Swing and a miss!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usrbrgr1969

Reaction score
My son and I decided to brew another batch of a Vanilla Bourbon Porter that turned out really good and scored pretty decent at a recent contest. Things did not go as planned! The first adjustment I made was to the grain bill as our efficiency has typically been in the 65-68% range and we wanted to make sure we had 5 gallons to split to test different bourbons when we went to secondary. Wouldn't you know it- we hit 85% efficiency on this brew! Ended up with an extra 1 1/2 gallons to hit my pre-boil gravity. Decided when the boil was done that the 7 3/4 gallons would all fit in my Fast Ferment conical if I used a blowoff tube and kept the temp on the low end at 62F for the WY 1728. Nope! Lost over a gallon through the blow off tube and onto the garage floor.

Cleaned it up and it is still bubbling like a kid blowing bubbles in their milk.

Oh well, lessons learned and notes taken:smack:

In the end -- I will have beer!

Beer Blowout 2-21-16.JPG

Beer Blowout II 2-21-16.JPG

can you confirm how you've attached the blowoff tube and what size tubing you're using. I'm trying to see if I need to use an airlock and attach the hose there or do something else.

Man, I'd build a wooden floor to that put that thing on, that's 60+ lbs sitting on that wire shelf, that is clearly struggling!

Back