Sugar Do's and Dont's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicary

Reaction score
When I am priming my beer for carbonation, I want to experiment with using different sugars. Does anyone know where I can get a conversion table for this process for the varied sugars out there? (i.e. Brown sugar, honey etc...)

I would imagine that I will need to also prepare these sugar primers differently (i.e. boil times, amounts etc...) and that they will provide different flavors depending on the type of sugar I used. Any assistance with this process would be helpful.

If anyone here has done this, could you give me your opinions on what works best for the different types of beers you have brewed...and if you do/do not recommend just using a different sugar during the initial boil and using the generic sugar primer etc.

THANKS EVERYONE!! :tank:

My opinion is that it is best to stick to either sucrose (white table) or dextrose (corn sugar) for priming. If you want to add other flavors just use those other sugars as part of your fermentation.

Back