Styrian Goldings (Celeia)... Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
Anyone out there have an experience with Styrian Goldings (Celeia)? I have a few ounces (6.1AA) and am just not sure what to do with them. I did a few google searches but it isn't giving much.

Cheers

I use them frequently in belgian-inspired beers. Very mild hop aromatic qualities; along the lines of willamette but more mild. Mine are only 3% whole cone so I can use a fair amount at once, particularly if I'm bittering with them. British style beers would be another very viable style to use them. Golden strong, blonde (belgian or not), dark strong, sours, saisons (excellent option here); maybe bitters; pale ales (belgian or british). Lots of choices.

Ive made a few english bitters with them that I liked very well. They have a pleasant laid back lemony/herbal aroma. They are quite pleasant. They also worked in a trippel and a saison well enough for me.

I use them frequently in belgian-inspired beers. Very mild hop aromatic qualities; along the lines of willamette but more mild. Mine are only 3% whole cone so I can use a fair amount at once, particularly if I'm bittering with them. British style beers would be another very viable style to use them. Golden strong, blonde (belgian or not), dark strong, sours, saisons (excellent option here); maybe bitters; pale ales (belgian or british). Lots of choices.

Ive made a few english bitters with them that I liked very well. They have a pleasant laid back lemony/herbal aroma. They are quite pleasant. They also worked in a trippel and a saison well enough for me.

Care to share any recipes? I thought about using them in a Blonde but, if you have a recipe that is tried and true I would feel better going that route.

Cheers

The last bitter I made with them was:

1.045 90% Marris Otter (Tom Faw), 8% English 80L, 2% Brown malt (could be omitted)
Mash at 153. My water is very soft. I used a bit of gypsum to hit a 5.3 mash PH. A harder water would probably work better.

35-40 IBU, (I think I used challenger for a bittering addition, but anything not too harsh will do.)

1 oz Styrian goldings (15)
3 oz Styrian Goldings (flameout) (Probably a tad excessive, but I wanted to use up the 4oz pack)
20 min hopstand at 170.

1469 fermented at 64-66.

It was very drinkable, and a crowd pleaser. the keg only lasted 2 days.

Pappers Cherub Golden Strong: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=417562

Changes I made:
-All hops were substituted with Styrian Golding (Celeia), and I added a 1.5 oz shot at 15 minutes as well.
-More pilsner malt replaced the DME
-Grains were adjusted to my brewhouse efficiency
-PranQster bottle dregs were built up and used to ferment the batch

The results were outstanding but potent!

I just brewed a Belgian White with them this past weekend. They had a very mild aroma in the package, too the point that I was actually surprised when I took a deep nose full of them prior to dropping them in the boil. Not sure how the flavor is yet, hoping they have some citrus notes to them to add to the Belgian I made.

I know this is a few months old now, but I brewed with a small amount of these yesterday and wanted to add my two cents, since info on this variety is pretty limited. got some of these from my local store. I ordered styrian goldings but received these instead - was a little annoyed, because these are only 1.4% but in hindsight I'm glad they did. I totally got the lemony/herbal thing someone else mentioned on here, but would also say they reminded me of walking through a tomato garden. Not your typical earthy/noble style, but I think they'd work well in a traditional sense also. They should be perfect in any European style and I could even see them in an American pale ale or lager.

I made a non traditional saison, going 50/50 Pilsner and Belgian pale, with oats added instead of wheat. Using mosaic and styrian celeia for bittering and more mosaic at flameout, with a planned addition to dry hop with a small portion of mosaic and styrian celeia for a few days :) if you're on the fence about picking these up I say go for it. Note: mine are only 1.4% AA so plan accordingly.

I have used Styrian Goldings three times, for both of the Scaldis clones (Amber and Noël), and they are in the NB La Petite Orange kit. All three are Belgians. With the Scaldis, they paired with Kent Goldings. In NB, they were the sole hops, only 1 oz.
Styrian Goldings seem very clean to me. I could be talked into "lemon" or "strawberry leaf." Styrian Goldings is milder than Kent Goldings. Styrian Goldings doesn't have the oregano bite of Styrian Aurora.

Figured I should report back.

I made a blonde and it turned out fantastic. I def got a little lemon from them but not over powering.

I currently have a saison in the fermentor with about 3oz. I also have an all STyrain Golding IPA in the fermentor, 10oz. I figured why not and this way I will def get a feeling for how they are. Will report back with the IPA results.....

In the mean time if anyone comes across this I say totally get some SG. They are for sure great in a Blonde Ale with 1469

Just wanted to report back on the Celeia IPA(more of a PA)... It's awesome! Herbal, lemon, citrus. I would highly suggest these hops to anyone who is on the fence.

Cheers

They are used in Landlord and also St Austell Tribute. So pretty good as an aroma hop in British pale ales. Good floral / citrus alternative to American hops if you want a pop of freshness in your hop profile.

I used them in a rye beer I brewed this weekend. Tasted the wort from the hydrometer cylinder as I racked into the fermenter and it was...delicious. I can't wait to see how it is after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

They are nice enough but not similar to the Styrian Goldings that I am familiar with using. I would characterize them as herbal in flavor and similar to a very low alpha Sorachi or US grown Hallertau. I bought a bunch and will probably let them oxidize a few year before using them in sour beers.

Since my last post in this thread, I used Styrian Goldings as the flame out hops in my Leftover ESB. They played well with Warrior, Nugget, Brewer's Gold and Simcoe. And I used them as the aroma hops in a third Bush/Scaldis Clone, Cuvée Des Trolls with EKG as the bittering and flavor hops.

Back