Finally - a good "session" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any updates on this at all? i really want to nail a great session IPA to try out hop combos and such but not have a thin beer. i'd also like to use a session ipa to test out process variables in split batches.

any updates on this at all? i really want to nail a great session IPA to try out hop combos and such but not have a thin beer. i'd also like to use a session ipa to test out process variables in split batches.

I really have not revisited this much since I went down the NE IPA road. That is really where I kind of went with this and took it in that initial direction of a 1.050-1.055 type NE IPA. Should probably come back to it at some point.... but, in all honesty, seems a little bit mute now. The NE IPA recipe is kind of everything I look for in an IPA. If I was going to come back this direction, I think I would probably just go toward a good old APA.

That said..... I wonder about lactose in a beer like this? I think I would hang with a yeast like 002 probably - leaves a bit of body behind, but would be clean/clear like a traditional IPA. I would avoid hops that can come off as dry, harsh, overly assertive.

.......Warrior with a Citra/Mosaic combo. Or, perhaps Warrior with a Simcoe/Amarillo combo.

Maybe revisit it this summer when I have more time. Not sure if anyone else has any success in this area..... my best low ABV IPA's have been that NE IPA recipe.

yeah, i was wondering if you abandoned this in favor of the NE IPA thread. still always curious if it is possible to create a really delicious ipa with lower alcohol. maybe 5.5% is kind of a cutoff point. i've never made a really great hoppy beer with full flavor that was under about 1.060.

Back