SWMBO just found a dog with a note on his collar "this is a good dog, take care"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my pet peeves is people dropping there animals off out in the country because they do not want to pay animal control or drive to a pet clinic thing.

I have had cats, dogs, rabbits and if you can believe even a chicken once dropped off at my place. It bugs me to do it but the kind thing for these animals is try to find a home or put them down. I know I am not going to drive clear into town and pay some one to take the animal and I have plenty of pets as it is.

Man I do not understand how a person can think that a dog will survive out in the country. Cats can go feral but you drop a dog off and you have condemned it to a slow death.

I'm a huge dog lover and while what they did was absolutely wrong, I just have this vision of two desperate old people bawling their eyes out as they do the last thing they could think of. Again, Im just feeling a bit of mercy here, not supporting what they did at all. I'm so happy to hear that the ole boy ran into SWMBO when he did. Sounds like a whole lot of luck and some good vibes and juju.

I'm a huge dog lover and while what they did was absolutely wrong, I just have this vision of two desperate old people bawling their eyes out as they do the last thing they could think of. Again, Im just feeling a bit of mercy here, not supporting what they did at all. I'm so happy to hear that the ole boy ran into SWMBO when he did. Sounds like a whole lot of luck and some good vibes and juju.

And a great movie script.

I was thinking the same thing. There are some desperate elderly people who are barely getting by. It's possible that what is cheap medication for you and me was more than they could afford. While not right, I kinda feel bad for them if that's the only option they felt they had.

On another note, our dog is named Buddy as well. We adopted him from the local shelter and he's awesome. Clearly he was abused somewhat with his previous owner as he would cower away from loud voices or if you raised your arm for something (I assume thinking he'd be getting hit). He's much better now and is attached to my wife like velcro when she's around. We had him before she was pregnant and now he's great with our almost-2-year-old. The two of them romp around and play all the time.

My family has always gotten their dogs from shelters, and I will likely always do the same. There are just too many great dogs out there that need homes for me to consider buying a new papered puppy from a mill somewhere.

I'm surprised and glad to hear that Buddy is doing well with bloat. It can be fatal to dogs within a few hours, if the stomach actually twists. Also, dogs tend to have repeat occurrences after the first episode.

jgln-It's good of you to keep that dog. Sounds like she had some very bad experiences before you got her, and things scare her, which makes her feel she needs to be defensive. Sleeping standing up- poor dog!

Yeah, we love the dog and she loves us. I think she forgets where she is sometimes and gets defensive right away. Once she realizes the danger is over she almost seems to get ashamed of how she acted. Every couple months we get a growl from under the coffee table if we move suddenly but then a tail wag. That is they key for us, watch the tail. Wagging=ok, not wagging be careful. She has never even growled once when I step over her in the dark at night (she is black) to go to the bathroom while she sleeps outside our bedroom door.

I think the dog has mental issues. After she bit me, badly, and snapped out of her "trance" she acted sorry about what she did, hard to explain but she was.

When I get home from work or up get up from bed she goes crazy with joy. She actually smiles. Loves her belly rubbed. My wife gets her to jump back and forth through a hoop, neat.

I'm by no means a vet, but it does indeed sound as if the poor girl has neurological issues. If a dog will sleep standing up with its legs crossed, thats not a good sign.

This immediately made me think of a dog on the show "Dog Town." One of the tests this one particular chow underwent at the vet's to determine the degree of brain damage is that the vet crossed her back legs and timed how long it took for her to uncross. Vet wound up having to uncross her himself, poor thing. Is there a vet on the forums? Is there some sort of testing they can do?

Yeah, we love the dog and she loves us. I think she forgets where she is sometimes and gets defensive right away. Once she realizes the danger is over she almost seems to get ashamed of how she acted. Every couple months we get a growl from under the coffee table if we move suddenly but then a tail wag. That is they key for us, watch the tail. Wagging=ok, not wagging be careful. She has never even growled once when I step over her in the dark at night (she is black) to go to the bathroom while she sleeps outside our bedroom door.

I think the dog has mental issues. After she bit me, badly, and snapped out of her "trance" she acted sorry about what she did, hard to explain but she was.

When I get home from work or up get up from bed she goes crazy with joy. She actually smiles. Loves her belly rubbed. My wife gets her to jump back and forth through a hoop, neat.

Yep, great dog, until he attacks you as you sleep and you suddenly find out the REAL reason the old owners got rid of him!!!

LOL awesome

Yeah OP, that's one cuuuute pup there, and good on you and your swmbo for taking him in thus far.

If the dog has Bloat you may want to read up on it. http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-volvulus-bloat-dogs-life-threatening-emergency From this article, there are 2 types, the one I am familar with is when the stomach twists, which can kill a dog quickly.

