Sweet IPA isn't making sense

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Gravity into fermenter was 1.065 (included 1 pound of honey). Final gravity 1.011

Boil 90 minutes with 25g of Amarillo fwh
24g of Amarillo and simco at 20 minutes
28g of Amarillo simco at 10 minutes
25g of simco 1minute

50g of various mix for 20 minute hop stand.

It's been in keg for a few days and is t carved yet. Hoppy flavour but not bitter at all it's more sweet. Any ideas?

It might be more helpful if you could give specifics, like the relative percentages of those malts and the batch size as well.

5 gallon. 37% each of pil and pale. 10 % Munich. 8% golden promise. 3% rice hulls. 5% honey

Have you used this grain bill before? The honey coupled with Munich/GP might be the source.

I first time. But a Gordon strong recipe. There is zero bitterness though I should by up over 60 ibu

Even with that sweetness I would think with the level of attenuation and that hop load I should have bee getting a bit of bitter.

Sorry, I see now that you said honey. I misread that as 'honey malt' my first time through, which was why I asked that. I'm brainstorming. Do you think the hops were fresh and/or stored properly?

What yeast did you use?

What kind of IBUs were you expecting?
Edit: you beat me to it. I see your IBU's up there now.

Do you think it's possible the sweetness won't be so apparent once it is fully carbed?

I suppose you could always consider it a recipe issue. Meaning, if it isn't as bitter as you want, adjust the next version for more bitterness. And maybe consider using a different variety?

It's like delicious hop juice. I am hoping once it carbonates the bite will come out. But that's just hopeful thinking.

I'm metric challenged, so sorry if I miscounted in my head, but 25 grams of bittering hops seems pretty low.

What were the calculated IBUs for the beer?

I'd say that the FWH has something to do with it as well. When I do a beer with FWH I tend to get a much smoother bitterness and not the traditional bite. Plus, that is not a ton of hops for a bittering charge (Yooper beat me to it): just under 1 ounce so that must be the issue.

54 IBUs? What was the OG? 1.065? That's low on bittering, but not terribly so.

Normally, if you want firm bittering you'd want to go with a more "equal" bittering, generally nearly as many IBUs as points of OG, with about 40 IBUs coming from the bittering addition.

If you FWH, that does provide a "smoother" bitterness so you could even go a bit higher on the IBUs with that addition.

The intent of the recipe was to push the bitterness from the hops at the end of the boil. It's my first time trying a hop burst.

but that 54 is competing against some sweetness from the malts and honey. I'd think you'd need to up the bittering charge. Maybe don't do a FWH and add more.

Agreed. There is still hope with the carbing but not much. It's weird normally Gordon strongs recipes are solid.

Back