up again :D

To this point my hope is to not tackle another grain buy until mid to late summer. I have to take a day off work to receive these at my house so, no offense guys, but don't want to burn up several vacation days on grain buys like I did last year.

Thanks for giving us the weight update Jeff. Basically once we hit 8000 lbs the last pallet's shipping pays for itself with the reduction in price/lb in grain.

jbsengineer - I would be willing to go .5 on the flaked barley if you are interested. If you prefer to wait a bit we can do that too. I was thinking that if we need a bag, I would be willing to bump that one up.

People who are driving from Buffalo, Watertown, Albany, and Rochester. Definitely consider picking up enough for awhile, esp since you guys have to drive a good distance. Plus gas prices are supposed to peak pretty bad this summer, so factor that in as well. Both on the cost of grains, delivery, and your driving costs. Just saying, could be the cheapest grain we get for a long time.

Let's do it! .50 is good with me.

Let's do it! .50 is good with me.

Nice and done! 121 bags!

Shipping primer:

Don't quote me on this, but I think our shipping costs to a residence for 4 pallets will be something like $600-$650max. If I am able to get a business to deliver to that would be less $165 ($435-$485). Either way the shipping cost per bag should be much less than $6, unless I have calculated horribly wrong. Note* we purposely shoot high on the shipping estimate because there can be fuel surcharges, etc. (as there have been in the past). I would rather wow you with a smaller actual cost than surprise you with a larger cost than you expected.

If we get 8000lbs we would save about $80 or more collectively on grain cost ($0.01 x 8000= $80.00)

So all told shipping s/b no more than $4.27 per bag[high side of things *residential delivery*] $2.86 per bag[low side of things *commercial delivery*] if we get 152 bags. That doesn't include the modest decrease in the price per lb for your grain.

In short this should be the cheapest per lb price on grain since I started up the Syracuse NY buys

Back