Mango IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderbyte07

Reaction score
I'm looking to mix up our recent string of Cascade heavy IPAs:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Est Efficiency: 75.00 %

11 lbs 2 Row (2.0 SRM) 85.30%
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.90%
4.0 oz Caramel 20L (20.0 SRM) 1.90%
4.0 oz Caramel 80L (80.0 SRM) 1.90%
0.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - First Wort 13.4 IBUs
0.8 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 60.0 min 32.0 IBUs
0.7 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 15.0 min 13.9 IBUs
0.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 5.0 min 3.9 IBUs
1.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - Flameout 0.0 IBUs
2.0 oz Citra/Galaxy - Dry Hop 5.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 63.3 IBUs
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

Mash at 152.0 F for 60 min

I'm planning to rack it onto six pounds of frozen cubed mango in secondary and let that settle down before dry hopping. If all the sugars ferment out this should boost the ABV by ~1.3% (according to the label)

Thoughts? Will the total of three ounces each of Citra and Galaxy on top of that much mango be overpowering? Are there other hops that could add some depth without being distracting? I considered Amarillo, Motueka, Mosaic or El Dorado (and am certainly open to using them) but Citra and Galaxy sound the most specifically mango-y.

How about the malt bill? I really liked amber malt in our Dogfish head 90 minute clone and I thought the 20L and 80L might be needed to balance the tartness of the fermented mango, but I'm worried it might finish too sweet.

Thanks!

I would move the 45, either part to the beginning, the other to the end, or all of it to one or the other.

I would move the 45, either part to the beginning, the other to the end, or all of it to one or the other.

Good call, it did feel a little odd to not have a 60 minute addition. How about this?

0.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - First Wort 13.4 IBUs
0.8 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 60.0 min 32.0 IBUs
0.7 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 15.0 min 13.9 IBUs
0.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - Boil 5.0 min 3.9 IBUs
1.5 oz Citra/Galaxy - Flameout 0.0 IBUs
2.0 oz Citra/Galaxy - Dry Hop 5.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

63 IBUs (and hopefully a rounder/smoother bitterness)

Thanks! How about the hop depth? And is there enough/too much crystal to balance the mango?

To be honest galaxy has ton of tropical aroma and flavor already not sure if you will even be able to tell the difference

Here's a trick I discovered recently...do a 100% Fermentation with Brett Trois from White Labs...it gives of so much mango and tropical aromas that I didn't even dry hop it...been averaging low 40s with this beer in competitions just my two cents

Don't let this stop you trying out the mango...through in a harberno with the mangos is what I would do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To be honest galaxy has ton of tropical aroma and flavor already not sure if you will even be able to tell the difference
Tell the difference between galaxy and citra?
Here's a trick I discovered recently...do a 100% Fermentation with Brett Trois from White Labs...it gives of so much mango and tropical aromas that I didn't even dry hop it...been averaging low 40s with this beer in competitions just my two cents
That does sound good, are you willing to share your recipe? Or at least fermentation temperature?
Don't let this stop you trying out the mango...through in a harberno with the mangos is what I would do :)
I've been reading the mango habanero IPA thread, might save that for a future brew

Thanks again!

Would melanoiden be out of place in this beer? We've used it a few times in the past and I was always under the impression that it brightened the other flavors (and I like the color contribution) but I'm having second thoughts.
My current thoughts are:

11 lbs 2 Row (2.0 SRM) 85.30%
10.0 oz Caramel 40L (40.0 SRM) 4.8 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) 1.9 %
2.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) 1.0 %

Thanks again!

I've brewed this a couple times, turned out nice. The mango addition kicks off a 2nd ferment so the beer end ups on the dry side. A less attenuating yeast or higher mash temp may counter that some:

Boil Size: 7.84 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

11 lbs Maris Otter (4.5 SRM)
2 lbs Toasted 2-Row (27.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Briess Caramel 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Briess Carapils (2.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

1.0 pkg Safale US-05
6.00 lb Dole Mango Chunks (Secondary 2.0 weeks)

I have brewed something very similar to this before, except without the mango. It's the best I've made so far. One of my buddies hates IPA's and said it tasted like a hefeweizen (and loved it).

15 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Cara Pils
1 lb Honey Malt
1 oz Citra (30 Min, Boil)
1 oz Galaxy (30 Min, Boil)
1 oz Citra (10 Min, Boil)
1 oz Galaxy (10 Min, Boil)
1 oz Citra (Dry Hop, 7 Days)
1 oz Galaxy (Dry Hop, 7 Days)
S-04 Yeast

Came out unbelievably smooth and fruity, but still definitely an IPA. I'm more of a fan of hop flavors than bitterness, so take it as you will. The citra/galaxy combo works very well though.

I've brewed this a couple times, turned out nice. The mango addition kicks off a 2nd ferment so the beer end ups on the dry side. A less attenuating yeast or higher mash temp may counter that some
Even with the half pound of Caramel 20? What was your mash temperature? I like the thought of toasted 2 row in there, it seems like it could add a nice depth.

I have brewed something very similar to this before, except without the mango. It's the best I've made so far. One of my buddies hates IPA's and said it tasted like a hefeweizen (and loved it).

Came out unbelievably smooth and fruity, but still definitely an IPA. I'm more of a fan of hop flavors than bitterness, so take it as you will. The citra/galaxy combo works very well though.
Excellent, I'm very glad to hear that.

Both those recipes look delicious, thank you for the input. I'm very happy to hear that Maris Otter works well, I really like that malt but wasn't sure if it would work with the rest of the flavors.

Thanks!

Even with the half pound of Caramel 20? What was your mash temperature? I like the thought of toasted 2 row in there, it seems like it could add a nice depth.

Excellent, I'm very glad to hear that.

Both those recipes look delicious, thank you for the input. I'm very happy to hear that Maris Otter works well, I really like that malt but wasn't sure if it would work with the rest of the flavors.

Thanks!

Ya, even with the caramel 20. I mashed at 152 - 153 both times. I like it how it ends up, you tell it went through a fruit ferment but that's ok.

Latest posts

Back