Switch to electric?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chayes0724

Reaction score
hello! I’m a fairly new brewer I’ve done about 10 batches now all grain and kegged the last two. I’ve got a pretty good all grain set up. However I just don’t have as much time as I’d like to set up all the equipment required and honestly I’m running out of space to keep a mash tun, extra propane tanks, etc etc. I’m curious if anyone has made the move from a traditional all grain to electric and what your thoughts are on it? Or if I should just stick with the setup I currently have?

I haven't gone full electric, yet, but I do use a heat stick to supplement my gas stove for stove-top BIAB...
So no mash tun or propane tanks for me. I can get a 8 gallons of wort in a 10 gal kettle to a rolling boil.

The heat stick greatly speeds up getting to mash temps, going from mash to boil temps, and keeping the
boil vigorous.

So if you don't want make the full switch, get yourself a wilserbrewer BIAB bag combo, and a heat stick
(I use this $10, 1350W cheapo from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO8FY68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)...
Of course, SWMBO has to be agreeable to stove-top brewing, so YMMV.

I am currently looking to move from a propane BIAB to electric. I was 3 vessel before that and went BIAB to save time on brewing and clean up. Now looking to go electric to get some more consistency with mash temp control and be able to brew "inside" with a steam condenser set up.
Electric BIAB will probably be about he most compact system that I can think of.

Just went electric myself. Amazingly quiet brew day, pumps do all the work, not a thing to complain about. Main points to consider are batch size (which drives kettle size / numbers and voltage) and footprint needs. I went with a 2V K-RIMS that enabled flexibility in batch size, gravity, and process (step mash, rests, quick ramps, etc.), though it did require a 240 V line based on volume and desired speed.

Electric BIAB...2 minute one pot setup on a kitchen chair....5 minute one pot cleanup...cant get any easier

This is my ENTIRE brew system...pot, controller, chiller, chiller pump Spoon, auto siphon....everything...In one pot...stick in the corner till the next brew day....sweetness
20180213_104304_resized.jpg

Ok jonnyrotten, I must know more! This set up would make my wife happy. I’ve had mixed results with brew in a bag before. Which is way I switched over to a mash tun. What’s all in your setup?

I went eBIAB, built my own based mostly on Kal's design. I have a 15g pot so I can do double batches of average sized beers with a pourover sparge of a few gallons. Mine is currently in the garage on a stand with a hoist for the bag built in. I like it a lot.

Ok jonnyrotten, I must know more! This set up would make my wife happy. I’ve had mixed results with brew in a bag before. Which is way I switched over to a mash tun. What’s all in your setup?
its a 20 gallon pot. I brew 10 gallons at a time so your wife would like that even more. Half the brew days..same beer.
I run it off my existing dryer outlet. So its a 220v system. Plug into the outlet and run an extension cord upstair to my kitchen where I brew.
The thing with indoor brewing is the steam that your wife will not like at all if your brewing indoors. You might want to run an extension cord outside or garage.
If you have an existing electric dryer I could get you going. Or if you wanted to run a new 220 line from the breaker that would work to.

its a 20 gallon pot. I brew 10 gallons at a time so your wife would like that even more. Half the brew days..same beer.
I run it off my existing dryer outlet. So its a 220v system. Plug into the outlet and run an extension cord upstair to my kitchen where I brew.
The thing with indoor brewing is the steam that your wife will not like at all if your brewing indoors. You might want to run an extension cord outside or garage.
If you have an existing electric dryer I could get you going. Or if you wanted to run a new 220 line from the breaker that would work to.
I see that now, yes I have a 220V dryer outlet at home. Do you use a heating element to heat the water, then add grains into a bag or a malt pipe? How do you regulate temperature?

I see that now, yes I have a 220V dryer outlet at home. Do you use a heating element to heat the water, then add grains into a bag or a malt pipe? How do you regulate temperature?
Its a very basic setup with no pumps

The homemade control panel regulates the temp. You could buy one or make your own pretty easy. 5500w heating element in the pot.

You could buy a whole system ready to go or build everything yourself. You need to drill a couple holes in a pot and do some light wiring but its doable....I didnt have a clue what I was dong and I got every ounce of information from the good folks here on the forum.

Latest posts

Back