Suggest My First Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOutlander

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've never tried a stout or porter and would like some suggestions. I dont want to brew one until Im sure that I actually like the style. Maybe something mild to get started? Then maybe something a little higher in the IBU/ABV range. I would love to try an Oatmeal Stout, for example, but not sure where to start. What say you?

Outlander

Try a Guinness stout first. Stay away from the draught style. Tall Grass Brewing has a very nice oatmeal cream stout called Buffalo Sweat.

Try some samples if you have a brewpub or craft beer bar near you. Guinness is quite good, but it's a dry Irish stout, which is pretty different from oatmeal stouts and the kind of stouts you get from craft breweries. Guinness, while everyone says it's SOOOO heavy, has the same amount of calories and ABV as Sam Adams Light, so Guinness is a really dry, light beer, even though it is dark in color. Oatmeal stouts tend to be a little richer, more flavorful, and more complex.

When you get to the point when you want to brew one, here are some great recipes. I think if you scroll through Yooper's thread, there's an extract version if that's what you need.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/jims-oatmeal-stout-1-a-117352/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers-oatmeal-stout-210376/

If you are looking for an oatmeal stout, see if you can find Samuel Smiths. It's a good representation of the style.

Two of the best stouts I've had so far (staying away from RIS that is) is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Personally I would personally recommend staying away from Guinness, but then I've never liked it and it had actually kept me away from stouts for the longest time.

I made a Founders Lefthand Milk Stout clone, with Guinness being the only commercial stout I was familiar with. I think when people say "I don't like dark beer" they are really saying I don't like Guinness.

Agreed - Guinness has a deliberate sour flavor to it and lots of folks don't like that. Something like Left hand Milk Stout is sweet and totally different. Man, do I love it when I find that on a nitro tap.

Latest posts

Back