Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the yeast catcher:) my main reason for creating a catcher at the bottom was to catch all the junk that collects at the bottom of a fermenter after fermentation and secondary!! The more junk that stays out of the fermenter gives you more beer in the end, at least what I believe! My process is:
1) attach catcher to bottom of ballvalve with ballvalve open!
2) poor cooled wort into fermenter and add yeast
3) after 5-7 days or after fermentation is done close ballvalve and remove catcher. Harvest what u want if you like. Clean and sanitize and reattach catcher for the secondary fermentation process!
4) during secondary fermentation some more junk will collect in catcher!
5) keg or bottle your beer:)

Your design looks great, easy to clean!
I'd get a nipple that goes from bottom of fermenter to ballvalve! idea is good!
Enjoy the new fermenter:)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Thank you! I'm glad that I decided to emulate your design because I think it's a more efficient way of harvesting yeast. I'll definitely get that nipple you suggested. I look forward to finally using it. :)

I just kegged my first batch from the conical. I tried to drop the yeast out through the bottom. Some of it started to come out, but then beer came out. I will definitely use the yeast catcher next time. I made one, but didn't use it for my first batch.

Thanks. I've read every post of this thread. I was reaffirming the need for the yeast catcher. Great idea by the way!

Received my 15 gallon conical today from Ohio Valley AG. Want to give a shout out to Jarrod and those guys... I ordered it on the 26th (Saturday) and it was here today... and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! Thanks guys!

Just waiting on my fittings from Brewers Hardware. Hopefully I have them by Saturday so I can brew Sunday!

Never expected this thread and build to get so popular. I wonder if I could talk OhioVally into getting me a special rate on a second or stand.

Glad everyone is enjoying their conicals. Thanks again spotted couldnt have started without you. Now that brewhemoth raised prices this is amazing setup for the price.

Squeeky said:
Never expected this thread and build to get so popular. I wonder if I could talk OhioVally into getting me a special rate on a second or stand.

Glad everyone is enjoying their conicals. Thanks again spotted couldnt have started without you. Now that brewhemoth raised prices this is amazing setup for the price.

:)

Went for it on all this yesterday, after re-confirming that it seems to be working out well for the guys at Hess. $326 total investment. That's more than most of you are paying, but I went all out with the prebuilt stand and tri-clover fittings coupled to a 1-1/2" sight glass for yeast collection and trub dropping. $326 is still vastly cheaper than any stainless setup I could find at this capacity, so I'm thrilled.

I'll post up photos in a few weeks if it all comes together as expected!

My brother-in-law and I built the stand today. Still need to mount the casters, mount the temperature controller, and attach the fittings. We will also be placing a peice of 1/2" foam pipe insulation around the hole in the stand. This will snug it up to the conical and keep it from scratching. We are also going to paint it with an outdoor flat paint to seal it.

vz8iDh.jpg

JHpgHh.jpg

7nXeXh.jpg

bCYhnh.jpg

2DeXT.jpg

Looks good. Maybe consider adding some cross braces in. Just in case a caster catches something solid when you're rolling it around. Being that the weight is so high and the 2x2 boxes don't offer much strength.

Some Crossbraces will be your best friend....or his buddies the mop and bucket may be drinking your brew...looks great otherwise..

Well the right conical finally showed up. I hit ace hardware and picked up some parts and wala ferminter. I sealed it and added a fitting on top for an airlock or to add co2 tank to push beer out. Just put a 5 gal batch in it to try it out. Should be drinking it in few weeks. Heres a pic

ForumRunner_20111204_174607.jpg

Simple really took some rubber "D" weather strip took screws out put the weather strip on the inner edge of ring and ran a bead of silicone around outer edge next to weather strip and reinstalled with scews. Then used same weather strip on lid edge to seal when closed. Since its rubber and non porous no worries with cleaning it. Then installed valve on lid for air lock hose that goes into bucket or to the c02 tank. Took about an hour to put whole thing together including racking port ect. I plan on putting casters on stand so i can role it around.

