Super Black IPA: Blend of Stone SSRA and Firestone Walker Wookey Jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When thinking of a beer to brew for an upcoming homebrew competition I immediately thought of my two favorite Black IPAs i.e. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale and Firestone Walker Wookey Jack. So I went search of clone recipes on HBT and once I found 2 that I thought would turn out close to their respective commercial beer I came up with the following recipe.

Grains:
13 lbs Maris Otter, pale malt
1.5 lbs Rye Malt
0.50 lb CaraRye (65L)
0.60 lb (9.6oz) Midnight Wheat
0.62 lb (10oz) Carafa III

Hops:
1.35oz Chinook @ 90 minutes (51.9 IBUs)
1oz Amarilo @ 20 minutes (14.7 IBUs)
1oz Citra @ 20 minutes (23.6 IBUs)
1oz Simcoe @ Flame out
1oz Citra @ Flame out
0.75oz El Dorado @ Flamout (my twist on the clone recipes)

Yeast: Wyeast 1098 British Ale (2L starter)

Mash @ 147F for 60 minutes
Mashout @ 168F for 10 minutes
Preboil Gravity: 1.065 (I got 1.057 (76.4% efficiency)and used to 1 lb of DME to correct the gravity)
Preboil Volume: 7.95 gallons

Dry Hopping:
1oz Citra - 3 days in primary
1oz Simcoe - 3 days in primary
1oz El Dorado - 4 days in secondary
1oz Amarillo 4 days in secondary

Original Gravity: 1.084
Target FG: 1.017

Ferment @ 68F

Thoughts?

This looks good. Post what it tastes like when it's done. I've been thinking of trying a big Cascadian Dark Ale like this.

If you brew it again, you might try first wort hopping the chinook - less harsh bittering. Also might be interesting to see what effect, if any, a less attenuating yeast* might have.

*e.g. Wyeast 1099 Whitbread, 1318 Boddingtons, or 1084 Guinness.

This looks good. Post what it tastes like when it's done. I've been thinking of trying a big Cascadian Dark Ale like this.

If you brew it again, you might try first wort hopping the chinook - less harsh bittering. Also might be interesting to see what effect, if any, a less attenuating yeast* might have.

*e.g. Wyeast 1099 Whitbread, 1318 Boddingtons, or 1084 Guinness.
I ended up with an OG of 1.078 because I had some issues with my mashout, but overall brew day went well. I like the idea of FWH a portion of the chinook. A less attenuating yeast could work too. It would help the rye malts shine more. I'll make sure to post a picture of the fermentation when I get home from work today (it was bubbling this morning) and then tasting notes once it's bottled and carbed. Cheers!

Came out tasting closer to Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale...the rye adds a bit of flavor, body, and head retention.

Great. I'm in the Kiwi Contingent! Really looking forward to it.
Im keen to give your recipe a go sometime soon though, both great beers.
Good luck to ya. If we both make it, I'll get to try it.

Back