What do different carbonation volumes look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I wonder what a bottle of beer carbonated to 2.3 or 2.6 or... volumes of co2 would look like when poured in a glass
Anyone has a picture or a video of their beer in a glass carbonated to a certain volume? I'd like to have some idea about the amount of foam and head retention of different carbonation volumes

The head amount and retention is as much determined by the proteins (and probably other compounds) in the beer, exactly how it is poured, how clean the glass is, how cold the glass is, how cold the beer is, etc., as it is by the carbonation level. Just seeing what a pour looks like isn't going to give you useful information on carb level.

Carb level is more about mouth feel, and CO2 bite, than appearance in the glass.

Brew on :mug:

This is from Foam. These are all pictures of the same beer, poured and drained differently:
7556CCB9-923E-482A-922E-633DDF573606.jpeg

Here is a chart of CO2 volume ranges for different beer styles.

2.3 is on the low end (but within) most ranges.

You can get a large head of foam with 2.3 CO2 volume, but the CO2 volume is only one factor. If you shake the bottle and then pour, almost any volume of CO2 will be foamy.

And "head retention" is the term for how long foam tends to last. It can be as or more important if you are wanting the foam to stick around awhile.

Last edited:
Here is a chart of CO2 volume ranges fir different beer styles.

2.3 is on the low end (but within) most ranges.

You can get a large head of foam with 2.3 CO2 volume, but the CO2 volume is only one factor. If you shake the bottle and then pour, almost any volume of CO2 will be foamy.

And "head retention" is the term for how long foam tends to last. It can be as it more important if you are wanting the foam to stick around awhile.
Can I see the chart?

Thanks for the link, so 2.3 is considered low carbonation?
For many styles it is on the low end of traditional carb levels, but for many others it's on the high end. You have to specify style when asking about recommended carb levels.

But, unless you are brewing for competitions, the "correct" carbonation level is whatever you find most enjoyable (which may or may not vary by style.) You have to figure this out for yourself, as no one can tell you what your preferences are.

Last edited:
For many styles it is on the low end of traditional carb levels, but for many others it's on the high end. You have to specify style when asking about recommended carb levels.

But, unless you are brewing for competitions, the "correct" carbonation level is whatever you find most enjoyable (which may or may not vary by style.) You have to figure this out for yourself, as no one can tell you what your preferences are.

Thanks, I like my beer carbed to a greater extent but bottle bombs really terrify me, so I just think that with lower carbonation, there are less chances of explosion? Cause I'm carbonating in soda bottles

Thanks for the link, so 2.3 is considered low carbonation?
It's at the low end of acceptable for a lot of styles. Honestly, I usually just shoot for 3.0. Overcarbed beer will flatten out in the glass. No way to add carbonation to undercarbed beer once poured.

And commercial soda bottles can hold a LOT of pressure. More that 4.0 volumes.

It's at the low end of acceptable for a lot of styles. Honestly, I usually just shoot for 3.0. Overcarbed beer will flatten out in the glass. No way to add carbonation to undercarbed beer once poured.

And commercial soda bottles can hold a LOT of pressure. More that 4.0 volumes.
It's a porter
They say 1.8-2.3 is good for a porter, but I don't want it to flatten out when poured

It's a porter
They say 1.8-2.3 is good for a porter, but I don't want it to flatten out when poured
I tend to want more carbonation than 2.3 volumes. Most of mine are 2.65 volumes - a little higher for some. I'm guessing from what you've said here that you might want more than 2.3 volumes (just reading between the lines). I don't think it would hurt to prime for 2.6 or so - you can always let it relieve some carbonation if it's too much. Ultimately, you will have to decide. Really, it will be beer either way.

Higher levels of carbonation also add more carbonic acid "bite" to the flavor, which may or may not be what you want.

Many British ales are carbed to around 1.8-2.2 volumes. That doesn't seem like much but it works well for those styles. You can carb higher, but the taste and mouthfeel will be different. But as others have mentioned, you can let it set a while after pouring. If you are patient. ;)

Back