Have to wait until beer done thats in it now. But could post them after that. I tested it with 30 psi and no leakes so good setup.

Some Crossbraces will be your best friend....or his buddies the mop and bucket may be drinking your brew...looks great otherwise..

I guess I am not entirely sure what you are referring to. It seems pretty solid, I stood on it. Would I put cross braces above my bottom 2x2 box?

noremorse1 said:
I guess I am not entirely sure what you are referring to. It seems pretty solid, I stood on it. Would I put cross braces above my bottom 2x2 box?

Not being all that much larger then the conical I'm not sure it would need it unless you used some really thin plywood...

Not being all that much larger then the conical I'm not sure it would need it unless you used some really thin plywood...

It is 1/2". With the reinforcement on it now, it help my weight fine when I stood on it. I am about 205. We are going to do an overnight test with a star san solution. Testing structure and seals.

Noremorse.. I am saying as the guy right before me that a diagonal brace...similar to a crossbuck...or a truss... Will add considerable strength and resist the torsional folding type of collapse.... Cheap insurance policy... I hope this text makes some sense.... Imagine in elevation forming a Z shape

Noremorse.. I am saying as the guy right before me that a diagonal brace...similar to a crossbuck...or a truss... Will add considerable strength and resist the torsional folding type of collapse.... Cheap insurance policy... I hope this text makes some sense.... Imagine in elevation forming a Z shape

That is what I thought you were recommending. I guess my only qualm with that is that it would interfere with anything I would place below it. My fittings will likely protrude about 1 foot below. I guess I will see where I can place it with the fittings on.

You know... I could take another peice of 1/2" particle board and cut it so it sits on my bottom braces. I could then use this as a sort of shelf for a bucket or whatever that could move with the conical. That would certainly add rigidity to it.

Thanks for the ideas

Hopefully I'll have mine in the next few weeks. I'm going to use a full 11/2 ball valve for the dump, 3/4for racking port, and camlocks for all final fittings. Just have to build the stand once it comes in.

It is 1/2". With the reinforcement on it now, it help my weight fine when I stood on it. I am about 205. We are going to do an overnight test with a star san solution. Testing structure and seals.

It's not about holding the weight. It has to do with keeping the "legs" where they are. The way you have it if the wheels snagged something like the joint in the concrete and stops, the weight of the full conical and the pressure of you pushing on it will cause the legs to "fold". Just add some 2x2's like this / \ to the legs to keep that from happening.

If you have more plywood you could box in the 3 sides leaving the front open to get to your ports. That would be strong and easy.

I suggested that to my brother in law but we thought it would be a bit of a pain if we had to get to a certain part of the fitting or something. I think I am going to add the cross members as suggested and hope they don't interfere.

Hopefully I'll have mine in the next few weeks. I'm going to use a full 11/2 ball valve for the dump, 3/4for racking port, and camlocks for all final fittings. Just have to build the stand once it comes in.

If you havent already bought your fittings, you will get better results with a butterfly valve for your dump. Using a ball valve you could get yeast and trub clogging it up easier than with a butterfly. Tri Clover Butterfly Valves from Brewers Hardware

noremorse1 said:
If you havent already bought your fittings, you will get better results with a butterfly valve for your dump. Using a ball valve you could get yeast and trub clogging it up easier than with a butterfly. Tri Clover Butterfly Valves from Brewers Hardware
I've noticed that several builds are using small valves(under one inch) I can get the ball valves cheap, and being that it is a full port 1.5 inch, I don't think I'll have to much of a problem. I planned on using a yeast catcher as well. If I do I have issues, and I'll switch over to the butterfly. I'm just trying to figure out heating and cooling on it now. heating seems easy, but cooling will either involve a external gycol tube coil jacket, or a removable internal coil. I plan on the jacket just because I want one less item to sanitize.

