Saison Rue Poilu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntgraphite

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belle Saison
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 free rise to 84f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 lowering to 34f
Additional Fermentation
bottle aging 28 days
Tasting Notes
Wookey Jack and Saison DuPont had a love child.
Mash was single infusion, 75 minute mash at 150f.
Recipe:
14# GP
2.5# Rye malt
1# Flaked rye
1# Cara rye
.5# Midnight wheat
.5# De-bittered black

1oz fwh magnum
1oz 90m magnum
1 oz 5m citra
1 oz 5m ahtanum
4 oz cascade, dry hop, 3 different additions. Home grown. Get yer own.

I took 99.9% of the stats from the Firestone Walker page about wookey jack, because every wookey jack clone I read had the ingredients wrong. I mean, they're right there on the FW page, for pete's sake.

Then I adjusted the color and IBUs to match very closely in beersmith. Original recipe called for 80 IBU and 42 srm. Close enough.

So then I went to pick up some amarillo, and LHBS didn't have it. So I improvised.

Tasting notes; muh. Wait til I sober up a bit.:drunk:
Strong pepper and fruit up front; good belgian flavor. Pepper lasts until the after-flavor which is a malty rye bit with ahtanum and citra notes. The magnum really doesn't make it through; not surprising. The water character is evident in the bitter-forward balance.

WARNING: I used 2 packs of belle saison. It chewed through this baby in 3 days, from 1.085 to 1.010. It probably dried out more in the bottle, but momma, 9.8%? That's Weyerbacher territory. Uh, consider blowoff assembly or decent headspace if you let it free rise like I did.

Back