Survived my first AG... with only a little stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
On Saturday, I brewed my very first all-grain batch. It was an English mild ale. Everything went pretty smoothly throughout, though I have lots of room for improvement. In particular, I need to get a propane burner because my stove could just barely get the wort to a boil. On the other hand, I hit my numbers pretty well--70% efficiency on my first try.

So, I had just gotten the wort cooled and was transferring it to the fermenter. I had the yeast packet (S-04) open and in hand. Before I could pour it into a bowl to proof it, I got distracted. Next thing I know, I had spilled the yeast all across the floor. GAAAA!!! I had to improvise fast. It was too late to buy a new packet of S-04, and I couldn't pitch yeast that had rolled around on the ground. So, I pitched a combination of the last 1/4 packet of S-04 that didn't fall out and some Scottish ale slurry that I had in the fridge. It was the best that I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

At any rate, in spite of my best efforts to sabotage it, I think that I still made beer. It is bubbling away, and it looks and smells normal. The ester profile will probably be off, but screw it.

It was a long day (started at 2:00 and had everything put away at 10:30), but it was satisfying to have accomplished my first brewing goal of the new year.

Congratulations!

Don't worry, I have 8 hour brew days too some times ;) Happens to all of us.

It would be interesting to see how it turns out, to hell with style ;) Hope you don't like it too much though, it's going to be a ***** to reproduce!

I love disaster stories! Even though yours was only a minor one. It makes me feel more human I suppose. I don't think I've done a batch yet without an oh $hit at some point in the process. Welcome to AG brewing. When are you ordering your mill?

I thought I'd give an update on this story. The beer was fine. It was a pretty tasty Mild, though there was room for improvement. Next time, I would back off on the toasted malt and not drop my yeast on the floor. I enjoyed drinking this batch, and I was sad to see it go (even though it was well past its prime for the last six-pack).

Latest posts

Back