Synek - warniing - beware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolomo

Reaction score
So, I've been keeping my opinions in tact for the past 3 Months (2+ years actually). But, I've pretty much had it with the Synek.

I was an early adopter. I have a nice tap handle and a shirt and a bunch of their so-called hi-tech bags. I even have the machine (finally arrived last October).

Came with a bad regulator, and I'm still waiting.
And I have learned that I'm not the only person.
I've also heard their bags are not reliable and burst.

So BEFORE YOU BUY, check out their own facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SynekDraftSystem/posts_to_page/

NOW, I'm not new to early adoption. I bought in knowing that they could have problems. I like the concept and all along they have been communicative to the us. BUT, now they don't reply to emails.

It took them 3 weeks in November to agree that the regulator was bad because they don't respond to emails and there is no direct contact. Everything goes to a single email account and it appears that the poor people trying to support the customers are overwhelmed with issues.

Finally, over the last week of November they said they would send me a regulator. Two weeks later, I get more bags, but no regulator. Another email to Bannanas and a week later they tell me the regulator is out of stock (that should tell you something). They said by the end of December, a unit would be sent.

First week in January, another email. A week later they respond and they nice person (Salby) tells me on email that there was no excuse for this. But, there is no answer. No date for the regulator. No promise to ship.
A week later, another email - NO REPONSE.
A week later, another email - and still NO REPONSE.

Kills me that they raise 3x what they were requesting on Kickstarter and they are this flat on their butts.

So - I'm waiting.

I just don't want anyone else to be lured into this. Stay away, at least until they get their customer service back in tact and probably until their QC on the product gets better.

And for sure, IF I ever get that regulator, I'll update this post to let you know.

RMOSIER
(oh, and don't even ask me about the brewery kit that was promised!)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, got a message from Synek. Maybe there is hope.

This unit was definitely different that the original regulator.
The knob turned much further.
Interesting that the regulator looks older than the one I received. It had a lot of scratches on the knob.

But, hey, it works and it sits inside the unit and I can now pressurize the bags.

Still waiting for the extra bags and the fill kit promised way back during the kickstarter campaign. But for now, I have a few bags and will fill with one of my brews this weekend using my beer gun.

Will update later on the whole unit operation.

Uh, what/who are Synek and what are these "bags" you're referring to? Not everyone knows who they are and what they sell, and time is precious in life so I won't be checking out their FB page nor Googling them. Judging by the fact this thread is just your posts I'm guessing others are like ?????? - so please don't take my post offensively.

Rev.

I can't imagine Synek has not responded to you - especially to provide you with a new regulator - I'd assumed that there were no more regulator issues as mine works perfectly.

I'm also an early backer and they've been up-front about the problems. Could the launch have gone more smoothly? Yup! But, everyone knows it's the pioneers who take the arrows - all hurt bad, some are fatal.

There was a manufacturing problem with the cartridge/bag - and a very small "beer mist" type of leak at the cap/bag interface on 3 bags out of 10 occurred. Was it bc I filled directly from a keg adapter and applied too much gas too quickly? Probably. But, Synek has been the epitome of responsive as they could have been to fix and address these issues. There's a new, better bag coming out, so this problem will go away.

Positives:
1. My wife loves 'the look' of the Synek machine! This is HUGE!
2. The refrigerator and its controller is amazingly quiet - like white noise when its running - and it regulates temp very well.
3. The tap spout is the best I've used - side shutoff valve allows for zero drips - so no dead beer stink in kitchen!
4. My first CO2 cylinder has pushed 20+ gallons of beer and is still going! I adjust my regulator up just prior to pouring - open tap handle first, open side shutoff valve, fill to @3/4, turn regulator back to min while continue to pour, close side shutoff and allow tap to drain last delicious drops and finally shut tap. Saves CO2, minimizes stress on bags, but more importantly, perfect pour everytime!
5. The Synek folks are on a mission - they could've quit at anytime and said this is just too hard or whatever. I don't think they're gonna quit until every customer and backer is happy.

I wish you well with your regulator issues - I'll contact my Synek staffer and ask about it. Please let us know when you're upNrunning.

Thanks for the input. Nice to hear a positive story.

I am up and running.

And, y are right, they have been very communicative about everything, right up until the WDC launch event, which was cancelled and then somehow still went on. I was supposed to pick my unit up at this event last summer. Instead, it was shipped in late October. Not much comms until I got the email that it was shipping. When it arrived, I assembled it right away, and found that it didn't work. Three weeks later (mid-November) and only two email exchanges and they said I had a defective reg. (I new this on day one). 2 more months later it arrives and only because Steve himself saw my pleadings for help. He turned everything around in a week.

Struggles of a new company? I hope so. I like the concept and it will make a big change for those like us that enjoy the convenience.

Uh, what/who are Synek and what are these "bags" you're referring to? Not everyone knows who they are and what they sell, and time is precious in life so I won't be checking out their FB page nor Googling them. Judging by the fact this thread is just your posts I'm guessing others are like ?????? - so please don't take my post offensively.

Rev.
I suppose my time isn't all that precious so I googled it because I was curious.
Synek is a table top beer dispenser that holds 128 oz of beer in disposable bags and uses a refillable 20 0z Co2 bottle. Costs $329.
Not buying one right now.

I suppose my time isn't all that precious so I googled it because I was curious.

Yeah I Googled it today too after seeing the post update, had some time at work to take a look at it. Since I keg and have a kegerator it's not something I need, but I got to see what the product was about. Still seems a bit odd.

Rev.

Back