Super carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeradical

Reaction score
Hey I just brewed and bottled a hefeweizen. I bottled about a month ago and when I pour the beer into glasses it has a ridiculous head. I guess I bottled before it was finished fermenting. It tastes fine, but my concern is the bottles exploding. Does that seem likely after a month of bottling? Should I refrigerate them?

I think that if you've not had any bottles pop in a month, chances are you won't... Just don't go shaking the bottles up before you go to chill, or open them. :eek:

How long are you chilling them before pouring? Try giving them a few more days in the fridge and see if that helps get the foam under control.

i've had bottles pop after a month. wrap the box the bottles are in in a trash bag. so if they do explode on your the sharp glass stays in the box and the liquid beer does not go all over your carpet.

i've had bottles pop after a month. wrap the box the bottles are in in a trash bag. so if they do explode on your the sharp glass stays in the box and the liquid beer does not go all over your carpet.

+1

I'de guess you bottled too early ---OR--- is there any chance that you have an infection? How does the beer taste?

I'm with Tipsy Dragon. I carbonated a batch a while ago to 3.25 volumes of CO2 by Tasty brew calculator. When I finished bottling, I found out I only had 4.5 gallons of beer, so needless to say, I was pretty nervous. More like 3.5 volumes of CO2! Turns out, 22 Bombers fit well in one of those Sterilite storage boxes. None blew, but I contained them for several months in preparation for the worst.

What I'm getting at is that you don't know how much residual sugar was left in your beer at bottling. 3 or 4 gravity points could be the difference between ridiculous head and glass shrapnel. Better safe than sorry, I say, and try to make sure your fermentation is over before bottling.

Latest posts

Back