WLP830 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony B

Reaction score
I am planning a to brew a Pilsner at higher than normal temperatures. Probably around 70F. I heard an old episode of Brulosophy that they used Imperial Global L13 for a lager at 72 degrees and it turned out fine. Not distinguishable from fermentation at normal lager temps. I was planning to buy the global but found a sale on the WLP830. Not sure if it’s worth saving a few bucks, but since they are technically the same strain…
Anyone have experience with this?

There’s a very informative thread here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/

Sorry I don’t have a firm answer for you. I forget which strain that is since I’ve long gone to dry yeast. I regularly ferment 34/70, Diamond Lager and cellar science German lager “warm” at 62-65f. Ive never gone up to 70. IME, all three of those, in the low 60’s are phenomenal.

There’s a very informative thread here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/

Sorry I don’t have a firm answer for you. I forget which strain that is since I’ve long gone to dry yeast. I regularly ferment 34/70, Diamond Lager and cellar science German lager “warm” at 62-65f. Ive never gone up to 70. IME, all three of those, in the low 60’s are phenomenal.
It’s the Weihenstephan strain. My understanding is that Imperial L13, WLP 830 and 34/70 are all derived from this strain.

Only one way to find out!
If you really want to drop it a few degrees, you could do the ice bottle bath or wet tee shirt methods. But I'd say give it a go. I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

It’s the Weihenstephan strain. My understanding is that Imperial L13, WLP 830 and 34/70 are all derived from this strain.
Ok, I couldn’t remember if it was I get their 800 series mixed up.

I think that’s a good starting place. There’s a lot of info supporting warm ferments of that strain, or similar variant. I’d say, lower the temp some, if able. If not, give it a go.

Only one way to find out!
If you really want to drop it a few degrees, you could do the ice bottle bath or wet tee shirt methods. But I'd say give it a go. I'm sure it'll be drinkable.
Yep. I use a wet towel sometimes and probably will with this one. I’m planning to pitch at about 68F. I don’t have temp control for fermenting, so I’m just going to do my best to keep it in the high 60’s- low 70’s. Planning to brew tomorrow.

I've used Imperial L13 (under 12-14 lb. pressure) at temperatures in the low 70's and it made nice lagers. Is pressure absolutely necessary? ... maybe not; it's just been my SOP for warm lagers in recent years. Regardless, I would use the wet T-shirt trick ... years ago the wet-T and WY2124 provided some very enjoyable brews.

I recently warm fermented with WLP830 with no ill effects. With that said there absolutely is a difference with the Weinstephaner strain when fermented cold and warm. What I notice is there is more of the traditional lager sulfur when fermented at 56F or lower. Think import pils (doesn't have to be green bottle). The warmer you get with it the cleaner, and less sulfury, it gets imo. WLP830 is 34/70 but with better repitchability and way less lag time. I had an 8+ month old pack of the new style screw top. Ended up propping that up in a 2L 1.040 and had fermenter activity within 4-5 hours. That White lab strain just wants to ferment!

With that said I have the Omega DKO variant currently going now. Between the two WLP830 took off like gangbusters and fermented a good bit quicker. Hopefully this helps!

I recently warm fermented with WLP830 with no ill effects. With that said there absolutely is a difference with the Weinstephaner strain when fermented cold and warm. What I notice is there is more of the traditional lager sulfur when fermented at 56F or lower. Think import pils (doesn't have to be green bottle). The warmer you get with it the cleaner, and less sulfury, it gets imo. WLP830 is 34/70 but with better repitchability and way less lag time. I had an 8+ month old pack of the new style screw top. Ended up propping that up in a 2L 1.040 and had fermenter activity within 4-5 hours. That White lab strain just wants to ferment!

With that said I have the Omega DKO variant currently going now. Between the two WLP830 took off like gangbusters and fermented a good bit quicker. Hopefully this helps!
I ended up buying the Imperial L13. Same strain. The beverage factory outlet I went to was out of the WLP830. Bummer because they have it on sale for under $7, but I went to my local HB mart and got the L13 for $12.99. Going to start brewing shortly. I usually build a starter, but wasn’t able to this time. Hopefully 1 full pouch of the L13 will do the trick at warmer temps. 🤞🏻

I ended up buying the Imperial L13. Same strain. The beverage factory outlet I went to was out of the WLP830. Bummer because they have it on sale for under $7, but I went to my local HB mart and got the L13 for $12.99. Going to start brewing shortly. I usually build a starter, but wasn’t able to this time. Hopefully 1 full pouch of the L13 will do the trick at warmer temps. 🤞🏻
I think you'll be just fine. May want to try sticking to around 64F and see what you think. If it's similar to wlp830 it'll accentuate the hops more so than the malt. That will keep it clean and the sulfur out.

I pitched yesterday afternoon around 4:30pm. Temp was 69F. It has dropped overnight to about 66F. I was hoping to have some airlock activity when I got up this morning, but still nothing. The date on the pouch was 12/23, so I’m wondering if it was too far gone. I guess if I don’t see activity by tomorrow morning, I’ll grab another pouch on my way home from work and pitch it.

I pitched yesterday afternoon around 4:30pm. Temp was 69F. It has dropped overnight to about 66F. I was hoping to have some airlock activity when I got up this morning, but still nothing. The date on the pouch was 12/23, so I’m wondering if it was too far gone. I guess if I don’t see activity by tomorrow morning, I’ll grab another pouch on my way home from work and pitch it.
Is that a best-by or packaged-on date? Imperial says "we back our yeast for 4 months from the manufacture date on the front of the pouch".*

Is OG ~1.050? If you aerated/oxygenated well, I wouldn't read into it with lag time up to 36hr

*Obviously handling/storage/shipping conditions matter. I imagine the guarantee assumes reasonable or perfect temperatures.

Is that a best-by or packaged-on date? Imperial says "we back our yeast for 4 months from the manufacture date on the front of the pouch".*

Is OG ~1.050? If you aerated/oxygenated well, I wouldn't read into it with lag time up to 36hr

*Obviously handling/storage/shipping conditions matter. I imagine the guarantee assumes reasonable or perfect temperatures.
I believe that’s packaging date. OG 1.045
To oxygenate , I rack to FV with short hose so it splashes a lot.Temp dropped further to about 64F.
Im hoping to see some activity by tonight. 🤞🏻

Before bed last night, around 11pm, there was still no bubbling in the airlock, although it did seem to be building pressure slowly throughout the day, I was set to buy another pouch of yeast on my way home from work today.
When I checked on it before work this morning it was bubbling away. 🎉
Scary long lag time for a newb brewer. I’m just going to let it do its thing.
I appreciate all of the advice. 🍻

Latest posts

Back