I've noticed that several builds are using small valves(under one inch) I can get the ball valves cheap, and being that it is a full port 1.5 inch, I don't think I'll have to much of a problem. I planned on using a yeast catcher as well. If I do I have issues, and I'll switch over to the butterfly. I'm just trying to figure out heating and cooling on it now. heating seems easy, but cooling will either involve a external gycol tube coil jacket, or a removable internal coil. I plan on the jacket just because I want one less item to sanitize.

Ohh... well, if you are using a yeast catcher you will be good. I am going to use an internal stainless coil. It should not be too bad to clean. Just spray it off with hot water and then soak it in pbw solution for an hour or so. As long as it is a kink free coil, there shouldn't be anywhere for nasties to hide.

I'll know on Thursday if the wife bought it. If so I will be ordering all my valves, bulkhead, and camlocks On Friday, and hopefully be using it by Sunday :p

Well i checked on my beer in this new conicle today after 3 days and noticed that its perking real good however a couple of key notes here. First the half inch ball valve on bottom for yeast rackoff has a drip to it. Not much got a quarter size spot under it. I racked off some yeast today and noticed that you have to watch how much you do if not careful the airlock water travels up the tube the same amount you let out of bottom. That could be disaterous if it makes it to the top and into fermentor. But have to say for half inch valve it drained it out plenty fast and did not clog. I think ill make sure i close valve on airlock tube and pressure it up a bit before racking out of the fermentor to be safe. So far all is good.

I'm trying to grasp what valves etc to buy. Is tri clover overkill, since you are stuck with one pipe thread connection anyway?

Also, is there a conical primer anywhere to edumacate a conical virgin like me? I.E. proper procedures for yeast dumping, blowoff tubes, etc?

mschrock said:
I'm trying to grasp what valves etc to buy. Is tri clover overkill, since you are stuck with one pipe thread connection anyway?

Also, is there a conical primer anywhere to edumacate a conical virgin like me? I.E. proper procedures for yeast dumping, blowoff tubes, etc?

Each has there preference! Here is mine:)

image-2820198881.jpg

image-168348547.jpg

image-1661681628.jpg

Well i checked on my beer in this new conicle today after 3 days and noticed that its perking real good however a couple of key notes here. First the half inch ball valve on bottom for yeast rackoff has a drip to it. Not much got a quarter size spot under it. I racked off some yeast today and noticed that you have to watch how much you do if not careful the airlock water travels up the tube the same amount you let out of bottom. That could be disaterous if it makes it to the top and into fermentor. But have to say for half inch valve it drained it out plenty fast and did not clog. I think ill make sure i close valve on airlock tube and pressure it up a bit before racking out of the fermentor to be safe. So far all is good.

You need to remove the airlock when you rack anything off.

I ordered tri-clamps. Partly because it will make dis-assembly and attaching things easy. Also because its cool.

Well the right conical finally showed up. I hit ace hardware and picked up some parts and wala ferminter. I sealed it and added a fitting on top for an airlock or to add co2 tank to push beer out. Just put a 5 gal batch in it to try it out. Should be drinking it in few weeks. Heres a pic

View attachment 39857

I've been thinking about going this route myself. right now I'm doing 5 gal batches, with the thought of eventually stepping up to 10. With 5 gal, is there any concern about the amount of headspace?

Sorrow said:
I've been thinking about going this route myself. right now I'm doing 5 gal batches, with the thought of eventually stepping up to 10. With 5 gal, is there any concern about the amount of headspace?

Ive noticed that it dont perk a hole lot thru the airlock because of the air space. Purge your fermonter with oxygen after pitch yeast should clear out any unwanted air in tank and oxygenate your wort real nice. I dont think the co2 built up in top of fermentor is gonna cause any trouble or impart any flavor changes. If anyone can add to that let me know.

noremorse1 said:
You need to remove the airlock when you rack anything off.

Im closing valve and hooking up co2 tank to rack. push everything out at about 4 psi Next time.

Latest posts

Back