Suflur smelling belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricklayer38

Reaction score
I am a little worried about a beer I just kegged. I am about to be away for a while and I was afraid to let it go in the fermenter while I was gone. So I went ahead and bottled after 2 weeks in primary. The FG was was 1.008 with no airlock activity. When I opened up the fermenter it had a strong sulfur smell. I thought about sealing it back up and letting it go but like I said, not a real good option for me this time. I am wondering, will this sulfur smell go away with time? Should I "sparge" the keg with CO2? I tasted it and it was not bad for a 70 degF uncarbonated wit that smelled like rotten eggs...:drunk:

All the good witbiers have some sulfur. You can definitely reduce it with CO2, but please leave some in there for when you pour me one. :mug:

Wyeast smack pack 3944. When I opened the pack it smelled like a delicious Belgian wit and I was hoping my beer would smell the same way. It makes me feel a little better that 944play likes some sulfur in his wit.

since you are kegging you can transfer between 2 kegs back and forth with co2 which will reduce the sulfur odor

Easier just to purge the headspace a few times for a little scrubbing, or push CO2 in through the diptube and vent for a lot.

If it doesn't smell like someone just struck a match, then you should be okay. Belgian beers, even Wits, have some funk...they are supposed to.

Back