Swamp Beer- It won't clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
After not being able to brew for about 7 months, I knocked off 3 batches since the beginning of August.
The first was EdWort's Haus Pale. I realized once I mashed in that I way overshot my mash temp by almost 10 degrees only to find out later that my main thermometer was 10 degrees off. It took me about 5-10 minutes to regulate my mash temp to where I wanted it at 152*.
It has been in the keg now for 2 and a half weeks, and is perfectly carbed, but is looks like a Hefe. Could the initial shock of the high mash temp have caused this beer to not be able to clear? Usually after 2 weeks, all of my beers clear right up.
BTW, the yeast was a smack pack of 1056 and I used Whirflock at 15 minutes as normal.
Thanks

Have you tested for starch? 10 minutes at 162F will de-nature all of the beta enzymes and most of the alpha. If it tests positive for starch, your best bet is some powdered enzyme.

Sounds like time to learn about clearing agents.

The highest it got was 159 according to my PID.
I did not test for starch. I am assuming you mean with iodine. Should I pour a sample and let it degass and test it? I have to read up on powdered enzyme, can I use it in a keg of carbonated beer?

Back