Sulphur Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxvolume

Reaction score
Trying my first batch of cider:
5 gal. Treetop apply juice
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast
Fermaid
OG 1.050
Sanitized everything, dumped in juice, pitched yeast and Fermaid, aerated, sealed it up. Starting bubbling in less than 24 hours - nice sweet apple smell. THEN! on day 3 - Sulphur! I have been brewing tasty all-grain beer for a few years, and had a foul batch like this once before.
I've heard that cider can go through a sulphur stage. Is this right? Did I do something wrong? Will it go away? Is my cider destined for the drain? Will the sun ever shine again? Will my closet forever smell like rotten eggs?

Sounds like what they call rhino farts, a result of stressed yeast. Not using yeast nutrient could be the issue. Stirring the cider for a few minutes will degas it. Ageing will definitely help.

During primary ferment you should not have it "sealed up". The lack of oxygen can make the yeast a unhappy.

Degass (this will help to dissipate some of the Hydrogen Sulfide that has developed), reduce the room temp if possible to around 70* or so for the rest of ferment, and yes, at 3 days you could probably get away with adding a half dose of nutrient ... particularly if you take an SG reading and you still have say, at least half the sugars left.
K1 is not known for particularly high nutrient requirements nor as a big H2S producer ... but this is assuming you are vinting grape wine ... not apple juice ... so I would add a bit of nutrient and make those other changes.

Back