The article says the two may or may not be related, but best to understand the symptoms and have the emergency vet number/address handy. Good for you rescuing the pooch, and best luck

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
That is one cute puppy!! That is a good thing, 'coz cute dogs taste better. Fact! :)

exactly what my friends from the Philippines say

I'll bet that dog will be the best you've ever had! I had a beagle mix who lived to be nearly 17! He is still to this day in my thoughts constantly, and he's been gone for over 5 years now.

Seriously? Are you really equating a dog with a human?

That would be ridiculous. Dogs are far superior.

I'd take a dog over a stinking child any day. To hell with the human race. I'd rather save the animals.

Amen, brother! (Present company excluded. Most HBT members seem pretty all right to me. :mug:)

I've volunteered for a no-kill pet shelter before. I will never get anything but a rescue dog after seeing how many sweet pups wind up at places like that. It was hard not to take a few of them home.

Both of my girlfriend's dogs were rescue dogs. The English Black Lab, Ethernopian (named after Starvin' Marvin on South Park), is still very skittish around strangers and loud noises. But he's one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet. I'd sure like to meet the miserable SOB that abused him and repay him ten fold. I don't know what all he went through (probably for the best), but he and his sister were found nearly starved to death. She was too weak to recover, sadly. He's missing half of his tail.

I just don't understand how a person can abuse or abandon an animal. That just makes that person less-than-human in my eyes. I hope karma catches up with that guy.

I can kinda see where the abandoner is coming from, though. Lots of "shelters" are just death row. If I felt that was my last best hope, I'd be a wreck the rest of my life with the wondering.
There's no way I'd give up a pup found with that note attached! Maybe OP could put an ad in the local paper or something that lets the previous owners know the dog has found a good home. Or the vet's office could forward the message.

Sorry, but I CANNOT see where the adandoner is coming from, and I don't know how you can even sorta understand. There's no excuse to just dump an animal. Dogs have been bread to depend on humans. You can't just expect a dog to survive on their own.

To make matters worse, they obviously found out the dog needed medical care, and then they dumped him after that. THAT is far worse than any shelter they could have driven him to. Had Rivenin's girlfriend (or anyone else) not found him and taken him in, it's very likely he'd be dead already from dehydration or worse. A quick, painless death at an animal shelter is far more humane than what they condemned him to by simply abandoning him.

There are plenty of things they could have done differently, but they chose a loathsome option.

Just to be an ass, I have to say my piece about our adorable chocolate lab (who is a good dog). Came home from work 2 days ago, unlocked the door and immediately smelled ****. I meant ****!
The dog, 4 years old, has never, ever messed our house,even when a pup. He must have been really sick.
Craped all over the throw rug (not the worse place for it) and puked there too. He was scared I was gonna beat his butt but I just took him outside and left the mess for the wife to pick up. Seriously, she wanted the dog. I like it but don't need the extra trouble so she got to cleanup.
Told you I was an ass!

One of my pet peeves is people dropping there animals off out in the country because they do not want to pay animal control or drive to a pet clinic thing.

When I was an undergrad back in the '70s, people would "let their dogs go free" (Rural, upstate N.Y. ). Always at the end of the Spring term. Some dogs would survive, despite the winter weather and form packs. Attacking pets, children, farm animals. The county finally declared open season on unlicensed dogs outside the city limits.

Good looking dog, OP. Sounds like his medical problems are controllable.

Hey Beer-lord
You're exactly what a pet needs. Understand that there was a problem and act accordingly. HWMC kicked(or something) our 5 year old cat for messing in the house. Now she's petrified. Yowls when he's here, and has just begun to spend time as usual when he's not.
There's a zillion opinions about surrendering pets, and that's the last thing I'd do myself. I'm just trying to be optimistic and keep from crying about poor Buddy's circumstances.

I told SWMBO last night this story. Unlike myself, she felt no mercy for the couple that surrendered buddy in this fashion. "If you have a pet or a child you can't stop trying until you have either taken care of them or found someone who can."

I think she's right, when she puts it like that.

Good for you! I'd like to find the previous owners and drop them off in the middle of the country :(

Maybe his owner tied him to a pole like a stripper. A do good citizen put the tag on and liberated him.

Nebraska? Never been there but I hear the weather stinks ;)

Psssh. We don't have any kinds of weather that the rest of you don't have. We just get ALL the kinds of weather mixed into one. At least we're not the Deep South, I hear our wussy little 'humidity' is nothin' in comparison.

Yeah put him in a shirt that says "Nebraska Football SUCKS" He'll get what he deserves . . . :cross:

Not true, we're NICE to our guests. Unlike those Buffalo, spitting all over the place.
You wanna get him "disappeared", put him in a shirt that says "Liberal", that should take care of it.
(Actually...although we're nice, a shirt that says "Go Longhorns" would possibly work as well. We're not bitter about that 0:00:01 at all. Nope. Not even a little.)

Back